You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Buy seconds?  (Read 6784 times)

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
Buy seconds?
« on: October 01, 2011, 07:37:48 PM »
My brother is looking to buy a pair of RF4 boots with a Club 2000 blade, the size that fits has a second blade - there is a large chip in the chrome around the toe pick, its on both sides around the bottom tooth of the pick & is about 2cm long & 1cm high.

We asked to have new blades put on that are non defective but they have to talk to the boss & get back to us. If they won't swap & the defect would affect the life or quality of the blade then I figure we can ask just to buy a new pair without defective blades.

The shop has discounted the boot/blade set by $100 because of the defect, but I don't know if its worth buying? Opinions??

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: Buy seconds?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »
Any chance you can get a photo?

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 01:34:43 AM »
Bah, I didn't think of that! We've all seen chrome chip - this is exactly like that a pretty sizeable chip out of the front of the blade on either side, leaving behind a dull grey - not shiny of course. I'll see if I can mock it up on a picture of my blades....

Offline aussieskater

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 03:35:28 AM »
You're right kiwi, we've all seen chrome chip, especially those of us who were unfortunate to get those faulty blades from Ultima a few years ago, and whose pro shop said "sure, we can send those blades back to Ultima to look at for you ... via a slow boat ... and there aren't any replacement blades for your boots until they reply ... but sure we can send them back".  (Bitter?  Me??)  I wore those blades out in the end, and the peeling chrome didn't make any difference to the blade except for looking ugly.

As long as you're confident the damage is only cosmetic, then I can't see any reason to leave them.  My concern is that from your description the "chrome chip" might extend across the pick, and it's the bottom (aka important) pick.

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 02:52:45 PM »
Yeah unfortunately I didn't look at the tip of the pick but I noticed the pattern was the same on both sides like it might extend over the pick. I'm quite tempted to say skip and get new blades even if it means ordering a new pair of boots, knowing how they dragged their feet on my rust issues I can't help but wonder if there turned out to be more than cosmetic damage they would fob it off to purchasing seconds...

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 12:55:01 AM »
You can fit new blades to the RF4s and Club 2000 are relatively cheap blades, so you might be able to get a new pair of club 2000 for less than the $100 you're being given (I don't know NZ$ exchange rate, but I know that Club 2000 are less than US$100. It's worth looking into. So you might just have been offered a bargain.

Offline aussieskater

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 01:10:31 AM »
You can fit new blades to the RF4s and Club 2000 are relatively cheap blades, so you might be able to get a new pair of club 2000 for less than the $100 you're being given (I don't know NZ$ exchange rate, but I know that Club 2000 are less than US$100. It's worth looking into. So you might just have been offered a bargain.

Good point about the price of Club 2000s fsk8r.  Kiwi, before going that route, I'd suggest you check that a trusted skate pro is willing to swap blades on PVC soled boots - a lot of pros won't touch PVC soles, and IIRC the RF4s have PVC soles.

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 02:08:25 AM »

Thanks for the tip - they sell them for $199.99 new here, (today's exchange rate is US$1=NZ$0.76).... The combo as new costs $450, so unless you think there is a great bargain to be had somewhere? Recommendations?

Good point about the price of Club 2000s fsk8r.  Kiwi, before going that route, I'd suggest you check that a trusted skate pro is willing to swap blades on PVC soled boots - a lot of pros won't touch PVC soles, and IIRC the RF4s have PVC soles.

Thanks for the advice, don't know what our shop will do - wait & see what offer they come up with regarding new blade/new boots.

Offline aussieskater

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 03:58:17 AM »
Well well well.  Looks like the Club 2000 is a discontinued line??  The price you quoted for the Club 2000 seemed extremely high to me, so I just hit the websites of some of my fave US online stores for prices on that blade.  To my surprise, I discovered that most of them no longer have the Club 2000 on their product line, so I went to the MK home page and found it's not listed there any more either (and it used to be):
http://www.mkblades.com/mk-blades.html

A bit of further googling took me to:
http://www.facebook.com/riedellskates/posts/387595915372 - look at Reidell's answer to Stacy Chin's question, dated May 2010, so over a year ago.

I think someone's trying to take you for a ride here.  Isn't this the same pro shop which has been giving you the run around on your own blade problems?  Now you know your brother's size in Risport RF4's, I'd suggest it's time to hop online.  Even with shipping factored in, you might be better off - and hopefully wouldn't be getting a damaged run-out blade in the process!

Here's a new men's RF4 set I found on skatebuys.com.  I have bought from these guys and their service was good, but shipping was a little slow:
http://www.skate-buys.com/rirf4mefiskb.html

Here's a new ebay set I found using a quick search - they don't say they ship to NZ but they seem to ship everywhere else so it might be worth a question.  I know nothing about these guys, just found them on an ebay search:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RISPORT-RF4-SKATES-BLACK-ALL-SIZES-FREE-UK-DELIVERY-/150464041078?pt=UK_SportingGoods_IceSkates_RL&var=&hash=item68c69876a0

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 04:24:07 AM »
Hadn't realised they'd discontinued the Club 2000. Any other blade of that level would be suitable and should hopefully give you  a cost saving.

My skate shop seems quite happy changing the blades on the RF4 (PVC sole). The top end Edea boots all come with some sort of plastic sole to make them lightweight, so the issue isn't the PVC. I think some of the low level boots come with the blades riveted in place which prevents any sort of replacement.

Although I have to agree, if you can get a cost saving by buying the boots overseas and you can get a refund because of the damage, then I'd have the boots shipped in. It might take a while, but the cost savings might be worth the wait.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 03:03:39 PM »
I didn't know that anyone sold Club 2000's as standalone blades.  I always thought they were stock blades that only came as part of a set with a pair of boots.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »
Well well well.  Looks like the Club 2000 is a discontinued line??  The price you quoted for the Club 2000 seemed extremely high to me, so I just hit the websites of some of my fave US online stores for prices on that blade.  To my surprise, I discovered that most of them no longer have the Club 2000 on their product line, so I went to the MK home page and found it's not listed there any more either (and it used to be):
http://www.mkblades.com/mk-blades.html

A bit of further googling took me to:
http://www.facebook.com/riedellskates/posts/387595915372 - look at Reidell's answer to Stacy Chin's question, dated May 2010, so over a year ago.

I think someone's trying to take you for a ride here.  Isn't this the same pro shop which has been giving you the run around on your own blade problems?  Now you know your brother's size in Risport RF4's, I'd suggest it's time to hop online.  Even with shipping factored in, you might be better off - and hopefully wouldn't be getting a damaged run-out blade in the process!

Here's a new men's RF4 set I found on skatebuys.com.  I have bought from these guys and their service was good, but shipping was a little slow:
http://www.skate-buys.com/rirf4mefiskb.html

Here's a new ebay set I found using a quick search - they don't say they ship to NZ but they seem to ship everywhere else so it might be worth a question.  I know nothing about these guys, just found them on an ebay search:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RISPORT-RF4-SKATES-BLACK-ALL-SIZES-FREE-UK-DELIVERY-/150464041078?pt=UK_SportingGoods_IceSkates_RL&var=&hash=item68c69876a0

Thanks so much! You are right these are the same guys that gave me the run around, hence my reluctance to trust them - the problem is they are all we have (yuck!).

I saw that post on facebook last year but it doesn't seem to have made much difference, many people still have the blade in stock, especially like in this case where it comes mounted as the standard blade.

Looking at that ebay link they come with MK IV Blades, any good?

I didn't know that anyone sold Club 2000's as standalone blades.  I always thought they were stock blades that only came as part of a set with a pair of boots.
They apparently sell them both ways at our shop...

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 05:02:38 AM »
Mark IV are good beginner blades. Similar to Club 2000.
Should be in the US$50 price range.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 06:30:39 AM »
Changing blades on PVC soles is an artform that most blade mounters refuse to do; drilling out PVC is very different from doing it to a leather sole. Our does, but, apparently, he's rare - and even he is reluctant.  Edeas are not the same material: there is designed for blade mounting.

Club 2000 were long sold as standalone blades ... we bought them a couple of times back in the day ...

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 02:50:25 PM »
We heard back yesterday, they would change the blade but its too much trouble basically. So we're left pondering how to buy new - that ebay listing is heaps cheaper than what we get here, seems items from the UK are much more favourable in price than the US...but if anyone knows some more reputable places we can check out?

How do we know what is a good place to buy skates online??

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »
Tidewater Ice has good prices and ships internationally from the US.  I've bought blades from them twice now and had no problem at all.

http://www.tidewaterice.com/mds%20faq.htm

ETA: Never mind, I didn't realize they only sold Jackson and Riedell skates.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 03:59:43 AM »
Have a look at Everglides in the UK. I've had two pairs of boots from him now and can't fault the service. I don't know if he ships internationally, but don't see why he wouldn't as it's not different to posting boots within the UK. It just might take a day or two longer to reach you. 

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 06:33:15 AM »
Another vote for Everglides if you are going to ship them in from the UK. I just ordered my 2nd pair from there yesterday! Very helpful and knowledgeable!

He's apparently doing things for Dancing on Ice so his really busy at the moment. His shop is shut for the rest of this week and only open Monday and Tuesday next week from what he was saying yesterday. http://www.everglides.co.uk/zc/ (Click on the facebook link on that page to find out his opening times.) He may have more in stock than is on his website or can easily order them in.

Do you have to pay an import tax of some kind on things arriving in NZ that may bump up the overall cost?

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 03:02:41 PM »
Do you have to pay an import tax of some kind on things arriving in NZ that may bump up the overall cost?

Don't know, sometimes you can get small items in OK without the tax because they are for personal use, but if they are significantly cheaper we should be able to allow for that - the pair on ebay is nearly 1/2 the price we get them for here retail.

I will check this guy out - thanks for the tips!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 04:16:00 AM »
Don't know, sometimes you can get small items in OK without the tax because they are for personal use, but if they are significantly cheaper we should be able to allow for that - the pair on ebay is nearly 1/2 the price we get them for here retail.

I will check this guy out - thanks for the tips!

You should be able to find out whether you're liable for tax by looking at the NZ Tax office website. The UK version sets out what the maximum value of goods coming in has to be before tax is payable (there's normally two rates, one for gifts and one for purchases). Although I find it's hit and miss when I receive goods from overseas. Sometimes I get charged tax and other times I don't.

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »
Ours is controlled by customs and I've read their website before but I'm never clear. Looking at it now, maybe *sigh*

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 08:07:12 AM »
Ours is controlled by customs and I've read their website before but I'm never clear. Looking at it now, maybe *sigh*

So is ours. But they don't necessarily check all the post on the plane when it lands.
Also customs aren't necessarily all into the nuances of figure skates, so don't necessarily know the value that should be attributed to them if you know what I mean. You can go down sports shops and buy a pair of skates for $20 if you wanted to and to a non-expert eye what the difference between those and the custom ones?

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 01:01:42 AM »
So is ours. But they don't necessarily check all the post on the plane when it lands.
Also customs aren't necessarily all into the nuances of figure skates, so don't necessarily know the value that should be attributed to them if you know what I mean. You can go down sports shops and buy a pair of skates for $20 if you wanted to and to a non-expert eye what the difference between those and the custom ones?

Well it does say that all items should have a valuation declared on the outside of the package, but you have a point - be prepared to pay but you might get lucky (sure could do with some of that right now!)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 08:47:12 AM »
Well it does say that all items should have a valuation declared on the outside of the package, but you have a point - be prepared to pay but you might get lucky (sure could do with some of that right now!)

My sister does import brokerage and she told me that the sender is supposed to file a customs declaration of value when they send the package.

My brother had a business assignment in the UK for almost a year, traveling back to the US periodically.  As a birthday gift, he bought me two pair of Gold Seals - went to the factory and everything!   Since it was a gift, he was able to bring it back duty-free. If you know someone in the UK, that might be an option.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 09:47:53 AM »
My sister does import brokerage and she told me that the sender is supposed to file a customs declaration of value when they send the package.

My brother had a business assignment in the UK for almost a year, traveling back to the US periodically.  As a birthday gift, he bought me two pair of Gold Seals - went to the factory and everything!   Since it was a gift, he was able to bring it back duty-free. If you know someone in the UK, that might be an option.

The limits for importing goods into a country differ for bringing items in personally like your brother did and for mailing items. And every country has their own limits. There are also different limits again for buying second-hand goods from overseas (such as buying used boots or blades on ebay). It's a bit of a minefield.