You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boot Painting Q&A  (Read 7611 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Boot Painting Q&A
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:03:29 AM »
A bit OT: do you know how to paint skates?  Could you post some tips in the Pro Shop forum?  Please? 

I have no clue and I've always wondered how to get it even and over the tongue, etc.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
Boot Painting Q&A
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »
Most synchro teams either tape or spray paint their skates tan to get them all to match.  Paint is better, as it protects the boot.  Tape is easier, but can get moist underneath and rot out the boot.

We've done both, and I'd be glad to answer any questions!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
Re: Boot Painting Q&A
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »
Most white skates come with brown heels and soles.  Personally, I think black boots & brown heels/soles looks sharp, but not that might not be to everyone's taste.

How do you prep the boots and heels/soles to be painted?
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 04:43:11 PM »
Dd "painted" her soles with artwork.  The skate shop sanded the sole surface and gave her a bunch of colored pens.  She sketched what she wanted and then filled in with the pens - maybe they are gel paint? When she was finished, they varnished and waxed and then seal/mount the blade.

Normally the skate person does the artwork himself - he can do custom stuff and popular stuff.  It range from $0 to $150.  He said a lot of girls want to do their own but then get it in front of them and back out.  Dd spent about 30 minutes on it and is very pleased with the results. 

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:45:01 PM »
If I painted my boots (I haven't), I would try it out on a part of the tongue that is obscured, let it dry, and see if it rubbed off.

Tape has a really big advantage: It comes off. You can change your mind!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:14:06 PM »
We had a shoe repair store paint the boots; they painted them, then "baked" them and the colour was set in and permanent. It didn't rub off, and it held up very well under heavy usage.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 09:08:03 PM »
What type of spray paint do you use, if you DIY?
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 10:37:13 PM »
I've contemplated going after mine with some textile paint... I was going to use lumiere or neopaque.

Mostly what is stopping me is not knowing what color I want :)

Offline Schmeck

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 03:51:01 PM »
Just looked under the sink to see if we still had an old can of skate paint, but we don't.  It's been 4 years since synchro now, so most of the stuff has been thrown out.

To spray paint skates, you need to get a paint made for leather.  Remove the laces, make sure the skate is clean and dry.  Stuff the insides with newspaper, and tape around the soles and heel with painter's tape or masking tape.  Cover the blade with plastic wrap.  Pull the tongue out as far and straight as you can!

My husband used to anchor the skate in his vise.  Then spray away!  Use constant, even strokes, go light on the spray, let it dry, and do it again.  Have q-tips, paintbrushes and paper towels handy to wipe up drips/spread the paint where needed.

If you have any old skates, practice on them first :)

To tape skates - we had to do black soles, white boots.  It's way more complicated to explain, but you basically do the bottoms first, then the sides of the soles.  Go up into the boot a tiny bit, about a third of an inch.  Switch over to the boot, doing as much taping horizontally as you can.  Avoid vertical taping, for some reason it comes undone.

Offline Schmeck

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »
What type of spray paint do you use, if you DIY?

Found a can in the basement!  Meltonian Nu-Life Color Spray,  2.5 oz spray can has a $7.99 sticker on top.  Lovely shade # 640 Bark (otherwise known as ugly synchro tan)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 05:27:58 PM »
I thought it would be more expensive - that's a cheap way to renew/reuse skates.  Thanks for all the tips!
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 06:22:10 PM »
Every time this thread comes up I misread it as "Body Painting Q&A."   88)
Things that make you go hmmmm . . .

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 06:12:11 AM »
Here is another thread: http://skatingforums.com/index.php/topic,700.0.html

Bearing in mind again that I'm too afraid to do it:

I asked the guy from GAM [or was it Harlick?] about re-polishing earlier this year. He said leather skates boots do breath. And that it is desirable to retain that. Some paints won't do that, else sweat will build up inside the boot. Bad for feet and for leather.

He said the outer plastic clear coat layer which helps keep the polish durable and improves gloss (he wasn't sure all boot companies used the same composition) should probably be removed first, and re-applied afterwards. But he didn't sound like he had ever re-polished boots, so don't take that as certain.

The pro shop manager at The Rink in "Ithaca, NY sells Reidell brand spray polish for skate boots, and the "leather preparer" that is supposed to be used first - I don't know whether it it removes the clear coat, or allows the polish to stick to it. He said he often re-polishes skate boots to good effect. Don't recall whether he sanded them first - many shoe guys do that if the leather isn't smooth any more. It may or may not be a primer that helps polish stick to leather. Reidell customer service may be a good source of info on their products. The boot manufacturer for your boots may also be a good source.

Here is a very non-serious idea, to be ignored except in the imagination: Perhaps marine grade gel coat would stick to almost any plastic clear coat (it sticks to several different resins). It's very high gloss, and simply gorgeous. Boat builders often add sparkles to it if you really want to stick out! (Tee-hee.) Many marine gel coat kits let you mix and max color dyes into the resin, to get any color you want. The resin and hardener are toxic and carcinogenic, so you need filter masks, excellent ventilation and gloves - almost certainly more hassle than it is worth. No way could gel coat breath - the same resin is used to seal some composite (e.g., fiberglass+resin) boats. (Valley Mill Kayak used to be well known for doing absolutely stunning gel coat artwork.)