You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Sergers  (Read 3383 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Sergers
« on: August 14, 2011, 07:41:39 PM »
For those who sew... what sergers do you own? I bought one in February and it worked awesome until I started changing the color of my thread. I returned the 1st one after 2 months and just last week went to return the new machine(Janome Juno 3434D). The first time I took it in, it seemed it was a tension issue. The seam would hold but the top stiches would loosen and you would see the seam on the outside of the frabic. Now, if I wanted that look it would be ok(LOL), but I am not sure that is a look I am going for when making dd's skating dresses. I am frustrated because I am in the middle of making dd's new showcase dress and I wanted to get it done on my day off from work(um today!) AND on a day that I do not have to go to the ice rink(again, TODAY!). Earlier this week, I made dd a practice dress and used bright pink thread. I needed to change the thread color for this dress. The machine was re-threaded and of coarse, it has decided to not work right. Figures! GRUMBLE. We have re-threaded it and re-threaded it trying to make sure we did it correctly. Both my husband and I have successfully threaded this machine before. I don't get it. I am so frustrated it is not funny. I was so excited to sew this dress. I have it cut out and ready to go... only I cannot sew it! I would use my standard machine but the I threw the tension out on it sewing skating dresses(LOL)...hence the reason I bought the serger.

Last year I borrowed a high end serger and never, EVER had the issues I am having right now. Sure, threading it was a bit of a pain(I imagine this is an issue with most sergers), but threading it did not wig the machine out. I am thinking I need to save my pennies and invest in a better machine but in the meantime, I need to find a low end serger that others have had success with. I am beyond frustrated and just want a reliable machine. Granted, I am new to using a serger(and sewing in general...been making skating dresses for about 1.5 yrs and sewing off and on for about 3) but I would feel a lot less frustrated if I didn't have to worry about my machine working or not working everytime I went to re-thread it. Too bad I couldn't use white or black for all my sewing needs. :) I am planning to take a class, but haven't been able to do so yet. I am thinking this will help also. I'm going to go and play with the tension a bit to see if I can get it to work. I really need to get this dress finished. She needs it in a little over a month. I can get it finished quickly, but I cannot do it if my machine is acting up.

If anyone has an idea of what the problem could be, I would love any feedback. It is possible this is a user error, but it seems like a tension issue to me.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Sergers
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 08:00:16 PM »
I have a Brother 1034D.  I think it may be one of the cheapest ones you can get.  It has worked perfectly for my needs, is easy to thread, and has a variety of functions (no coverstitch).  I've used it with a variety of materials, but never something as thin as chiffon.  I love how fast I can make knit shirts using it- wow.  Haven't done a skating dress yet, but have used similar fabric and it lays nice and flat.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:06:27 PM »
I have a hand-me-down little Singer serger that I had a lot of trouble with when I first started using it.  It's okay, I'm very careful in threading and cleaning it, but I'm sure a high-end machine would be more reliable.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 11:15:41 PM »
Mine's a Bernina 800DL.  Several years old now and still going strong.

@isakswings - here are some suggestions to maybe get you going again.

• Have you given your machine a good cleanout?  Sometimes they have hissy fits if they have microscopic pieces of lint caught in them.  Don't forget under the needle/knife plate, and the tension discs at the top (can use dental floss for these, or another string which doesn't shed).
  • Change out both needles if you have spare ones handy.  A slightly bent needle can fail to collect the thread from the stitch finger.
  • As a last resort, try using reels from the same manufacturer (eg: all Coates or all Gutermann or whatever) in all thread paths (loopers and needles).  Although my machine usually "plays nice" if I use different manufacturers' reels through the various thread paths, I've heard from friends of their machines refusing to behave if the needle reels are from a different manufacturer than the looper reels.

Good luck with it all.  Misbehaving sergers are the pits.   

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 05:26:26 PM »
I have an older Huskylock.  I suggest changing the needle and making sure it's a stretch needle.   I have heard good things about the Brother 1034 mentioned.

When I first got a serger I sewed a sample book, which took me several hours.  I sewed every sort of fabric I could find and played with the stitch settings until I got good results.  Then I saved that sample in a small book stapled to a page and wrote down the settings.    I've done that with every machine since, even some of the straight stitch machines that I use.       I will say that I really hate sewing rolled hems for chiffon skirts on the serger, they're so tricky I always do samples before with scraps of the actual fabric.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 08:29:36 AM »
I have a Brother 1034D.  I think it may be one of the cheapest ones you can get.  It has worked perfectly for my needs, is easy to thread, and has a variety of functions (no coverstitch).  I've used it with a variety of materials, but never something as thin as chiffon.  I love how fast I can make knit shirts using it- wow.  Haven't done a skating dress yet, but have used similar fabric and it lays nice and flat.

Thanks! My friend has this machine and likes it. She makes dresses for her girls as well as other things without any issues. I considered that model as well but decided to get the one I currently own instead! OY. I may be trading mine in. Hee hee! I did figure out how to get it going again tho. Seems it was a bit of user error too, so not entirely the machine's fault.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 08:36:10 AM »
I have a hand-me-down little Singer serger that I had a lot of trouble with when I first started using it.  It's okay, I'm very careful in threading and cleaning it, but I'm sure a high-end machine would be more reliable.

Thanks. I think if I continue to do this, I may want to invest in a better machine. I also think a lot of the problem is that I am new to the serging world. I've since discovered a trick that I think is helping me out now. I read a post online that suggested turning all the tension knobs to zero when re-threading the machine. I did that and then reset the tension knobs after threading and my machine works now! I really think I need to take a serging class. A lot of my frustrations are likely because I don't know what I am doing. Higher end machines are easier to use(know this from borrowing the Bernina...lol), but I bet mine will work if I just knew how to use it correctly. :) I am still thinking of switching to the Brother machine Skittl mentioned but I will have to sell my machine first. oy.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 08:40:32 AM »
I have an older Huskylock.  I suggest changing the needle and making sure it's a stretch needle.   I have heard good things about the Brother 1034 mentioned.

When I first got a serger I sewed a sample book, which took me several hours.  I sewed every sort of fabric I could find and played with the stitch settings until I got good results.  Then I saved that sample in a small book stapled to a page and wrote down the settings.    I've done that with every machine since, even some of the straight stitch machines that I use.       I will say that I really hate sewing rolled hems for chiffon skirts on the serger, they're so tricky I always do samples before with scraps of the actual fabric.

A sample book sounds great! I may have to try that! I am thinking about switching to the Brother machine mentioned but I would have to sell my machine first. I do think much of my trouble is that I am new to using a serger. I figured out how to fix the tension on my machine and got it going. YEAH! I guess until I can change out my machine, I will have to learn by trial and error and hope for the best. lol

Offline isakswings

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 08:46:41 AM »
Mine's a Bernina 800DL.  Several years old now and still going strong.

@isakswings - here are some suggestions to maybe get you going again.

• Have you given your machine a good cleanout?  Sometimes they have hissy fits if they have microscopic pieces of lint caught in them.  Don't forget under the needle/knife plate, and the tension discs at the top (can use dental floss for these, or another string which doesn't shed).
  • Change out both needles if you have spare ones handy.  A slightly bent needle can fail to collect the thread from the stitch finger.
  • As a last resort, try using reels from the same manufacturer (eg: all Coates or all Gutermann or whatever) in all thread paths (loopers and needles).  Although my machine usually "plays nice" if I use different manufacturers' reels through the various thread paths, I've heard from friends of their machines refusing to behave if the needle reels are from a different manufacturer than the looper reels.

Good luck with it all.  Misbehaving sergers are the pits.   

Thanks! Yes, I clean it out frequently. I was researching my serger and came across a post that suggested turning all the tension knobs to 0 when you are rethreading the machine. I did that, rethreaded the machine, reset the tension and it WORKED!!! I guess I need to be patient with this machine. I still would like a diffferent machine, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side either. I should have bought the Brother machine mentioned in this thread. I ALMOST did and then opted for mine. OOPS. Oh well, whose to say I wouldn't be having the same issues with it? Thanks again!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 05:54:44 PM »
I was researching my serger and came across a post that suggested turning all the tension knobs to 0 when you are rethreading the machine. I did that, rethreaded the machine, reset the tension and it WORKED!!!

Isakswings, so glad you got your machine working again.  Oops sorry I didn't mention the tension thing; it's so automatic for me to do it now.  My machine also needs tension discs disengaged when threading or it won't work - that might be common to all sergers?

When you make your sample book (great idea - I still refer back to mine all the time), could I suggest you add one type of  stitching run which is never mentioned but which has saved my backside more than once:  take a decent size scrap of either white or black fabric, and mark the right side in some way if the right side isn't absolutely clear.  My sampler for this kind of stitch run was made from black satin so no need to mark.

Set the stitch wide-ish and longish for ease of viewing later, and run a different colour thread through each thread path.  I'm not sure if your serger colour-codes the thread paths - if it does, match your thread to the thread path colour (red through the red path, blue through the blue, etc).  For each separate set-up on your machine (4 thread, 3 thread, roll hem etc), make a separate colour-coded sample run.

This sample allows you to easily detect which thread path is forming which part of the stitch, both front and back.  It makes it much easier to identify the guilty party next time your machine won't form a nice stitch.  It's also very helpful if you're changing fabrics and want to adjust a particular characteristic of the stitch for that fabric - you can use the sample to work out which thread path tension you want to adjust a bit.

Have fun!  Sergers are the best - when they behave!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »
I guess I need to be patient with this machine.

I know this is an older thread but this holds true for most sergers... patience is key, and if you do end up frustrated with something, it's usually best to take a break rather than force it.

I have two relatively high-end sergers (a Pfaff 4874 and a BabyLock Imagine) and the Pfaff is VERY picky about the "order" in which it is threaded.  It has to be upper looper then lower looper (which is counter intuitive, as it would seem to make more sense to thread everything from right to left), or it simply will not form stitches correctly (usually it breaks one of the looper threads, forcing you to start over, but if you're doing it wrong, it just creates a nasty cycle).  The Babylock doesn't have that problem (but it has air-jet threading, which you can only use with the loopers in a specific position, so it kind of prevents it by not allowing you to thread it in a different position).

A caution about using "stretch" needles in your serger, some are quite picky about needle type... make sure you don't need to be using a special needle before opting to try a generic stretch needle.  My Pfaff needs specific needles for coverstitching or it will skip stitches.

Another suggestion I have is to take the scraps leftover from cutting out your pattern, and test the actual fabrics to make sure your threads/tension/etc will work well for a given fabric.  I often have to make adjustments, particularly on the Pfaff (which I mostly use for coverstitching)  It's always best to double check rather than guess :)

If you are shopping for a different machine, I can also recommend the Brother 1034D - I had one for many years, and I sold it when I bought to a machine that did coverstitching (thinking I didn't need two sergers).  It only took me a few months to regret selling it, at which point I went in search of a second serger, which is how I ended up with my Imagine - it was well out of my price range (so was my pfaff but I got a really good deal on it) but after sitting down at it I knew I had to have it.