You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Jackson Premiere boots  (Read 18496 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Jackson Premiere boots
« on: February 17, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »
It is time once again to get new boots. I've had dd measured, but now we are trying to decide on boots. Jackson suggested the Premiere boot. She is pre-preliminary skating about 4 days a week for about 7-9 hours a week. She is landing axels and just starting to get a double sal. She will be working on doubles this spring and summer. She is learning a flying camel too. Unfortunately, we do not have access to a pro-shop. We have a fitter available to us, but we cannot go to a store and try on different models. So, I decided I would come here and see if anyone has worn these before. My daughter had a pair of Freestyle skates she liked before.

Thanks!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Jackson Premiere boots
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:17:41 PM »
Stiff, heavy, hard to bend. They are stiffer than the Competitor, which were pretty stiff as well.  The issue also isn't the jumps, it is also your daughter's height, weight, etc. 

If the Freestyles worked, why not stay with them? They are more than capable of taking a skater through axels and doubles; you also do not want to overboot a growing child, as that will lead to all sorts of potential knee and hip problems.  How fast did she break in the Freestyles? Is she happy in them?  If she's secure and landing the jumps well in the boots, didn't break them down in a couple of months, then, I would stay with them.  Me, I would rather somewhat underboot a kid and give them that ability to use a deep knee bend and a soft landing than overboot them and have them come down hard on their joints, or spend a long time breaking them in.  You'll probably end up replacing them due to growth before you replace them due to breaking them down; so, take the cash you save by buying the lower level boots and pay for better blades (or more lessons  :angel:)

My kid lands up to a 2A, and has a death drop that - well it's quite impressive - and is wearing about the equivalent of a Competitor - at 5'9" and 135 pounds.  Also is able to stroke with deep knee bend, land softly with a deep knee bend, and has an ability to hold even a wonky landing because the boot flexes.  Also, has absolutely no hip, knee, or back problems as the joints "flex" on landing to give a natural cushion. Skates about 8 hours a week .. 5 days a week. Another kid, same size, different coach: about 2 boot levels up, and you can see the difference in the transitions, the landings (the landings "jar" because the kid can't bend the boot properly) - skates "on" the ice instead of "into" the ice because just can't get the same deep knee bend to get the edges and turns down well.

(okay, I do rant on the subject of over and under booting ... sorry ... just see too many kids, at all levels, hampered by overly stiff boots who are skating with unflexed knees and poor edges because they can't get "into" the ice.  Our coaching team are all strong advocates of light-booting skaters, and you can see the benefits in the kids they produce. Expect to get lots of differing opinions here; it's one of those topics that many people feel strongly about).

Offline isakswings

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:16:52 PM »
Thanks! She was in Freestyles last year and when she outgrew those, she went into some hand-me-down competitors. Those didn't fit her very well(1/2 size too big and reg width and so on). Anyway... we replaced those with Reidell Gold Stars. The rink had the boots in stock and they happened to be the size we needed. They were an older model so they sold them to us for a song. I was a little worried about the break in, but she did great. Within 2 months, her landing foot boot, was creasing more then her Freestyles had ever creased! I was shocked. The boots are not broken down, but are very broken in now. Dd was actually starting to say they didn't feel stiff enough any more. I thought about freestyles too. I know girls who use them that are landing doubles too. I know they are good boots. I guess I just worry about her breaking them down. We'll see. Oh and dd is 89 pounds and 4 ft 11.5 in tall.

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »
I like the Premiere.  It fits a niche between the Freestyle and the Elite that the Competitor didn't  do well, and the quality of the Competitor was declining.   In any case, buy your own blades and have them mounted.     The Premiere also has a slightly nicer footbed.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 11:14:54 PM »
Why not stay in Riedell, then? Switching boot manufacturers can be a problem as each has it's own cant and last.  Jacksons and Riedells have a different heel height, as we can attest to; it was a transition when we went to the Riedells.

I am surprised about the GoldStar breaking in that fast. It's a high level boot - it's rated for triples - and your DD being able to bend it easily is interesting. If your DD is that tiny and breaking in a GoldStar that fast, then, there are a couple of things to consider: maybe the GoldStars were not the right size (too wide) or your kid has amazingly powerful legs/jump landings that might need the stiffer boot.  What does her coach say? Does she want the same stiffness as her current Riedells, or stiffer or lighter?

Offline isakswings

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 11:13:32 AM »
No, the boots aren't too big in any way. They actually fit her better then any other pair of boots she has owned thus far. Except now they are getting too small. LOL! She is starting to complain that her toes are hurting.

Dd isn't an extremely powerful jumper so I do not know why she broke the Gold Stars in the way she did. There were boots that the pro shop at the rink had for quite awhile. They had odered them and then they did not work for the skater they ordered them for. I don't know if age has anything to do with it or not. I was actually shocked she broke them in the way she did. She was landing axels in about a week after moving into them and was lacing them up to the top! She had very few blisters and I she did not complain much during the break in process.

Why not stick with Riedell? They are pricier then the Jackson boots. We went with Riedell last year because we were able to buy the boots for 100.00 and dd seemed to like them. Dd liked her Jackson boots too. We're looking into our options now. I wish we couldgoto a pro shopand try on boots. Blindly ordering is hard.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
I agree to be careful about over-booting...my dd at only 9 (90 lbs maybe) was wearing the Jacksons -- one of the Elites and they were so stiff, she ended up with an injury.   She hated them.   She has Klingbeil now and she is in love.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 12:36:56 PM »
Yes, a GoldStar would be more money than a freestyle ... but, granted I'm looking at Canadian prices, but, the Freestyle is $269 boot only; the the Premiere is between $289 and $319 ... if you're looking at a Freestyle equivalent in Riedell, I would think that maybe a 255 which is $286 boot only - ? or a 435 which is $354- ?  It's not a huge difference, and if she likes Riedell, and they fit her feet well, then, that's good to know. Those are traditional series boots ... the lightweight ones have different price points.   The lightweight 1310 aren't available in Juniors, unfortunately, but, the 910s are.

I hate buying boots. Once we found a brand and a model that worked, we just stuck with it :) Cut down on my stress a great deal.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 03:56:59 PM »
Yes, a GoldStar would be more money than a freestyle ... but, granted I'm looking at Canadian prices, but, the Freestyle is $269 boot only; the the Premiere is between $289 and $319 ... if you're looking at a Freestyle equivalent in Riedell, I would think that maybe a 255 which is $286 boot only - ? or a 435 which is $354- ?  It's not a huge difference, and if she likes Riedell, and they fit her feet well, then, that's good to know. Those are traditional series boots ... the lightweight ones have different price points.   The lightweight 1310 aren't available in Juniors, unfortunately, but, the 910s are.

I hate buying boots. Once we found a brand and a model that worked, we just stuck with it :) Cut down on my stress a great deal.

We love love love the 1310s!!! Both kids have been in them since they came out.Great boot!
There is a auction for the 910s brand new from Riedell 150.00 ends monday. Its for the Memorial fund. If you want the  site let me know

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 06:44:09 PM »
I switched from Freestyles to Premieres and I love them.  The new boots seem higher quality overall.  However, I also loved my Freestyles, but they were a whole size too big and broke down in less than 6 months.  I got Premieres based on skaterslanding advice.  I agree that they are stiff, but that is why they were recommended - I am at 200lbs (6"2") and putting on a little more as my muscles build up.  My boots are still pretty stiff after a couple of months in them.  I feel clunky, but my coach and others say I look a lot more secure, fluid and controlled.

That is a lot of boot, though, for a lighter skater not doing multiple rotations.  My vote would be for the Freestyles (I am a Jacksonite.)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:22:04 PM »

She's in a womans size shoe, so no worries about junior sizes. We went ahead and ordered the Premiere. If it feels too stiff, we will send it back to Jackson and order the Freestyle boot. It would be so much easier if we had a full service proshop! I agree about sticking with the same brand and honestly, we would have kept her in Jackson's if we hadn't found an amazing deal on the Gold Star boot. :) Buying skates stresses me out since they are such a HUGE investment. UGH.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 06:26:32 PM »
We love love love the 1310s!!! Both kids have been in them since they came out.Great boot!
There is a auction for the 910s brand new from Riedell 150.00 ends monday. Its for the Memorial fund. If you want the  site let me know

Really??? Yes, I would like that site link. That is a good price. I get so stressed whenever I have to buy her boots. We are getting the Premiere boots for just under 300 through the rink. They will send them back if they don't work for us though.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »
I switched from Freestyles to Premieres and I love them.  The new boots seem higher quality overall.  However, I also loved my Freestyles, but they were a whole size too big and broke down in less than 6 months.  I got Premieres based on skaterslanding advice.  I agree that they are stiff, but that is why they were recommended - I am at 200lbs (6"2") and putting on a little more as my muscles build up.  My boots are still pretty stiff after a couple of months in them.  I feel clunky, but my coach and others say I look a lot more secure, fluid and controlled.

That is a lot of boot, though, for a lighter skater not doing multiple rotations.  My vote would be for the Freestyles (I am a Jacksonite.)

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. The Premiere boots should be here sometime next week. If they seem far too stiff, we are sending them back and going for the Freestyle boot.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 07:55:33 PM »
What about the Competitor? The newer models are stiffer than the old ones and might be a good boot for her? the Premiers are very very stiff.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 11:45:31 PM »
Really??? Yes, I would like that site link. That is a good price. I get so stressed whenever I have to buy her boots. We are getting the Premiere boots for just under 300 through the rink. They will send them back if they don't work for us though.
http://www.32auctions.com/organizations/1096/auctions/1280/auction_items/20717
I was wrong, it ends tonight. Someone is getting a good deal!

Offline isakswings

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »
What about the Competitor? The newer models are stiffer than the old ones and might be a good boot for her? the Premiers are very very stiff.

As far as I know, Jackson does not sell the Competitor any more. I can't find any new online either. We may end up sending the Premieres back Jackson if they are too stiff. I do not want to over boot her. Jackson suggested these boots and after the way she broke in her Gold Stars, I am afraid she'd do the same to Freestyle boots. Hmmmm

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »
As far as I know, Jackson does not sell the Competitor any more. I can't find any new online either. We may end up sending the Premieres back Jackson if they are too stiff. I do not want to over boot her. Jackson suggested these boots and after the way she broke in her Gold Stars, I am afraid she'd do the same to Freestyle boots. Hmmmm

There's some at skaterslanding
http://www.skaterslanding.com/jackson-competitor-boot-only.html
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 10:12:37 PM »

I think Jackson now sells the Competitor as a default skate+blade package, with the Aspire blade (see link from AgnesNitt).  When I ordered my new boots mid-2010, I was coming out of Competitors and had a look at the current Competitors.  To my mind, they're quite a bit softer than my old Competitors were (and no question but that the pair I saw weren't as well finished).  It seems that the current equivalent to my old Competitors is the Premiere.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 10:37:01 PM »
There's some at skaterslanding
http://www.skaterslanding.com/jackson-competitor-boot-only.html

Thanks.:) I will keep these in mind just in case we want a pair. I suppose we could always change the blade out. She uses a professional blade and we were planning to keep her in the same blade.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 10:38:56 PM »
I think Jackson now sells the Competitor as a default skate+blade package, with the Aspire blade (see link from AgnesNitt).  When I ordered my new boots mid-2010, I was coming out of Competitors and had a look at the current Competitors.  To my mind, they're quite a bit softer than my old Competitors were (and no question but that the pair I saw weren't as well finished).  It seems that the current equivalent to my old Competitors is the Premiere.

Thank you. I am anxious to see what these boots look like in person. :)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 11:29:28 PM »
It is time once again to get new boots. I've had dd measured, but now we are trying to decide on boots. Jackson suggested the Premiere boot. She is pre-preliminary skating about 4 days a week for about 7-9 hours a week. She is landing axels and just starting to get a double sal. She will be working on doubles this spring and summer. She is learning a flying camel too. Unfortunately, we do not have access to a pro-shop. We have a fitter available to us, but we cannot go to a store and try on different models. So, I decided I would come here and see if anyone has worn these before. My daughter had a pair of Freestyle skates she liked before.

Thanks!

We are going with the Freestyle boots with the Professional blade. I looked att dd's old Freestyle boots today and they are not broken down at all. They bearly have a crease in them! The little girl in them now has about outgrown them and the boots are still in usable condition. Dd tried the Primiere boots on today... it was evident to me that putting her in them would be a mistake. SO... I am sending them back and ordering the Freestyle boots. :) I think we will all be happier. Now if only her current blade fit on her new boots. *sigh*

Offline skatingsisters

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Violet and Charlotte
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 03:22:11 AM »
How are the Freestyle boots and professional blade going?
& what site did you buy them off?
Im at a slightly lower level also looking at a range of skates

Offline isakswings

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »
Hi there. She hasn't skated in them yet, since we are waiting on them to arrive. She currently uses a Professional blade and she likes it, so we keeping it for now. There are a couple of girls in her club who use the Freestyle boot with the pro blade and they seem to like the combo. one is doing double jumps up to a double loop(well landing it in the belt) and the other is working on axels. My daughter's coach and our fitter regularly put skaters in the Freestyle boot. We ordered this this boot and the blade, through our rinks pro shop. I ordered the boot w/o the blade and the rink will mount them for dd. If you want to order this combo, you will need to order the boot and blade seperately. FWIW, the blade that Jackson sells this boot with as a boot and blade combo, is a pretty decent blade. Dd used that blade the last time she wore freestyle boots. I just decided I would keep her in Pro blades since she has been skating on them for the last 8-9 months. if this boot and blade combo serves her well, we will keep this same combo the next time she needs new skates.

I hope this helps!

Offline skatingsisters

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Violet and Charlotte
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 03:28:27 PM »
I currently have Wifa's and was looking at the Skatec but doesnt seem like many people buy them and most people at the rink have the Freestyles so I think I will get them.
I was looking at the Protege blade though, know anyone who has/does use it?

It was helpful :)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 03:43:19 PM »
The Freestyle boots are great. There are skaters on this forum who coach and they reccomend that boot a lot too(from what I recall). We went with the Premiere originally because that is what Jackson suggested for my daughter AND because I was afraid because she previously broke down very stiff boots, she would break down the freestyle boot. However, after we saw the Premieres in person, they are definately too much boot for my daughter.

I don't know anything about the blades you are looking at. I have limited experience with blades. My daughter has used a MK 21 blade(3 yrs ago I think?), a Ultima Mirage blade and Ultima Mark IV and now the Mk Professional blade. She also used a Sapphire blade that came with her very first Riedell boots. At the time, she was in the lower level basic skills and later moved up to the MK 21. I use a Wilson Excel, but I am very much a beginner so this blade works well for me. Good luck deciding!