You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ipad/ipod touch/iphone apps for skating  (Read 30029 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: ipad/ipod touch/iphone apps for skating
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 08:53:11 AM »
Saw this app this morning:

http://www.thehockeyseason.com/sharpsk8s/

It has a bunch of features to track on-ice time and calculate when you need to get a sharpening done.
Supposedly, it helps you track your sharpening punch cards so they don't go to waste. 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 12:24:11 PM »
Sorry if this has already been posted:

Skaterbase is an Android app for logging skate sharpening, practice sessions and other activities like lessons. 

http://digitalapplicationdesign.com/cms/view-content/6/Skaterbase.html

Didn't see an a version for the Apple market, sorry.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 10:46:38 AM »
Not exactly skating related, but I sometimes use TubeMate on Android to download skating vids to my phone for reference. Hmmm maybe it's a good idea to convert some instructional skating video from DVD to MP4/FLV and save a copy on the phone too?

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »
Skaterbase is an Android app for logging skate sharpening, practice sessions and other activities like lessons. 

Very interesting! If they had this for iOS, I'd be downloading it right now!

I had thought about creating something similar at one point, to track ice time and see what my patterns of practice hours looked like over time, but I never thought about tying it to sharpenings. Very nice indeed.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 02:12:43 PM »
Very interesting! If they had this for iOS, I'd be downloading it right now!

I had thought about creating something similar at one point, to track ice time and see what my patterns of practice hours looked like over time, but I never thought about tying it to sharpenings. Very nice indeed.

It's a more comprehensive app than I thought, attempting to record ice time / lesson costs and progress. TBH I'd rather NOT know how much I spend on skating :/

I used to track the exact on ice time but it was too much hassle, now I just go by number of days with "Days since" app on Android. (along with many other things I track with the handy app)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 10:26:26 AM »
The incredible "Mr Edge" has an Android app available that sounds great; if only I had an Android device or it ran on iOS.

The Ask Mr. Edge app includes features such as a skate sharpening reminder, daily planner which includes a calendar to keep track of your schedule, a directory you can add all your friends, team mates, and coaches to so you can easily keep in contact with one another. Submit your photos and share them with your friends, and more!

SKATING COACHES: The Ask Mr. Edge Mobile app also includes an easy to use student billing system which every Skating Coach can benefit and profit from. Track lesson times and other expenses including off ice training, travel expenses and more. The Ask Mr. Edge Mobile app allows coaches direct e-mail billing to each student, instantly using your mobile device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.barebonesdev.askmredge&feature=search_result

They're offering a trial version for free.  The full version is 99¢.  If you buy it, I'd love to read a review.

Offline Steve Monks

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »
For anyone interested in Skaterbase, it's now available for the iPhone too.

Sorry if this has already been posted:

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 05:39:34 PM »
I bought it but its definitely for the skater, not a coach.  Be careful when you set up new "sessions" because the name can't be edited once its saved.  Oh and be sure to save before leaving the Setup screen.  If you navigate off the screen, all entries are lost.

Offline Steve Monks

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 04:15:48 PM »
You can edit a "Session Type" on the iOS version as follows;

On the screen showing a list of Session Types, press hold the entry you want to edit for a couple of seconds and it will take you to the "Edit Type" screen where you can make any changes you need. The same goes for "Activity Types" too.

I bought it but its definitely for the skater, not a coach.  Be careful when you set up new "sessions" because the name can't be edited once its saved.  Oh and be sure to save before leaving the Setup screen.  If you navigate off the screen, all entries are lost.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 06:44:43 PM »
Randy Gardner has an app coming out soon:

http://therink.pro/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »
Skaterbase has been upgraded to include new features.

The latest version of Skaterbase has just hit the App Store adding some nifty new features, including;

* Metronome presets for over thirty popular ice dances.

* Element Timing Utility - time your elements as you perform your routine. Send the completed element list via email using the integrated Element and Timing List exporter.

* Beats Per Minute Calculator - tap along to the beat of a piece of music to determine its tempo.

* The IJS calculator now supports combination lift score calculations in couples free dance programs as well as highlight distribution in pairs free.

Download it now!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skaterbase/id569830704?mt=8

-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Steve Monks

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2013, 11:44:49 AM »
Thanks for posting that. Since the earlier posts, Skaterbase for iPhone/iPod touch has had two significant updates and now also includes a program designer with an integrated IJS score calculator. The designer allows you to add elements and steps then plot out the pattern on a representation of the rink.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2013, 01:06:40 PM »
Thanks for posting that. Since the earlier posts, Skaterbase for iPhone/iPod touch has had two significant updates and now also includes a program designer with an integrated IJS score calculator. The designer allows you to add elements and steps then plot out the pattern on a representation of the rink.

I played around with this feature a little bit. I couldn't find a waltz jump anywhere in the list of jumps. Maybe it was in footwork? I also didn't find a pivot, but I didn't look very hard. Maybe that's because they're not elements that have any value in IJS? Just a little bit of minor feedback. Unimportant, but the sound the app makes when you add an element to a program totally freaked out the dog!  88)

Offline Steve Monks

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2013, 03:35:41 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, it's always useful to hear what people think of the app.

You're spot on about the Waltz Jump, the built in elements are indeed just those with IJS scores. The built in steps should cover everything found in most of the well known pattern dances, but with over 400 steps and elements built in it's easy to miss a few. However, if any steps or elements you require are missing or you want steps in your own terms rather than the ISU codes you can add them yourself.

To do this, open a program, select the "Add Steps" view, pick the category you want to add to, then press "pencil" icon near the top right of the display, this takes you to the "Customise Steps" view. From here you can add whatever you need.

Apologies for upsetting your dog.

Offline DrillingSkills

• Dreaming of Diamond Dances
  • Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »
One app I've found rather useful on my iPad is called Ubersense, and it's free. It allows you to film yourself and then group videos by element and person (skater or coach, for example), and watch the videos in regular speed, slow-motion, or even scroll through the video at your own pace (forward or backward, to find the motion of interest, for example a free leg coming through). You can also record your coach's comments over the video, draw on a frame, or show 2 videos simultaneously, either side-by-side or overlapped. You can set different start points for the videos to make sure the elements are synchronized, too. Overall, a great app, and it's free so no complaints! You need to register for some features but that's also free and they send very few emails.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2013, 04:03:28 PM »
Dartgish express.

They have a free companion desktop app that is very useful as well.

Coach's eye is also quite good.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2013, 04:14:31 PM »
One app I've found rather useful on my iPad is called Ubersense, and it's free.

I saw Ubersense and Dartfish when I was trolling for apps last week.  I don't think Ubersense has the online viewing portal; most of the comments talk about emailing videos to students.  They do offer a lot of features for free, though.  For instant review, it's perfect.

The Dartfish app is interesting - 99¢ currently, which is a great price, undercutting similar products.  They made a boatload of money with their very-expensive video/PC setup so they're a little late to the game.  They offer an online sharing portal (like Coaches' Eye,) so if you were already a Dartfish user, that would be attractive.

I don't really record/watch myself skate, I use it for teaching others, so ymmv.  It's certainly more convenient to have instant review on my ipad rinkside than use a computer later on.  Much easier than using a video camera, with far more features.  I like not having to transfer things to the computer.

I decided that the two apps didn't offer anything different from Coaches' Eye, which I use all the time on my ipod and ipad. 

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2013, 05:46:22 PM »
The reason I prefer Dartfish Express on iOS is because of their Dartfish Player app for Windows PC/Laptop:  http://www.dartfish.tv/DartfishPlayer.aspx

It allows you to download all of your videos from their portal and play them back on your desktop, frame by frame, slow motion, etc.  For someone who doesn't want to deal with more complicated Video Analysis software like Kinovea, it doesn't really get much better than that for ease of use and having what you need to do most of what you'd need to get done on an elementary level.

For more serious Analysis a Windows Laptop + Kinova is better.  You can simply use 720p to record the video and put it on the PC (use a device that can sync over WiFi and it's perfect and seamless) and then analyze it in Kinovea.

Coach's Eye is good, but they're actally a bit slow in adding features (and fixing bugs).  Dartfish Express was late, but on iOS they have already eclipsed Coach's Eye for usefulness; like being able to set the App to record in High Def, full screen analysis, etc.

I've never tried UberSense, but free is hard to beat.

I don't use any of those apps anymore, because I started using desktop software and the kinds of stuff you can do with the video is kind of amazing - to an extent that the smartphone apps don't seem very useful anymore.  What I do is record all the raw footage and then just deal with it when I get home - then I go to work on it.

I was thinking about doing a quick tutorial on some of this for people who are interested.  I may post that soon.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2013, 06:07:52 PM »
I don't use any of those apps anymore, because I started using desktop software and the kinds of stuff you can do with the video is kind of amazing - to an extent that the smartphone apps don't seem very useful anymore.  What I do is record all the raw footage and then just deal with it when I get home - then I go to work on it.

I was thinking about doing a quick tutorial on some of this for people who are interested.  I may post that soon.

I'd be interested in this. I use video a lot, but in a very simple way and it'd be great to get an introduction to what else I can do with it.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2013, 06:11:27 PM »
I'd be interested in this. I use video a lot, but in a very simple way and it'd be great to get an introduction to what else I can do with it.

+1

what coaches can do on the rink side is invaluable. for skater's own analysis desktop solution sounds great.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2013, 10:45:25 AM »
+1

what coaches can do on the rink side is invaluable. for skater's own analysis desktop solution sounds great.
I'll work on something and have it ready after I go to the rink again and get some HD video recorded.

Offline HannahLouise

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »
Need to know exactly what every one is looking for in an app!

Currently in the process of developing apps and would love to create a couple of apps for skating.

I've got a skating game coming out just before the Winter Olympics next year so if there's a skating specific app (not a game) that you think should be on the market, let me know!

Of course it will be free, but there will be a few ads (very discrete as I don't believe in making your viewing experience boring) or for £0.69 remove all ads and unlock bonus content.

(Sorry if this process takes until after or around easter as I'm almost 16 so still at school!)

Thank you in advance and, happy skating!  :angel:

Offline 1cesk8er

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »
My coach uses ubersense, for ipod and ipad. It is really cool! Wish I could get it on Android.
Tests Passed:Pre-Preliminary MIF, Pre-Preliminary Freeskate, Preliminary MIF, Preliminary Freeskate,Pre-Juvenile MIF

Currently Working on:Juvenile MIF, Pre-Juvenile Freeskate

Competing at Adult Silver level

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 03:41:09 PM »
So...RinkTank produced the USFSA's Sk8Coach app series for their Basic Skills program.  RinkTank is launching a new series of "elite" skating apps.  There are apps for jumps with Michael Weiss and Ice Dance with Lang & Tchernyshev planned.  There's another app with 100 skating skills; the demo shows some high-level footwork.

http://www.rink-tank.com/Rink_Tank_Interactive/Trailers.html

Watch the "jumps" trailer on the link above, then check out the behind-the-scenes video of Michael Weiss doing a backflip over the videographer lying on the ice:

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RinkTankInteractive?feature=watch

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2015, 11:32:46 AM »
Reviving this thread… for anyone interested, Rink Tank Interactive has just updated the Adult 1-6 app (now covering 1-6 instead of the old 1-4 levels).  The Basic Skills 1-8 app and some of the others have already been updated with improved descriptions, etc. 

(I really want to update the Adult app but it looks like I'll need to do a system update first so it'll have to wait until tonight…)