You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Back-loading IJS Programs  (Read 4404 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Back-loading IJS Programs
« on: February 23, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »
What would happen if they kept the current IJS 10% bonus for jumps in the second half of the program, but limited the count to a single jump element?  (Standalone or combination/sequence)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Re: Back-loading IJS Programs
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 01:35:53 PM »
I think we will see something like this to encourage a balanced program.  It'll probably be something like a max of 3 jumps can earn the bonus.  1 would encourage front loading which is exactly what they were trying to combat when they introduced the rule.

I'm pretty sure someone at the ISU is kicking themselves because I'm pretty sure backloading was NOT what they had in mind when they introduced this rule.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 07:56:33 PM »
They should make the bonus increase linearly as you go through the program.  I used to think it would be hard to figure out when the jump occurred, but recently they started showing the technical panel's calls on live TV.  The calls show up in a couple of seconds.  That should be accurate enough.  The slope could be adjusted until the best strategy is to spread your jumps out.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 09:03:39 AM »
They should make the bonus increase linearly as you go through the program.  I used to think it would be hard to figure out when the jump occurred, but recently they started showing the technical panel's calls on live TV.  The calls show up in a couple of seconds.  That should be accurate enough.  The slope could be adjusted until the best strategy is to spread your jumps out.
<<Emphasis added>>  By this I assume you mean the bonus is not a constant 10% for the last half of the program, but increases as a function of time.  I don't see how this would encourage skaters to spread their jumps out:  on the contrary, they would backload their jumps even further into the program.  Imagine what programs coaches and choreographers would cook up if you were to have the following bonus structure (to simplify the example, I've divided the program into 4 quarters, and maintained a constant bonus for each quarter):

1st quarter:  0%
2nd quarter:  5%
3rd quarter:  10%
4th quarter:  20%

It would be interesting to have a program choreographed to the 1812 Overture, with the cannonade during the 4th quarter, and jumps synchronized to the cannonade.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 07:34:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure someone at the ISU is kicking themselves because I'm pretty sure backloading was NOT what they had in mind when they introduced this rule.

On IJS score sheets, the symbol for the 10% bonus is explained as a credit for highlight distribution, which definitely sounds like it was not intended to encourage backloading, but that no one thought through the opposite situation of what they were trying to discourage.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 03:19:40 PM »
The 10% bonus for jumps in the second half of the program has been in place for quite awhile now, but Zagitova is the first skater to draw attention for back-loading her programs.  There's a reason more skaters haven't done this:  IT'S REALLY HARD!  I don't think one skater back-loading her programs calls for a rule change, especially since the judges already have the opportunity to punish any perceived flaws in choreography and musical interpretation in the skater's PCS (and Zagitova did get lower PCS than Medvedeva).  I personally didn't mind the back-loading because the music edits she used built in drama in the second half, matching the increased energy and drama on ice with the jumps.  I much prefer that to the thousands of programs I've watched where the music starts soft and delicate, but the first element performed is a triple lutz-triple toe or triple axel (or for men, a quad combo).