You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

Which do you enjoy to work on?

I enjoy ice dance more
10 (38.5%)
I enjoy moves in the field more
11 (42.3%)
I enjoy both equally
4 (15.4%)
Neither, I just force myself to work on them
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Ice dance vs. moves in the field: which do you enjoy more?  (Read 4798 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Ice dance vs. moves in the field: which do you enjoy more?
« on: June 21, 2012, 01:13:59 AM »
Dance and moves have lots in common yet are different disciplines (right?)
If you work on both, which do you enjoy more and why?

Offline Landing~Lutzes

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
Re: Ice dance vs. moves in the field: which do you enjoy more?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 06:29:37 PM »
As a solo dancer I naturally like dancing more than moves (but I do enjoy moves.) I like the expression that goes along with the dancing and I think the patterns are more fun and interesting than moves (though perhaps those watching either will beg differ that both of them are boring to watch haha) :-)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 08:26:51 PM »
I like moves better because they introduce interesting steps more rapidly.

Someone should invent some easy dances with more interesting steps.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 08:31:10 PM »
There used to be 'circle dances' where you danced in a pattern that was a big circle. That meant that no matter where you were on the ice, you could start the dance.
I've often thought that it would be a good idea to introduce simple circle dances in learn to skate .. often enough you're skating in a circle anyway..why not just add music.

For example a circle dance for Basic 1 could be to a march.
March, march, march, swizzle march march touch your toes...or something.

As the levels get  more stuff, the dances could change. A simplified dutch waltz in a circle could be fun.

Anyway, just an idea I had.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »
I like moves in the field, but I definitely find dance more fulfilling. It's like work (nothing wrong with that) vs. hobby lol. You could always count on speed and flow in dance, while moves may involve more figure like elements.

The problem with dance is of course finding partner with the same skills and goals, then managing to skate together. As I was told many times that higher level dances don't quite make sense if skated solo. Hopefully things will change with further developments of solo dancing!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:44:41 PM »
I think they both have their good and bad points - I like moves more I think because it's easier to work on pieces of some of them in isolation if you can't use the whole rink.  That said I only know my preliminary dances and two of the pre-bronze, and I'm not actively working towards testing any of them, so maybe my viewpoint would change if I made them more of a focus.  I've considered it, but right now it's more of a time issue - I really shouldn't until I get through the tests I've been postponing for a year now.

I do know that I often prefer working on moves more than traditional freestyle elements... mostly because even if I am really tired I feel I can safely push myself a little more with moves than spinning or jumping.  Today I did the backward double 3 pattern over and over and over while my daughter skated, and I was doing it on very choppy ice, which not only made them harder to skate with enough speed, but it also boosted my confidence that I can control my turns on 'any' kind of ice.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 03:17:32 AM »
I think moves are more interesting earlier on than dance. The forward dances (and the swing dance) are pretty dull. However, once you get into the harder dances, dance becomes more interesting than moves. It's just a shame you've got to do all the dull work before getting to the interesting dances.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 01:36:28 AM »
Wow dance and moves head to head so far in the poll.
Not sure what I expected!

Offline Landing~Lutzes

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 03:53:38 AM »
Am I crazy for thinking some of the early dances are fun? LOL I love the canasta tango, the fiesta tango, and the cha cha! I think they are fun...but now that I see that most people think that they are boring, I'm uninvoting all my friends to my first solo dance competition haha!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 11:59:01 AM »
Of the lower dances I LOVE the Canasta Tango and the Cha-Cha - I like the Rhythm Blues as well.

Don't like any of the Bronze dances.  they are kind of clunky.

I also like the Swing Dance because it's an easy waltz hold and you can socialize with your partner while you are skating!

Dance on!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 12:20:29 PM »
I like moves better because they introduce interesting steps more rapidly.

Dance brings out great speed  from different arrangements of simple steps, perfecting those steps in the meanwhile (oh I hope).

It feels good to have those steps executed with speed and style in time to music, especially with an excellent partner above my level.

Dance makes me *feel* graceful. (Ps: if you have seen me practice, please don't burst my bubble yet)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 09:09:20 AM »
Am I crazy for thinking some of the early dances are fun? LOL I love the canasta tango, the fiesta tango, and the cha cha! I think they are fun...but now that I see that most people think that they are boring, I'm uninvoting all my friends to my first solo dance competition haha!

No you are not crazy. Just be careful when inviting laymen... Sitting thru lots of compulsories can be challenging. ;)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »
I used to enjoy moves in the field more, but now I'm stuck on them so they are less fun.  However, I got stuck very early in the dance process, so I never really enjoyed them.

I've done some ballroom dance, and lots of other styles of dance, so I think the reason I don't like ice dance is i'm not good enough to really be able to express dancing the way I am used to.

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 08:27:43 AM »
Moves, because I don't have to worry about timing lol!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »
Yet another skater told me she will not do ice dance because she cannot take the dance music... guess my total disregard of music could be a blessing in disguise.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 07:02:34 PM »
Yet another skater told me she will not do ice dance because she cannot take the dance music... guess my total disregard of music could be a blessing in disguise.

It is!

JMHO but I find that people who hold this notion about the dance music are usually the people who are not interested in working on their basic skating and ultimately find dance too picky.

The music IS terrible but it becomes pretty much a moot point when you are actually trying to learn how to do dance and the durge-y beat can actually help you get through the dances... the music does get better the higher up you go in the dance structure.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »
I enjoy working on my basics but NOT dance.  I have a number of patterns I work on given to me from my coaches BEYOND MIF that I can skate to whatever music I like.   8)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »
I enjoy working on my basics but NOT dance.  I have a number of patterns I work on given to me from my coaches BEYOND MIF that I can skate to whatever music I like.   8)

Of course it was a generalization - and I KNOW you work on Basics... just an observation of the skaters that I meet at my rink who loath the dance music and say that is why they don't do dance...

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 11:51:17 PM »
I enjoy dances and somewhat dislike the music... but I don't mind it when I'm actually working on a dance.  I mind it when I'm working on other things and it feels like it's on repeat (usually VERY loudly) for the entire session 88)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 12:02:44 AM »
Of course it was a generalization - and I KNOW you work on Basics... just an observation of the skaters that I meet at my rink who loath the dance music and say that is why they don't do dance...

Did you write this or was it my post? lol

Offline Landing~Lutzes

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 01:16:47 AM »
I love the cha cha and fiesta tango music...the Dutch Waltz musical sounds like something straight out of a Disney movie haha. I'm very timid about playing the compulsory music when I'm practicing...I try to keep it very very quiet lol. I actually get made fun of a lot because I do dance and the music, sort of discouraging at times.

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 08:21:23 AM »
I enjoy dances and somewhat dislike the music... but I don't mind it when I'm actually working on a dance.  I mind it when I'm working on other things and it feels like it's on repeat (usually VERY loudly) for the entire session 88)

This! If I'm doing the dances, I only notice the music in that I'm trying to get the timing right. If I'm working on other things and other people are playing the music over and over and OVER again it gets very irritating

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 08:33:45 AM »

Anything on repeat is very annoying, regardless of whether it's dance music or not.