You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Competitions for Beginners  (Read 5647 times)

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
Competitions for Beginners
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »
I'm still plugging away in Adult 2, making some progress, but there's a couple of elements my instructor hasn't taught me yet, such as crossovers. (She's waiting until my edges are better, but since I can barely do one-foot moves on my current skates, that's going to be awhile.) Some moves I can do, but not very well. But now she's saying she wants me to sign up for some competition this summer! I don't know the name of it or anything, just that it's in August. I may or may not have my new skates by then, so there's no telling if I'll even be able to participate or not.

My question is, what sort of stuff would someone at my level do in a competition? I mean, I can't do crossovers. I can't do backwards one-foot glides. I can barely manage a two-foot turn on a circle, outside edges on a circle, forward pivots, and forward chasses. I'm working on those, trying to improve, but with my skate-pain problem, it's slow-going. So what can my instructor possibly have in mind for me to do in a competition?

Anyone know if it would it be a program set to music? Or just a demonstration of my skills? I've seen some "skills demonstrations" by little kids, where all they do is skate out, do some swizzles, a snowplow stop, and a backwards wiggle, then take a bow. Is that the kind of thing we're talking about here? Is it normal for adults to do that sort of thing, too?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Competitions for Beginners
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »
If you are in Adult 2, you would compete at Adult 1.  A basic skill competition requires you do the elements from that level.

Or, you could compete no test.  In this case, you would likely want to include some gliding manuevers, with nice arms. You would want to include the pivots for sure.  Maybe you could learn a bunny hop or a two foot spin?  Be prepared that if you don't enter a "basic skills" competition that there will be some good skaters who have just not tested yet.

Not many adults compete this early, but I have seen a few compete before they do rotational jumps- they all have bunny hops and two foot spins though, and footwork including 3-turns.  If you competed at Adult 2, your program would look very similar to children you described, which is why most adults don't do that.  It isn't quite as cute as the kids...

A good place to start might be an artistic competition, where you can portray a character, and not worry about "freeskate" skills.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »
If you competed at Adult 2, your program would look very similar to children you described, which is why most adults don't do that.  It isn't quite as cute as the kids...

BUT, there's no reason that you couldn't, especially if it would bolster your confidence.  I never competed until I was in FS4 (ISI) and I was a bundle of nerves at that point.. I wish I'd competed in earlier levels.

There's also no telling where you will be skill-wise by the time the next competition comes around.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »
Yeah, I really don't want to showcase my swizzles. I mean, they're good and all, but . . . LOL! I'll probably wait until I'm a bit more advanced and can do more than just demonstrate my basic skills. I'd rather do something artistic, anyway. That sounds fun.  :)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 08:17:34 PM »
I've seen a couple of adults do comps who couldn't jump. It takes a lot of guts to go out there when you're at a lower skill level than almost anyone else, but in the comps I went to, people really respected it. Even though they didn't place well because they were up against adults who could do higher-level things, they got more cheers than anyone else.

Plus, when you compete again, your progress will be obvious and people will notice. And you'll get to know adult skaters from other rinks.

What about lunges, once you get into some skates that work for you? If you can go down into that position off the ice, you'll probably find them surprisingly easy.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 10:17:55 PM »
I don't know if I can do lunges or not. I'm not very flexible and I have arthritis in my knees. I've been trying to work on a routine of stretching and exercises off-ice to build my strength and flexibility, but it's slow progress.

Maybe I'll work on a routine just for the heck of it, to learn how it's done, and all that, but since I won't get my new skates until summer, I won't have a lot of time to practice or prepare for an August competition. Maybe I'll go and watch it, to see how it's done and what kinds of things are being performed.

Don't they pit like against like, though? I mean, would I be expected to compete against higher-level adults? I always assumed it was Adult 1 against Adult 1, Adult 2 against Adult 2, and so forth. If Adult 1 level students have to compete against Adult 4 level students, they haven't got much of a chance at all, do they? Seems rather unfair.  ???

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:01:55 AM »
It depends on the competition and the event.  In USFS Basic Skills competitions, there are two sets of events:  Elements and Program.  In Elements, you perform the listed skills - and only the listed skills! - either one at a time as directed by the official or in a mini-program format without music. The announcement will tell you exactly which elements you do and how.  The Program portion requires the same skills as in Elements but you can do them in any order and with music.  But you can only use the skills from your level and below.  Elements from higher tests get deductions.

These competitions cover the Basic 8 badge levels and the Free Skating 1 - 6.  If the competition is "Basic and Beyond", then it can include Beginner, PrePreliminary and Preliminary events as well.

I can't say I've seen a lot of Adults competitng in Basic Skills competitions but I've never seen them combine levels anywhere.  It's against the rules and philosophy of Basic Skills competitions.  The only thing they can do is allow males and females to compete in the same groups, which isn't allowed at higher levels in free skating.

Now once you get past Basic Skills and into "regular" competitions, levels can be compbined in some events, but I doubt very much that tha's what your coach is talking about.  Check out the announcement and see what's involved before you decide one way or another.  It could be fun and something to work towards.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »
Our rink is USFS, so I assume the competition is, as well.

Now, when you say it covers Basic 1-8, how does that work, considering I'm not in Basic, but Adult? I know there's some crossover between the levels, but there's also some elements taught in Basic that aren't taught in Adult. Not sure if the reverse is true or not. Would I need to learn all the Basic skills, in addition to the Adult skills? If there are elements taught in Adult that aren't in Basic, would I have to leave them out?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 09:07:37 AM »
It'll probably be a Basic Skills competition.  If you are in the Adult groups, you'd compete at the highest level that you've passed.  So, if you're currently working on the skills in Adult 3, you'd compete at Adult 2.  The competition announcement specifies the required skills. 

The USFSA Basic Skills competition manual has the typical elements for each event.
http://www.usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=335

You'd have to be evaluated to see which Basic level you've mastered and you're right: the elements are different so there are gaps and mismatches.  Your best bet would be to either switch now to the Basic levels or have a few private lessons to determine the appropriate Basic level.

As blue111moon said earlier, I've never seen an adult compete in the Basic 1-8 or Freeskate levels.  I think it would be great and there's no rule against it, but adults usually sign up for Adult 1-4 if they don't have strong freestyle skills or Pre-Bronze if they can do some jumps and spins.

Contrast that with the ISI, where there is no "adult" track.  They have Alpha-Delta and Freestyle 1-10 and everyone skates the same elements.  They divide the categories into age groups like swimming meets.  Works fine and everyone has fun. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 10:11:13 AM »
I'm in private lessons, so it would be easy to ask my coach to teach me the missing Basic skills. I was thinking of doing that anyway, just so I'm not missing any elementary skills. I'll probably discuss everything with her to find out the details of what it is she wants me to sign up for. But, as I said, it's not going to happen until I get my new skates. There's just no way I can do that much practicing and trying to perform while my feet are in agony. All the same, it's something to think about for later on.  :)

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 10:53:33 PM »
At our rink all ages & levels are encouraged to participate in our skate school competition which is for both rinks in our city. Even if you are a very beginner they have something at your level (or close to it) they are held regularly I think its gone up from 2x year to once a term (4x year), it drive me crazy because competing is not something I'm interested in right now & they try to force everyone to learn the set routine during lesson time...

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 11:47:05 PM »
...it drive me crazy because competing is not something I'm interested in right now & they try to force everyone to learn the set routine during lesson time...

Does not sound fair for group students. Is it productive and done to individual skater's taste?

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:59:28 PM »
Does not sound fair for group students. Is it productive and done to individual skater's taste?

I wish! no its the one big downside, unless every single person in your group chooses not to compete then they will teach everyone the test pattern. The rink publishes test patterns for each level or 2 levels combined and while some of the skills are what you are learning for your level I find that it skips certain things - such as 3 turns - that are a part of your level but get ignored for 5 weeks because they are working on the test pattern, same thing happens in December for the Christmas gala.... then at the end of the term test time rolls around & you haven't learnt a skill or you've barely touched it.

The competition is great (but only) if that's something you want to do, its made accessible for all levels and for the kids it gets them used to the test environment before they get up to the level where it really counts. I'm sure there are adults out there that want to do it as well, just not my thing - especially right now because I'd want to do it right, not by half, & it costs too much time & $ for what I can afford to put into it.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »
I've been to a couple Basic Skills competitions in which they offered Adult 1-4 tracks to compete in.  There was a couple of women and men who competed in the Adult 3 and 4.  I think that as others have mentioned, competing this summer might be a really fun way to not only network with other adult skaters, but its a good way to get out there and compete and deal with nerves :) Coming back to the sport as an adult, my nerves are what usually gets me every time I've competed:( didn't bother me as a kid!! But with that being said, the more I've competed, the less my nerves have gotten in the way!  I think that competing from an early stage in your development as a skater will benefit you in the long run, plus competitions can be really fun!  You could also consider doing both US and ISI in the future:)

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »
I'm still plugging away in Adult 2, making some progress,
 But now she's saying she wants me to sign up for some competition this summer!

My question is, what sort of stuff would someone at my level do in a competition?  

Is that the kind of thing we're talking about here? Is it normal for adults to do that sort of thing, too?

I came back from Adult Nationals early to help judge at the Silver Skates Basic Skills Competition in Kettering, Ohio. As I was looking through my judging assignments, I saw that I was assigned to judge---Guess What ?---Adult Basic Skills. There were two adults competing with one another, a  young woman who might have been in her mid-20's, and an older woman who looked like she was in her late 40's. As they both took to the ice for their warm-up, I noticed that both were wearing for competition---Guess What ?---pretty skating dresses. And both of them went out to the center of the ice one at a time and did---Guess What ?---their compulsory elements from the Adult Basic Skills level that they both were in. So to answer your question, Orianna, Yes, there are adult skaters competing at the Basic Skills level and presenting themselves proudly in competition, just as the kids do. I have seen them and judged them myself.
BTW---Both adult skaters did an excellent job of skating the lower level elements, just like any other competitive skater would.  
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
I definitely wouldn't mind getting a pretty skating dress for a competition. I already have one picked out.  ;D

But yeah, I'll consider doing the basic skills competition, or maybe an artistic competition. Maybe not the one this summer, since I won't have much time to practice on my new skates, if they even arrive before then. But I'll see if we can go as observers, so I can get a feel for what's expected and what it's like, and then maybe I'll participate in the next one. It would be very scary for me, but like some of you said, it's better to go early and get used to it before it gets really serious. Maybe I won't be able to compete in the more advanced competitions, but I would hate to have never done anything at all. So if I can't do the more advanced stuff, maybe I can at least participate in a lower-level competition. And my husband really wants me to do it. He thinks it will push me (in a good way) to improve faster.

Here's a new question: Do you have to wear makeup for the competitions? I mean, how necessary is it? Do the lights wash you out? Or are there any kind of deductions or penalties if you don't wear makeup, are you less likely to impress the judges? I ask because I don't wear makeup. I never wore it very often, just for special occasions, but then I stopped altogether and haven't worn makeup in nearly 10 years. Because I'm a redhead with extremely pale skin (I have a photosensitivity disorder, so I have to stay out of the sunlight) I have to special-order foundation and mascara from a specialty website and it's not cheap, so I'm wondering if it's a necessity for competing.

If it is necessary, can you wear just regular everyday makeup or does it need to be extra vibrant and "showy"? I always tended towards a natural look when I wore makeup (pinks and beiges and skin-tones), but I suspect that for competing, an "evening" look might be better? Something with darker colors, maybe? I can pick up a few colors at the drugstore and experiment, if need be. I'm just wondering if I have to get eyeshadow with glitter in it, or anything extreme like that? I seem to recall seeing figure skaters with bright yellow eyeshadow, swirly shapes around their eyes, feather eyelashes, and stuff like that. I can't go that extreme, but I'd like to know what's expected and what the range of normality is.

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 01:35:02 PM »
Even though they are in a Basic Skills competition, I have seen kids and teens just go absolutely wild with makeup
 ( I wanna look like Lady Gaga/Justin Beiber/The rockstar band 'Kiss' on ice ! ), and have to wonder who decides to do this, the parents ? the coach ? the kids themselves ? the kid's friends on Facebook ? But for an adult Basic Skills competitor, I would say just wear the kind and style of makeup that you are comfortable with when going out for a nice dinner at a fine restaurant. And if you do not wear makeup at all, even when going out in the evening, that is fine, too. As a judge, I am more interested in looking at what your arms, body movement, boots, and blades are doing, rather than what your makeup is doing. I don't think there are any rules stating that you MUST wear makeup, someone correct me if I'm wrong. True, your looks are important when competing, that's why I always say wear a nice skating dress, if at all possible, for competing or testing.  But your skating skills are more so what ends up being really important, not if a skater has makeup on, or not. That is where most of your attention should be, IMO.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »
I definitely won't be going wild. If anything, I'll probably stick with my old method of natural colors and subtle shading. Maybe a touch of shimmer, at best.

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 10:10:13 PM »
I would think that lipstick and a bit of blush on your cheeks would be the best things for helping not look washed out (bland) on the ice.  I don't think that it makes much sense to go to a lot of trouble and/or expense to get foundation - in regular life, foundation is mainly for making your skin have a nice even color - the lights on a rink tend to do that anyway.  Some attractive eye shadow is nice, but not at all required.

The judged in a competition is your SKATING - your appearance does have an affect on the judges, but it's small, and make up is only a small part of your appearance.  Your goal is to make yourself look "nice", "pleasant" and "attractive" on the ice.  I think you meet those standards without any make up at all.  (But I still think some lipstick and blush would be better than nothing.)  Going overboard with wild make up would be distracting for the judges and counter productive.

But, most importantly, don't fret over makeup too much - your SKATING is by far the most important factor.   :)

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 07:29:35 AM »
Unfortunately, I'm too OCD to be able to only wear some makeup and not the whole deal. For me, things have to be even, so I couldn't just wear lipstick and blush, for instance. I would have to wear foundation (or at least powder), along with eyeshadow, mascara, blush, and lipstick, otherwise I would feel like something was wrong with my face. Still, it's good to know that it's not an absolute necessity. I think I'll go ahead and buy foundation and mascara from the redhead's makeup website, once I start competing, and just pick up some cheap eyeshadow, blush, and lipstick at the drugstore. That will save me some money, at least. Maybe I can look up theatrical makeup, so I can learn how to best apply it to avoid looking washed out under the lights. There must be some trick to it.

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 07:41:26 AM »
With theatrical make-up, it's standard procedure to put on foundation that is noticeably darker than your natural skin tone.  (At least, this is what we did in my high school's plays and musicals.)  You put the foundation on ALL of your exposed skin - neck, ears, hands, chest if wearing a low cut dress, etc.  (When I had my hair up to play a boy for the musical Oliver, I remember it being an annoying amount of work afterwards to get all of the foundation off of the ear area, along my hair line, and the back of the neck.)  I don't think you need or want to go this route for skating.

You've mentioned going to an upcoming Basic Skills competition as a spectator - I think checking out what folks do there will be quite informative.  You can decide what you think looks nice, in many aspects (outfits, makeup, etc.) and then know what you want when you're ready to start competing.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »
One thing I have noticed is that eyebrows "make" the face from a distance, especially on ice, where the colour can be leached out.  If your eyebrows are fair, maybe consider using eyebrow pencil or matt brown shadow on them for definition.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 04:54:57 PM »
I have kind of reddish-brown eyebrows, not sure if they'd need darkening or not, but that's easy enough to do. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

I definitely wouldn't do dark foundation all over my face and neck. That's too extreme. I would buy foundation I could use any day, i.e.: the same color as my skin.