You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Calling all Parents: Check out proposed changes to Jr Nationals  (Read 3458 times)

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
If your child skates below Novice the USFS proposal to restructure Jr. Nationals will interest you:

https://fs12.formsite.com/USFSAIT/USJuniorChampionships/index.html

In a nutshell: the new structure would have Intermediate and below skaters qualify for Sectionals from Regionals, instead of going directly to Jr. Nats. The top placers would then advance to a Jr Nationals held in conjunction with Nationals in January, eliminating the mid-December event.

The idea is to cut down on the number of skaters who travel and spend $$ to go to Junior Nationals only to not qualify for the final rounds. Holding Jrs alongside "big" Nationals would mean skaters would not have to miss school during December and help families who find travel the week before Christmas a hardship.

Further, by forcing the lower level skaters to go through the process of qualifying for Sectionals and then Nationals, skaters will be better prepared for big jump to Novice levels.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
Re: Calling all Parents: Check out proposed changes to Jr Nationals
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:32:04 AM »
If your child skates below Novice the USFS proposal to restructure Jr. Nationals will interest you:

https://fs12.formsite.com/USFSAIT/USJuniorChampionships/index.html

In a nutshell: the new structure would have Intermediate and below skaters qualify for Sectionals from Regionals, instead of going directly to Jr. Nats. The top placers would then advance to a Jr Nationals held in conjunction with Nationals in January, eliminating the mid-December event.

The idea is to cut down on the number of skaters who travel and spend $$ to go to Junior Nationals only to not qualify for the final rounds. Holding Jrs alongside "big" Nationals would mean skaters would not have to miss school during December and help families who find travel the week before Christmas a hardship.

Further, by forcing the lower level skaters to go through the process of qualifying for Sectionals and then Nationals, skaters will be better prepared for big jump to Novice levels.

Is there some disadvantage to missing school during December rather than January?

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:46:18 AM »
According to the USFS report, parents complain that mid-December is too close to final exams, final projects and etc.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 12:03:08 PM »
I agree with that for schools on a traditional school year calendar.  It's hard to make up work late in the semester/term.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »
According to the USFS report, parents complain that mid-December is too close to final exams, final projects and etc.

Interesting, as I recall, my older dd has had mid terms/finals January.   I do think travelling for fewer days and not around the holidays is a good idea.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 04:40:54 PM »
  I heard from someone within USFSA is was really related two only two issues. The most important one was money.If they  drop it to  combined with Nats it will save money.
The second was the loss of skaters who go to Jr nats , dont get out of the first round, and stop skating. Or the skater that thinks the end all be all is Jr Nats.They look at it short term, not long haul.
If they use other reasons, its looks better.
If you have a skater that does well, it will cost more money overall. Regionals to Sectionals to Nats.

Offline twirly~girls~mom

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:58:25 PM »
I personally love this idea and I agree with so many of the reasons they are giving for doing it. My dd was an alternate for JN in Juv last season and honestly, as devastated as she was to just miss making it, and of course we wished she'd have made it, the expense of that week in SLC right before Christmas would have been a serious struggle. Just the location, duration, and time of year was the combined worst-case scenario pricewise. Not to mention that we would have had to pay the coach's full expenses being that my dd was her only student who would have been going.

We could have kept my daughter in Juv another season due to her age, and many people do that to try to make Junior Nationals. We decided not to because it just wasn't worth it to us to hold her back another whole season just to try make that one competition. A lot of people stay back in juv three or more years to try to make it and then again another two or three in Intermediate for the same reason.  We didn't see the point of that, and neither did her coach.

I assume, if it does pass, that it wouldn't go into effect until next season since the venue and dates are already set for this year...does anyone know if that is the case?

By the way, this is my first post here...I came across the forum googling info on Governing Council because we were talking to a judge over the weekend who told us about the JN restructuring. I have read a lot of posts today and it seems like a great forum!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »
Welcome to skatingforums and thank you for contributing!
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 12:34:28 AM »
I personally love this idea and I agree with so many of the reasons they are giving for doing it. My dd was an alternate for JN in Juv last season and honestly, as devastated as she was to just miss making it, and of course we wished she'd have made it, the expense of that week in SLC right before Christmas would have been a serious struggle. Just the location, duration, and time of year was the combined worst-case scenario pricewise. Not to mention that we would have had to pay the coach's full expenses being that my dd was her only By the way, this is my first post here...I came across the forum googling info on Governing Council because we were talking to a judge over the weekend who told us about the JN restructuring. I have read a lot of posts today and it seems like a great forum!
First Welcome!!
I just emailed the person in USFSA that told me and asked IF it passed when would be the effective date.It wouldnt suprise me if it was this year, the way he spoke re finances.
If your DD did well and placed at her regionals, she would have to attend her sectionals, and then attend Jr Nats/Nats.Bigger expense for parents unless your coach has a few skaters.
If I hear from him will post it!

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 09:17:37 AM »
First Welcome!!
I just emailed the person in USFSA that told me and asked IF it passed when would be the effective date.It wouldnt suprise me if it was this year, the way he spoke re finances.
If your DD did well and placed at her regionals, she would have to attend her sectionals, and then attend Jr Nats/Nats.Bigger expense for parents unless your coach has a few skaters.
If I hear from him will post it!

I was wondering when as well..I did like the information in the presentation.  My dd is 10, and maybe will move up next year from Juv to Int-- but it is hard to say still.

Offline twirly~girls~mom

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
According to the link someone provided on the other thread of the Governing Council Agenda, it says that if the change is approved, it will not go into effet until September 1, 2012, so next year.

I do see how it will actually be more expensive for those four who advance from regionals to sectionals and then on to Nationals, but overall, it is more cost effective for the majority of skaters. Aside from the cost, and the poor timing of JN, I think the committee is also spot on in their philosophy of how the "making Junior Nationals" mentality effects and influences young skaters and their parents (and I would guess some coaches as well). That is about the only proposed change at the Intermediate level that I agree with however. The rest of the proposed changes I'm totally against, but that's for another thread!

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 12:46:40 PM »
According to the link someone provided on the other thread of the Governing Council Agenda, it says that if the change is approved, it will not go into effet until September 1, 2012, so next year.

I do see how it will actually be more expensive for those four who advance from regionals to sectionals and then on to Nationals, but overall, it is more cost effective for the majority of skaters. Aside from the cost, and the poor timing of JN, I think the committee is also spot on in their philosophy of how the "making Junior Nationals" mentality effects and influences young skaters and their parents (and I would guess some coaches as well). That is about the only proposed change at the Intermediate level that I agree with however. The rest of the proposed changes I'm totally against, but that's for another thread!

I guess the only thing is it is sort of nice that at least at the lowest two levels, more skaters get the chance to go....it does get more challenging as they move up-- some girls will NEVER get a triple and so will probably never get out of sectionals at novice and above.  You can really look at it both ways I think.

I'd love to see statistics of great successful junior and senior level skaters that never had an incredible amount of success at lower levels.   THAT would be motivating I think for some kids to keep trying.

What other changes are happening at intermediate?