You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: USFSA pre-preliminary = pre-bronze?  (Read 3588 times)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
USFSA pre-preliminary = pre-bronze?
« on: March 28, 2011, 05:24:59 PM »
I'm trying to figure out where I need to start testing.

In the mid-90's I tested pre-pre moves and FS, and I was working on moves up through Juvenile, with the intent to test at least preliminary and pre-juv moves at the next test session, but I was injured before that happened and even though I got back on the ice and got pretty much back to where I had been, I had stopped skating competitively.  (and I have confirmed with USFSA which tests I actually passed, because I couldn't remember which I had tested).

So as it stands now, because I have passed my pre-pre moves and FS, that means I don't need to test adult pre-bronze, right?  The next test I would be working on and taking is Bronze moves, correct?

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
Re: USFSA pre-preliminary = pre-bronze?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 07:01:56 PM »
Nope.  You need to start with Pre-Bronze MIF to do Adult Track.  Pre-Bronze is a mix of Pre-Pre and Prelim. 
My glass is half full :)

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:15:41 PM »
Why do all the equivalency charts you see online show that pre-pre is pre-bronze, and prelim is bronze?  As in, if you tested those in standard track, there's where you can compete in adult?

Even the rulebook says for pre-bronze:
Test qualifications as of the closing date for entries: Passed no higher than the adult
pre-bronze free skate test, or the pre-preliminary free skate test.

I've passed pre-pre freeskate, so this means I can't take the pre-bronze test, right?

It's so confusing :(

Offline sk8tegirl06

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:19:06 PM »
Nope.  You need to start with Pre-Bronze MIF to do Adult Track. 

If you mean in order to compete Adult Track, then no not necessarily. I started testing standard before I was age eligible for adult (~19years old) and have continued to test standard but I've competed on Adult Track since becoming age eligible.

I figured since I'd started the standard I kind of wanted to finish standard, don't the moves switch over to standard track anyway?  I thought after Adult Gold you went back to Intermediate.

With the help of Google, I found this in regards to free skate.

http://www.usfsa.org/Content/Standard%20Track%20Free%20Skate%20to%20Adult%20Free%20Skate%20Chart%20Equivalencies.pdf

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 08:12:21 PM »
I thought after Adult Gold you went back to Intermediate.

That's correct.  After passing Adult Gold MIF, if you want to continue testing, your next one is (Standard Track) Intermediate; but you don't cross over from Standard to Adult in testing.  Instead, you are allowed to compete at various Adult levels based on your Standard Track tests passed.
My glass is half full :)

Offline sk8tegirl06

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »
That's correct.  After passing Adult Gold MIF, if you want to continue testing, your next one is (Standard Track) Intermediate; but you don't cross over from Standard to Adult in testing.  Instead, you are allowed to compete at various Adult levels based on your Standard Track tests passed.

Ah, ok. I thought that might be the case, but wasn't really sure since I decided to stick with standard.

Offline Debbie S

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »
Why do all the equivalency charts you see online show that pre-pre is pre-bronze, and prelim is bronze?  As in, if you tested those in standard track, there's where you can compete in adult?

Those equivalencies are for FS, not MIF. There is a chart showing crossovers from standard to adult MIF tests - it's on p. 7 in the online tests book on the USFSA website. Prelim MIF is the equivalent MIF test to Pre-Bronze - the idea is that if you have previously (on standard track) passed all of the moves on a particular adult MIF test, you don't need to retake the moves on that adult test. B/c Pre-Bronze has a Prelim move on it, you must pass Prelim MIF to be grandfathered out of Pre-Bronze MIF. Then, you could take the Pre-Bronze FS test (the chart showing this is on p. 17).

However, as sk8tegirl06 noted, you can now compete in Adult comps using standard track tests. If you have passed Pre-Prelim FS, then you can compete in Pre-Bronze FS. To move up to Bronze and higher adult levels, you can either continue with standard track and test Prelim MIF and FS (which would qualify you for Bronze) or test Bronze MIF and FS. But since you haven't passed Prelim MIF, it does appear from that chart on p. 7 that you have to take Prelim MIF (or Pre-Bronze MIF) either way, b/c your current MIF (Pre-Prelim) does not exempt you from testing Pre-Bronze MIF or its equivalent. You may want to just test standard track.

Offline sk8tegirl06

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »
In the mid-90's I tested pre-pre moves and FS, and I was working on moves up through Juvenile, with the intent to test at least preliminary and pre-juv moves at the next test session, but I was injured before that happened and even though I got back on the ice and got pretty much back to where I had been, I had stopped skating competitively. 

If you are pretty much back to where you had been, (i.e. preliminary/pre-juv moves are test worthy) it might make more sense to stay standard like Debbie S. said. Since the crossover after Adult Gold puts you at Intermediate anyway, just something to think about.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 02:58:28 PM »
B/c Pre-Bronze has a Prelim move on it, you must pass Prelim MIF to be grandfathered out of Pre-Bronze MIF. Then, you could take the Pre-Bronze FS test (the chart showing this is on p. 17).

OKay, I think that makes more sense... I read through the test book, and while it seems I could compete at pre-bronze if I chose to, in order to test bronze I still need to do pre-bronze MIF and FS.