You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Very pleased with my dd!  (Read 3118 times)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
Very pleased with my dd!
« on: March 27, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »
Watching her grow as a skater and a person is so rewarding sometimes!  She is a MITF hater-- she is 10 and has passed up to Juv MITF and tried the Intermediate last year, but did a terrible job on the brackets and didn't pass.   Then the moves changed.   She hates MITF so much that at least one time, close to a test, her coach actually tossed her off the ice for having a bad attitude.  I was ticked of course at her.   

Anyway.... in December or January, coach showed dd the new MITF patterns.   They worked on them for like one lesson.   But apparently dd has been diligently practicing them EVERY day (never would have happened and didn't on previous tests).   He said she did such a good job on her own, that she is ready to test.   

I am so pleased that she learned from the experience and is begininng to mature into understanding she sometimes has to do things to be a better skater that she doesn't LOVE.   

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
Re: Very pleased with my dd!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 01:04:52 PM »
That's great!! I certainly wasn't that self disciplined at 10 :) Can't wait to see whether she passes :)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 01:10:54 PM »
That's great!! I certainly wasn't that self disciplined at 10 :) Can't wait to see whether she passes :)

I don't think most 10 year olds are-- my older two dds weren't.   It is a leap for her to be self-disciplined with something she doesn't like as much. 

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 01:27:50 PM »
Out of curiosity was that the first time she'd failed a test?
I remember when I was that age, I used to fail the odd music exam. I'd pass the next one as I'd do lots of work to avoid the failure again. I'd then get lazy and fail the one after. My self-discipline didn't last that long at that age.
Hopefully her self-discipline will last longer than mine did!

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 02:08:36 AM »
Good for her! My daughter is working on her pre-juv moves and then moving on to juv. She'll likely take her juv test in November, provided she passes her pre-juv moves test in April. She's been working very hard on them!

Anyway... good for your dd! She should be proud of herself and I hope she passes her tests with flying colors! There is a 10 y/o at my dd's rink who is working on her intermediate moves too. :) FWIW, I don't think many skaters like MITF. I hear a lot of skaters moan and groan about practicing moves. Your daughter is not alone. :)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 10:02:19 AM »
Out of curiosity was that the first time she'd failed a test?
I remember when I was that age, I used to fail the odd music exam. I'd pass the next one as I'd do lots of work to avoid the failure again. I'd then get lazy and fail the one after. My self-discipline didn't last that long at that age.
Hopefully her self-discipline will last longer than mine did!

Yes, it is the first time!  I see her getting more diligent about everything she has to practice...she is starting to see her work paying off in competitions etc. and making the connections.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 11:46:45 AM »
Yes, it is the first time!  I see her getting more diligent about everything she has to practice...she is starting to see her work paying off in competitions etc. and making the connections.

That's good to hear. Hopefully she'll keep that diligence when it comes to other things she has to work at (like school, etc.).

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »
That's good to hear. Hopefully she'll keep that diligence when it comes to other things she has to work at (like school, etc.).

She already has... dh and I were worried about it as she is getting to more challenging grade levels and at the same time spending more time training for skating-- this year she is a straight A student and has bee very very good about time management etc.

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »
Lots of skaters hit a bump in MITF around intermediate/novice level.  Once they get past it, things go a lot more smoothly!  Judges pretty much pass anyone for pre-pre, and preliminary MITF too.  Pre-juv and juvenile are not much more of a step up, but then there's a big gap in skill/maturity for intermediate/novice.  I'm not familiar with the new MITF though, as my daughter got done with MITF over 2 years ago.  But way-back-when, it was a big deal to pass novice moves.  That was a killer test, and the first one that took her two tries.  (Yes, she tested intermediate twice too, but the first time we knew she wasn't going to pass because she hadn't mastered a big part of it.  Her synchro team was demanding she test immediately for a big qualifying competition, but we knew she needed another month's practice.  That next month, she passed with flying colors.)

Anyways, congratulations to your daughter (and you too!) for the positive turn in attitude.  Wishing her tons of success! 

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 08:05:54 AM »
Lots of skaters hit a bump in MITF around intermediate/novice level.  Once they get past it, things go a lot more smoothly!  Judges pretty much pass anyone for pre-pre, and preliminary MITF too.  Pre-juv and juvenile are not much more of a step up, but then there's a big gap in skill/maturity for intermediate/novice.  I'm not familiar with the new MITF though, as my daughter got done with MITF over 2 years ago.  But way-back-when, it was a big deal to pass novice moves.  That was a killer test, and the first one that took her two tries.  (Yes, she tested intermediate twice too, but the first time we knew she wasn't going to pass because she hadn't mastered a big part of it.  Her synchro team was demanding she test immediately for a big qualifying competition, but we knew she needed another month's practice.  That next month, she passed with flying colors.)

Anyways, congratulations to your daughter (and you too!) for the positive turn in attitude.  Wishing her tons of success! 

Yes and in her defense, if they weren't changing the test, her and her coach probably would have worked on it a little more and waited.   She ALMOST passed, and on a good day she would have...but test day actually wasn't a very good one.   But in the end, I didn't really mind that she had to take the new test...she really did learn it much more easily I think mostly because her overall skating skills have improved in the past 6 months.