You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

On average, how often do you retie skates during a practice session?

Nearly never
Once
Twice
Three times
Four times or more

Author Topic: Retying skates in practice  (Read 8909 times)

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
Re: Retying skates in practice
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 08:16:02 PM »
I used to have purple laces but they wore out and I couldn't find any more.  I did find some blue laces and I have been using those for some time.  When I took my APB Moves test (the 3rd and final time, lol) the judge wrote "Love the blue laces!" at the bottom :-).

I had Pink laces that I got at the US Nationals that I loved...hence the user name. I still have them even though they are really worn out and won't hold.

I have to retie all the time. I put skates on.  I stand up and retie.  I skate my warm-up.  Usually I have to retie.  After 15 mins of skating, I have to take skates completely off and retie.  Depending on the session, I may have to retie 1 or 2 more times.  My lace holes are stretching out and it makes them loose.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 09:00:57 PM »
I saw pink laces in our pro shop last week.  It was a synchro thing last year, to draw attention.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 09:36:03 PM »
I don't normally have to retie, but sometimes they are too loose or too tight.  Unfortunately if they are too loose, about 50% of the time the re-tie is too tight.  Grr.

That's usually my problem too.  I'll get them okay across the foot, but too tight at the ankle - so frustrating!  I took a bad spill Sunday night for that reason.  Came out after retie #1, started off just fine with forward stroking, turned to do back crossovers (in my bad direction) and on the first one, no bend. . . SPLAT!  Hip, shoulder and pride all hurting.   :-[

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 01:00:52 AM »
I always need to tighten mine a few minutes after I put them on.  I don't have to skate first though.

I find that all the time, my boots are still relatively new & the laces have always been too short to tie all the way to the top easily. If I lace up my skate & come back after I've one the other boot I'll usually be able to get up over that last hook

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 02:59:40 AM »
I voted for twice a session.  Much less than before,  since I have Proflex, as the lacing only goes so far up the boot, then there is a knob to turn to tighten the upper wires.
For Synchro, I usually do the laces up, tighten upper wires, re-tighten laces & adjust wires. 
For Figure skating, as above, then adjust wires only once during session, after warm-up, unless I'm doing a lot of jumping.  Once I start to jump above salchows, I need to adjust the tightening again.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 04:44:48 PM »
I always seem to  need to re-tie them after about 10 minutes, once I've warmed up a bit and done some edges. Doesn't matter how tight I try to tie them before getting on the ice, they still feel loose once I've worn them for a bit. And even if only one needs tightening, I always do both, because otherwise one feels tighter than the other when I get back on the ice.

Having said that, I don't have time to re-tie before group dance class, because that's at the start of the session, and I seem to manage okay for that, so maybe it is just mental.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 07:34:21 PM »
It depends on how hard I'm skating and how warm it is.  The harder I skate and the warmer it is, the more my boots soften and loosen up, requiring a re-tie (just my landing side).  Even if I haven't done any jumping yet in the session, my landing side boot is the one that starts feeling loose, either because I've broken it down faster from the cumulative jump landings or because I need it to feel more secure if I know I'm about to start jumping.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 07:41:58 PM »
When I absolutely have to retie, it's usually not because skates came loose, more because my foot does not like the angle it's resting at: it feels tilted to the inside, tilted to the outside, or toes not pointing to the center of toe box etc. Especially obvious for the right boot during break-in.