You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Strategies for program competition jitters!  (Read 3923 times)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
Strategies for program competition jitters!
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:11:19 PM »
My 10 year old dd seems to stiffen up for shows/competitions and even to some degree program run throughs in practice-- she skates juvenile FS and intermediate short this year.   This morning for example, she did 12 clean double lutz in a row, and then, in the run through of her program, she underrotated it (only the second one).    Any tips for helping her loosen up a bit in the program and do what she knows she can do??

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
Re: Strategies for program competition jitters!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 07:51:42 PM »
It really helps to take my time. It's when I rush (nerves equal adrenaline which equals rushing) that I start messing up. My coach points out how I'm trying to do things before my foot is even on the ice- like how I nearly fell on a back power three in one of my runthroughs once.

A smile or nod from the coach in the middle of my routine, or while in starting position, can go a long way in calming me.

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:06:11 PM »
Landing jumps in a program is far more different than landing jumps by themselves.  For instance - Rachel Flatt has been trying to land a Triple Lutz/Triple Loop in her program all season.  She can knock them off blindfolded on their own, however in the program, not so much. 

I suggest double and triple run throughs of her program. She'll eventually gain the endurance and stamina and especially the timing needed to fully rotate the jump.  It's a learning process and takes time!  I really don't think it's all about nerves and stiffness - it's more about learning and being comfortable with the program. 

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:08:07 AM »
Landing jumps in a program is far more different than landing jumps by themselves.  For instance - Rachel Flatt has been trying to land a Triple Lutz/Triple Loop in her program all season.  She can knock them off blindfolded on their own, however in the program, not so much. 

I suggest double and triple run throughs of her program. She'll eventually gain the endurance and stamina and especially the timing needed to fully rotate the jump.  It's a learning process and takes time!  I really don't think it's all about nerves and stiffness - it's more about learning and being comfortable with the program. 

True, it probably is a little bit of both...she has started doing multiple run throughs every session WITH the music, something about the music distracts her she says

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:27:51 AM »
True, it probably is a little bit of both...she has started doing multiple run throughs every session WITH the music, something about the music distracts her she says

I find the music makes me rush. Without music I've all the time in the world, with music I can hear time running away. I have to constantly remind myself I've got all the time in the world. Most of the program can be done with the rush going on (makes me push!) but the harder elements, I do need to just take a deep breath and focus solely on the element (and trust that there's more than enough time to do it).

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:42:50 AM »
I find the music makes me rush. Without music I've all the time in the world, with music I can hear time running away. I have to constantly remind myself I've got all the time in the world. Most of the program can be done with the rush going on (makes me push!) but the harder elements, I do need to just take a deep breath and focus solely on the element (and trust that there's more than enough time to do it).

I suspect that is what is happening to her....she has some difficult entries/exits as well....like split jump 3 turn 3 turn double flip-- things like that!  And it could be fatigue a bit as the double lutz, loop, double loop early in the program is fine, but the lone double lutz (4th jump) tends to be more at issue!   We keep trying to explain that there is a difference between maintaining speed and rushing..probably not an easy concept for a 10 year old.

And the good news is that she will keep the same two programs this year (juv and int short)--- last year, she moved so many levels, had test programs etc. that she was constantly adapting!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 09:27:03 AM »
I suspect that is what is happening to her....she has some difficult entries/exits as well....like split jump 3 turn 3 turn double flip-- things like that!  And it could be fatigue a bit as the double lutz, loop, double loop early in the program is fine, but the lone double lutz (4th jump) tends to be more at issue!   We keep trying to explain that there is a difference between maintaining speed and rushing..probably not an easy concept for a 10 year old.

And the good news is that she will keep the same two programs this year (juv and int short)--- last year, she moved so many levels, had test programs etc. that she was constantly adapting!

I think you might need to explain the difference between maintaining speed and rushing to me!
She's not starting to psych herself out if some elements in some places keep having issues? It might be worth starting the program halfway through so that the second half can be done fresh to prove to herself that it's just fatigue.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 10:35:04 AM »
I think you might need to explain the difference between maintaining speed and rushing to me!
She's not starting to psych herself out if some elements in some places keep having issues? It might be worth starting the program halfway through so that the second half can be done fresh to prove to herself that it's just fatigue.

Yes, her coach has been doing that and in deed she was able to fully rotate that double lutz... fortunately competition season is very young!

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 10:42:54 AM »
fsk8r,

Maintaining speed is carrying out the power necessary to execute the elements from entry to exit.  Rushing is the equivalent to "hurry up and finish the element".   Rushing throws off timing which is crucial to executing an element properly.   For instance, if you rush a footwork sequence you may find yourself with nothing but three turns!  However if you focus on maintaining speed, you allow yourself to follow through on each step, thus executing them properly.  As for jumps, the take off is crucial to a good jump and if you rush the take off, the timing goes out the window and the jump goes down the drain.  Same with spins.

Therefore, the big challenge is maintaining speed throughout a program set to music.  The skater needs to really learn the music, be comfortable with the choreography enough to focus on each element without being distracted by the music.  Ultimately, learning to be friends with the music!  It's a great deal harder than it looks because we want the skater to use the music to his or her advantage instead of just skating through the music.  Only the skater is comfortable with the music and the choreography (usually about the same time the skater is bored with the program) will the elements fall into place.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:14:48 AM »
fsk8r,

Maintaining speed is carrying out the power necessary to execute the elements from entry to exit.  Rushing is the equivalent to "hurry up and finish the element".   Rushing throws off timing which is crucial to executing an element properly.   For instance, if you rush a footwork sequence you may find yourself with nothing but three turns!  However if you focus on maintaining speed, you allow yourself to follow through on each step, thus executing them properly.  As for jumps, the take off is crucial to a good jump and if you rush the take off, the timing goes out the window and the jump goes down the drain.  Same with spins.

Therefore, the big challenge is maintaining speed throughout a program set to music.  The skater needs to really learn the music, be comfortable with the choreography enough to focus on each element without being distracted by the music.  Ultimately, learning to be friends with the music!  It's a great deal harder than it looks because we want the skater to use the music to his or her advantage instead of just skating through the music.  Only the skater is comfortable with the music and the choreography (usually about the same time the skater is bored with the program) will the elements fall into place.

Don't worry I rationally understand the difference between rushing and maintaining speed and even pushing (where necessary). It's another thing to maintain the rational adult mind when competition nerves set in. Personally I find all the practice I used to do at school for narrating school plays to be useful in competion scenarios. There's always more time than you think... And nerves always make you move faster.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 11:30:07 AM »
fsk8r,

That makes a lot of sense, and I wonder if that is the reason why sometimes, they have her go through the whole program with the spins and single jumps even though they are all double jumps in reality-- feeling the music and the pace and the entrance...I know her coach was talking to her about the pace of the entering steps for her doubles not being so different than her singles...

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 11:30:57 AM »
Don't worry I rationally understand the difference between rushing and maintaining speed and even pushing (where necessary). It's another thing to maintain the rational adult mind when competition nerves set in. Personally I find all the practice I used to do at school for narrating school plays to be useful in competion scenarios. There's always more time than you think... And nerves always make you move faster.

So then I guess you can empathize with a 10 yo girl trying to stay those nerves!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 12:29:10 PM »
So then I guess you can empathize with a 10 yo girl trying to stay those nerves!

I think nerves either get better or worse with age. If she gets enough practice now, she'll overcome them for life, otherwise they're a constant battle. Depends on how self-conscious she is. Might be worth getting her to sign up for the school play to help overcome the stage fright side of things (wish I'd done those things as a teenager).

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 12:31:03 PM »
I think nerves either get better or worse with age. If she gets enough practice now, she'll overcome them for life, otherwise they're a constant battle. Depends on how self-conscious she is. Might be worth getting her to sign up for the school play to help overcome the stage fright side of things (wish I'd done those things as a teenager).

She doesn't have stage fright so much as she wants to DO well and not make a mistake...so THAT makes her nervous.   She is going to more competitions this year to sort of try and get her less flipped out by it before regionals.