You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: dd has outgrown her dress  (Read 4843 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
dd has outgrown her dress
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:02:27 PM »
So for new dress.  Which one is more sparkly?  Crystal ab or regular crystal.  I usually use the cheap Chinese but I plan on mixing Swarovski this time so opinions on both is appreciated.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
Re: dd has outgrown her dress
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:17:46 PM »
So for new dress.  Which one is more sparkly?  Crystal ab or regular crystal.  I usually use the cheap Chinese but I plan on mixing Swarovski this time so opinions on both is appreciated.

I use the clear AB...I think they sparkle more!  Are you going to do it yourself?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »
Both sparkle - the clear ones are more glittery, the AB ones are a bit warmer as they refract a variety of colours. Consider using coloured crystals as well - they can create very impressive effects. What's the base colour of the dress itself?

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:58:46 PM »
Yes I am doing it.  She wants Rachel Flatt yellow!

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:36:47 AM »
Yes I am doing it.  She wants Rachel Flatt yellow!

DD has one dress that is pink/yellow/orange-- and we have the 'sun' color AB crystals, they look great.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »
Take the material to the rink to see what it looks like under fluorescent lights: yellow can be an awkward colour that way.

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 02:51:46 PM »
And also place the material on your daughter's skin while you are looking at it under the lights - not too many people can wear that shade of yellow and look good in it.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 03:23:06 PM »
And also place the material on your daughter's skin while you are looking at it under the lights - not too many people can wear that shade of yellow and look good in it.

True, my dd is pasty...she'd look like a ghost

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 10:06:41 PM »
no matter what it looks like, if your daughter wants "Rachel Flatt Yellow", then she should have "Rachel Flatt Yellow".   It may not look the best or it may look fabulous.  Regardless, it's what your daughter wants.  Now, maybe when she hits the senior ranks - you could work with a stylist to see what looks best, but now - just go with what makes your daughter happy!  If she loves her dress, she'll feel great about herself and thus have more fun on the ice!   

My daughter's favorite color used to be yellow.  Her first competition dress was yellow.  It looked absolutely horrifying on her but she loved it and had a great time competing in it.  However the following year, I made the mistake of talking her out of a particular dress b/c it didn't look that good on her.  She was miserable all season!  I've definitely learned my lesson!

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:16:26 AM »
no matter what it looks like, if your daughter wants "Rachel Flatt Yellow", then she should have "Rachel Flatt Yellow".   It may not look the best or it may look fabulous.  Regardless, it's what your daughter wants.  Now, maybe when she hits the senior ranks - you could work with a stylist to see what looks best, but now - just go with what makes your daughter happy!  If she loves her dress, she'll feel great about herself and thus have more fun on the ice!   

My daughter's favorite color used to be yellow.  Her first competition dress was yellow.  It looked absolutely horrifying on her but she loved it and had a great time competing in it.  However the following year, I made the mistake of talking her out of a particular dress b/c it didn't look that good on her.  She was miserable all season!  I've definitely learned my lesson!

That is a great point! I also think there are ways to incorperate a color that may not flatter you by making it a part of the dress, but not the only color on the dress. :)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:26:58 AM »
That is a great point! I also think there are ways to incorperate a color that may not flatter you by making it a part of the dress, but not the only color on the dress. :)

Or by using a different color on the crystals?

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »
I was laughing so much!!  It really doesn't matter for dd because she is so pale white people call her white!  But she better make up her mind soon!!! 

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:02:05 AM »
I was laughing so much!!  It really doesn't matter for dd because she is so pale white people call her white!  But she better make up her mind soon!!! 

My dd is like this too... it is a good thing she does an 'indoor' sport