You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Balls  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Balls
« on: August 02, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »
DH thinks I've gone around the bend.  I need a ball organizer for my second-childhood toys, *chuckles*!

First, I bought a big exercise ball, which I use for various exercises on occasion.  He puts it in the storage room, so it's often forgotten until I want to do a workout.

Months later, I saw these small  (2") balls in a kit at BJ's/Costco.  They're for neck and upper back stretching exercises.
It works okay, but it's hard to read the instructions for each exercise and use them at the same time.

I found these squishy balls for hand-strengthening but I don't like them.  They're too stiff, so I switched to foam pool balls that aren't as bothersome.

Last week, I started PT and she has me using a 4" ball between my knees to strengthen the inner thigh muscles.  She laughed when I said I wanted it in purple.  Apparently, figure skaters like purple, so she had to search the box of balls to find the last one, lol.  It's a nice size - I tuck into my workout bag when I go to the gym.

Yesterday, I was at Five Below (discount store chain - everything's $5 or less) and bought a 9" inflatable gym ball.  (In purple, lol.  I got the last one on the shelf.)  I used it last night as a stretch/massage aid after I worked out.  My back feels really good today!

See what happens when I can't skate?  Who says we have to grow up!
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Balls
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »
Oh lord, when I saw this topic title ... I started to laugh ... many years ago, my son came home telling me about how he and his coach had been playing with her  - balls - on the ice and that she had been showing him what do with her - balls - and how they could be used to practice skating jumps and spins - and telling him that the ones she had weren't big enough, she needed bigger - balls - especially because she had my kid who is, of course, male - and that she had spent quite a bit of time showing him to - hold - and - bounce - balls.

Nearly swerved off the road, had to pull over until I stopped laughing - being innocent mom, I thought my little guy was clueless about why I was laughing, until I looked in the rear view mirror and realized the little - darling - knew exactly what he was talking about.

I started sprouting grey hair at a rapid pace that day.

Sorry, totally off-topic, and somewhat inappropriate.

More seriously (less) - our one cat has an inquisitive nature, and my kid realized that he needed somewhere to store his pilates/theraball when he saw the cat go 6 feet up in the air and run screaming thru the house (Siamese) after carefully puncturing the ball with one misplaced claw; as it was overinflated, it exploded nicely!

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 02:51:36 AM »
Sk8tmum: you're not the only one who found the title...interesting. ;)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »
I like to do work (situps and balance work) on the pilates ball. My trainer uses it all the time.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »
I gathered all my balls into my office so I could use them regularly.  The kids found them and now they're scattered to the wind.  My PT ball was in my bag, so it was out of sight, out of mind.  It's still in that bag.  I found the new one in a crate, the big one in the family room* and the others are amongst the missing.

*The big one in the family room is a good idea; the girls were using it while watching TV.  Excellent!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline CrossStroke

• Administrator
  • Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 03:48:59 PM »
I found the new one in a crate, the big one in the family room* and the others are amongst the missing.

*The big one in the family room is a good idea; the girls were using it while watching TV.  Excellent!

A number of years ago I bought a swiss ball for myself.  I haven't used it much, but the purchase was one of the best "toys" I've ever bought, as it has been "stolen" by my then-preschooler (now 12).  He uses it alllll the time when watching TV or playing on wii/ps3.  Often it involves his feet being perched up on the coffee table, nearby couch or anything else (feet in front of him if he's "sitting" on the ball, or behind him is he's on his stomach).