You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adult Nationals impressions?  (Read 3145 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Adult Nationals impressions?
« on: April 12, 2012, 12:08:15 AM »
It's been really quiet about USFS AN 2012 in Bensenville. For people at the arena or watching Ice Network (is it live?) what are your impressions / experiences? I was told the bronze men I & II groups were surprisingly small this year, go figure.

Offline Terri C

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Adult Nationals impressions?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 11:19:48 AM »
First and foremost, I'm really dissapointed with the lack of IN coverage on this event.
From what I've heard from some of my skating friends who are there as well as on Facebook, this AN is a dissapointment compared to the last one held in Chicago held in 2007.
There is no music allowed on the paid for practice sessions for one. Then you need to keep your receipt showing that you paid for practice ice with you or else you are not allowed to get on the ice- and if you lose it, too bad!
Then there's the practice ice that has been said to be bumpy and to top it off, there was no podium or photographer for yesterday's events.
Oh....no "official" warmup for Interp events either.  88)

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:22:38 PM »
In the past, Lexi has done a blog but I can't seem to find it this year.

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 12:41:16 AM »
I'm at Adult Nationals in Bensenville this week competing in Bronze Ice Dancing. And Yes, there are some problems and inconveniences. It seems that when a city is awarded a USFS adult competition, each and every time it is a case of " Reinventing the Wheel ". Some local committees do a fine job with running the competition, and others, not so good. It's different every time, and at every place. You would think that information or experience would somehow be retained by the USFS to be used at future Adult Nationals. But if that is not to happen, and sometimes it does not happen, what is an adult competitor supposed to do ? Just quit competing ?

BTW----At least there is enough free parking close to the rinks that are being used ! And there are several " Ice Network " banners up, and it appears as if some of the events are being videotaped. But I do not have cable, so I can not say or know what is being broadcast, if any. What little TV that I watch these days comes from YouTube or the Internet, mostly anime or anime music videos.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:57:29 AM »
I am sure the abundant camaraderie far outweigh inconveniences and no one quits :P
How is attendance this year compared to past competitions? :)

Offline Terri C

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 06:35:35 PM »
I'm at Adult Nationals in Bensenville this week competing in Bronze Ice Dancing. And Yes, there are some problems and inconveniences. It seems that when a city is awarded a USFS adult competition, each and every time it is a case of " Reinventing the Wheel ". Some local committees do a fine job with running the competition, and others, not so good. It's different every time, and at every place. You would think that information or experience would somehow be retained by the USFS to be used at future Adult Nationals.

First of all, the host city used to be announced at the end of April..now that's July 1.
Given that, there was something said years ago about there being a "How To" manual for AN's. I wonder what happened with that.

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
I am sure the abundant camaraderie far outweigh inconveniences and no one quits :P
How is attendance this year compared to past competitions? :)

I asked today about this years attendance, and was told that about 550 skaters competed  over 900 times. I do not know what the attendance for the Salt Lake AN was, so I do not know if this year was an increase or a  decrease. The audience has been light, with only friends, family, and other skaters watching the competition. The main rink is a hockey stadium, so there are plenty of seats. But the other two rinks do not even have seats, so you have to stand all the time to watch the action on the ice.

Adult competitions are so, so different from the kid's competitions.  It seems like many of the adult competitors want to help and encourage other adults, even to the point of throwing plushies and tossies to friends and strangers alike, or offering a kind word, for just about any effort to skate one's program or dance as best that an adult can do, no matter if high level or lower level. Your seemingly boldest competitor on the ice becomes your best friend and ally off the ice.  It's not like the kid's competitions where it's a " Dog eat Dog " , or a " Predator Competitor " spirit both on and off the ice.

BTW---Did really well in Bronze Dance, I made it to the podium for a medal !
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 11:20:07 PM »
Thanks for sharing everyone, good luck to those yet to compete!

But the other two rinks do not even have seats, so you have to stand all the time to watch the action on the ice... Your seemingly boldest competitor on the ice becomes your best friend and ally off the ice... BTW---Did really well in Bronze Dance, I made it to the podium for a medal !

Wow congratulations on medalling!!! Is a video being uploaded somewhere? ;)
No seats for some events? Can't imagine how elderly spectators handle it...
Cheers for best friend and ALLY! (somehow smell conspiracy in the air, lol)

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM »
It will be available on IN shortly after the event.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 12:58:54 AM »
I had fun watching today.  It was not like a Junior Grand Prix where the stands are embarrassingly empty.  There was a fairly good crowd this evening, and I saw some familiar faces both on and off the ice.  I was particularly impressed by the men's Choreo Spirals in Novice-Senior. 

I didn't know I was going to get charged an $8 admission, but I didn't mind.  I would have been happier if it had been announced prominently on the event website.  The event seemed mostly well run.  The most noticeable problem was insufficient space at the boards for coaches to coach during warmup.  The staff were very careful to patch every divot, even when the event only featured tiny jumps.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 01:24:02 AM »
LOL the admission fee was unexpected but reasonable, the $15 program got me :sweat though.

I watched the pre-gold free dance, some gold men, and several artistic events. Stands across from the judges were pretty filled up when gold ladies started in the late morning. Regardless of attendance, there were lots of stuffed animals and unknown objects flying in the air, sometimes making it across the hockey glasses some times not. Very warm atmosphere overall.

And personally the most pleasant surprise was how much creativity competitors put into artistic programs!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 02:12:18 AM »
there was no podium or photographer for yesterday's events.

There was a podium Saturday.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright