You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Hockey Politics - Did you see this story?  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Hockey Politics - Did you see this story?
« on: January 31, 2016, 06:24:07 PM »
You think figure skating is all about politics?    Politics are alive and well in the NHL this weekend as they play their "All Star" Game.

Here's the background, followed by two stories.    The fans pick the NHL All Stars to play in the game.  The Internet fans decided to bolster a regular hockey player, one they like to cheer.  They picked John Scott.    John Scott is a "goon", a fighter.  He's also played since he was 3 years old, has an engineering degree, played college hockey, never saw a fight until he played professional hockey.  (As a fellow skater, you just feel for the hours of practice).    The NHL asks him to not take the All-Star position because he's not a 'great' player.  He refuses, and the NHL tries to guilt him out of playing by stating, 'do you want your kids to be embarrassed'.    He digs his heels in, and the NHL has a big problem.  They want the spot to go to a "great" player.   The NHL gets Scott's team to trade him, and then the accepting team demotes him to the minor league.   Now that he's not with his team (nor the NHL), he can't play the All Star game.  But, fans revolt.  The NHL keeps him in the All-Star game.  But, he is still with the minors, lost his NHL job, has to move thousands of miles away . . . because the fans liked him enough to put him as an All Star   Isn't that the shaft!

From his own words
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/

Two other great articles:
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/1/16/10777618/john-scott-all-star-game-trade-coyotes-nhl-canadiens-wife-kids

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/2016/1/29/10874038/what-the-john-scott-situation-says-about-the-nhl

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Re: Hockey Politics - Did you see this story?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 06:37:39 PM »
Same old story.  Play in someone else's sandbox and you inevitably get sand kicked in your face.

Offline trixietoes

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 06:54:51 PM »
I was just wondering where all the real stars like Crosby, Ovetchkin , maybe Marchand and Prousse ? I know Price is injured.

It was fun to se them having fun and the kids were cute.

I wonder what a skills contest for skaters, on network TV, could do for our sport ?

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 07:01:19 PM »
I wonder what a skills contest for skaters, on network TV, could do for our sport ?

Wasn't there a jump contest not long back?  Anyone know how that did?

Offline trixietoes

• Axelicious!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 08:22:44 PM »
And a fairly major figure skills event in Lake Placid in August with Trixi Shuba in attendance as a judge. Now seriously, why wasn't that televised.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 08:29:23 PM »
That event was broadcast live on Periscope, which was great but reminded me why they're no longer en vogue.   After the second competitor, it's just more of the same, especially at the higher levels.  It's robotic because they all look the same.  Thanks to IJS, the freestyle programs now all look very similar.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline trixietoes

• Axelicious!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 09:31:13 PM »
Figures do not all look the same any more that putting a puck through the net over and over again looks the same...if if did there would not be a billion dollar  a year pro hockey industry.  But never mind, the money is in merch not seats.

For those of us who spent our youths going around in circles, we know.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 10:17:24 PM »
The hockey story goes on.  Last night was the big game.  John Scott, who doesn't score much because he's not put inf or his scoring, scores an unprecedented two (2) goals last night!  (more goals than the guys that make millions).   It's unbelievable!  He's smiling from ear to ear!    His team wins the tournament, and he gets to share the $1 million prize with his teammates. 

But,  with any game, they have to pick the MVP.    John Scott's 2 goals, he should be a sure pick for MVP.  BUT, the knuckleheads at the NHL selects 3 players for the fans to choose from.  But, none were John Scott!  Out of touch?   I think so.   So, the NHL teams (yes the teams) & fans start a riot vote (twitter, etc) for John Scott.  The fans at the game booed the NHL Commissioner too.   In the end, the NHL comes to their senses and picks John Scott as MVP.    What a night.  John Scott accepts the million dollar check from the man that moved him to Siberia (Newfoundland) and treated him like sh**.   To top it all off, John Scott has a SONG made in his honor by the hockey band, The Zambonis.   This is better drama than figure skating!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9MZoQaxpOo

Offline trixietoes

• Axelicious!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 07:39:33 AM »
If you want hockey drama , watch "Hockey Wives", a reality show on CBC. Might be able to find on you tube. New episodes in spring I think. Has NHL wives like wives of Cary Price, Justin Prousse, Dustin Brown, George Pharros, that goalie who let in Crosby goal in Vancouver OLY ( she is an LA actress.  Yup, that's drama.

For the record , Newfoundland is not Siberia, but I am impressed you even know about Newfoundland. Now, can you pronounce it ? Understand it's Newfoundland.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 09:00:04 AM »
(The Siberia thing is was in a column, a reference to what the Russian's would do with a dissenter.   He plays in Arizona, has 2 kids and twins on the way due any day.   So, Newfoundland is as far away as possible, and a means to disrupt he and his family's life as much as possible for his decision to play in the All-Star game.    I've not been to Newfoundland, but my husband has been there on business.  He said it was very nice.  The parts he was in were more rural, (working with a gas/oil provider).  He ate awesome scallops.   It, Barcelona, and Slovenia are the three places he said I should see.  No disrespect intended to Newfoundland.  The closest I've been is Maine, when I lived in Boston.  I don't know how to pronounce or spell, my fingers are fat and I type fast.   I say, "New-fund-lund"  Is that right, given that I don't have a Canadian accent, 'aye?' :))

I don't normally watch those "wives" or "mother" shows.   I'll have to give it a second shot.   I heard about it, then heard one of the wives was griping because her husband only made $800,000 a year.  So, that was a turn-off before I ever looked for it.   But, I don't watch alot of network or cable tv, unless it's figure skating (of course).

Overall, I think this John Scott story is a story of sportsmanship.  Fans and other teams rallied behind a humble, honorable athlete both on & off the ice.   Isn't that something that's missing in sports these days?  We need heroes for our children to look up to.   Deflate-gate, steroid-gate, bimbo-gate, wife beating/raping-gates, human growth hormone gate,  Kerrigan/Harding-knee injuring gate, figure skating judges colluding-gate, FIFA gate, etc.  It's nice to see this story.

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 10:07:08 AM »
I really enjoyed this story, despite no interest in or knowledge of ice hockey. Very uplifting. He just needs to get put back in NHL now...

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 08:33:07 PM »
The fans at the game booed the NHL Commissioner too.   

Bettman should be booed. He's a jerk.

For the record , Newfoundland is not Siberia, but I am impressed you even know about Newfoundland. Now, can you pronounce it ? Understand it's Newfoundland.

My dad was in the US Navy and stationed at Placentia Bay. I was 6 months old when we moved there. My brother and sister were both born there. And it's pronounced "the Rock".
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)