You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How to get more than one rotation for off-ice jumps?  (Read 169 times)

Offline Arwen17

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 4
How to get more than one rotation for off-ice jumps?
« on: October 25, 2017, 01:10:35 PM »
My on-ice and off-ice axel has exactly the same problem, rotation-wise, always 1/2 rotation short.
Even if I just jump in place, I can only get one full rotation before I land. It doesn't seem to matter how much I bend my knees. Shallow bend or deep bend both give me only one rotation. WTF?

If I try to kick higher on the floor-axel, then I can't snap into backspin position because the knee is too high. But I don't know how to get more height or rotation-speed. I feel like its gotta be one or both of those for why I can't fully rotate the jump and always forever be 1/2 short or 1/4 short.
There was a time when I was trying to "brute-force" it, which left me panting and too exhausted to do anything else after several attempts. I stopped that because it just doesn't seem like everyone else is using that much effort to make rotation or height happen. They seem to do it so easily and effortlessly. I asked one girl who just got her axel if she thinks she uses more energy in her camel or axel and she said definitely camel. Well I can do a camel just fine and I'm working on back camel. Why is axel taking this much energy to rotate and still failing? I'm missing something.

Anyone else have problems rotating more than once (on-ice and off-ice) and how did you fix it? Is this just a rhythm/timing thing or a strength thing or what? It's just hard for me to believe it's a strength thing since the others seem to do it so effortlessly and think camel spins take more energy than axel. How much energy or strength do you think axel takes in comparison to other skills you have?

Offline Doubletoe

• Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 135
Re: How to get more than one rotation for off-ice jumps?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 06:29:03 PM »
Some of it has to do with getting enough height, but a lot of it has to do with how you create rotation in your right hip and what position every part of your body needs to be in for rotation.  Here's the exercise that got me my axel on the floor (and later on the ice):

Wearing sneakers that fit well and aren't *too* grabby on the bottom, stand in front of a secured bench or other raised surface that is about the height of your knee (not higher).  If you're facing the bench, turn 90 degrees to the right so that the bench is to your left, about 2-3 feet away.  Now simulate a landing position on your right foot (RBO edge) with your left toe resting on the floor for balance. Now, look in the direction of the bench, bring your free foot and arms in to square up, then step forward onto the left foot facing the bench for takeoff.  Keep your right shoulder back as you take off.  Now do 1/2 turn in the air and land backward on the bench on your right foot in a loop jump air position (arms rounded in front of you, left thigh lifted, left heel in front of right shin).  Do this exercise until you can land completely backward on the right foot with control.  Now do the same thing on the open floor, but pull your arms and free leg in once you are backward in that loop jump position.  That will give you the additional 1 revolution.

Offline Arwen17

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 4
Re: How to get more than one rotation for off-ice jumps?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 09:07:50 PM »
Some of it has to do with getting enough height, but a lot of it has to do with how you create rotation in your right hip and what position every part of your body needs to be in for rotation.  Here's the exercise that got me my axel on the floor (and later on the ice):

Wearing sneakers that fit well and aren't *too* grabby on the bottom, stand in front of a secured bench or other raised surface that is about the height of your knee (not higher).  If you're facing the bench, turn 90 degrees to the right so that the bench is to your left, about 2-3 feet away.  Now simulate a landing position on your right foot (RBO edge) with your left toe resting on the floor for balance. Now, look in the direction of the bench, bring your free foot and arms in to square up, then step forward onto the left foot facing the bench for takeoff.  Keep your right shoulder back as you take off.  Now do 1/2 turn in the air and land backward on the bench on your right foot in a loop jump air position (arms rounded in front of you, left thigh lifted, left heel in front of right shin).  Do this exercise until you can land completely backward on the right foot with control.  Now do the same thing on the open floor, but pull your arms and free leg in once you are backward in that loop jump position.  That will give you the additional 1 revolution.

I will add this exercise in with my usual ones! thank you for the reply!