You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: USFSA Governing Council 2017  (Read 5849 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
USFSA Governing Council 2017
« on: February 22, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »
US Figure Skating's Governing Council meeting is on May 3-7, 2017 in Colorado Springs, CO. 
http://www.2017governingcouncil.com/page/show/1877257-home

I'm not going to it, but I wanted to know what was being voted on and discussed.

When does the GC Meeting Book come out?  Are all proposed changes/additions in the Meeting Book, or do you have to look elsewhere for upcoming changes? 

If you don't agree with a proposal, what should you do?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: USFSA Governing Council 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:23:24 PM »
I'm just curious: Do most USFS clubs send delegates? If they do, it must be a madhouse. :)

>If you don't agree with a proposal, what should you do?

On the site you named, it says you can appoint a proxy - so you need to find someone who agrees with you on most things. :)

Don't the individual committees submit proposed rules changes? Maybe you have to look up info for those committees?

BTW, the usfs members only site has has another page:

https://www.usfsaonline.org/GeneralInfo/GoverningCouncil

But it doesn't have stuff for 2017. Maybe you can only find out what happens after the fact?

Some other info from last year: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/2016-usfs-governing-council-news-photos-etc-combined-report-of-action-link.98527/ You can guess their timetable for publication of the combined report of action from that thread.

Good luck!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 08:11:12 AM »
I read this in the 2017 Meeting Book:

Installation and validation of spinners continues throughout the country through a second-party vendor. The spinner is a mechanical device that consists of a motorized rotating platform that can rotate the skater at speeds approaching what they need to achieve to do advanced triples and quad jumps. This device can be used for proprioception exercises as well. Similar technology has been used for several years in Russia at both developmental and elite levels. The intention of the device is to increase body awareness, improve the vestibular system and improve performance and safety versus repeated failed jump attempts on the ice. U.S. Figure Skating will continue to work with the technology resources at the USOC to validate the spinner.

Sounds like what NASA uses to train astronauts.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 10:56:13 AM »
Hey, Figures Advocates:

required: One or Tthree low or higher rank figure judge(s).
FTR 8.04 Third Test (3): Judging panel required: One or Tthree intermediate or higher rank figure judge(s).
FTR 8.05 Fourth Test (4): Judging panel required: One or Tthree intermediate or higher rank figure judge(s).
FTR 8.06 Fifth Test (5): Judging panel required: One or Tthree high intermediate or higher rank figure judge(s). (Intermediate figure judge appointed prior to October 1992 may also judge this test.)
FTR 8.07 Sixth Test (6): Judging panel required: One or Tthree high or higher rank figure judge(s).
FTR 8.08 Seventh Test (7): Judging panel required: One or Tthree high or higher rank figure judge(s).
FTR 8.09 Eighth Test (8): Judging panel required: One or Tthree gold figure judge(s).
FTR 8.10 Adult Bronze Figure Test (BFI): Judging panel required: One or Tthree low or higher rank figure judge(s).; or one intermediate or higher rank figure judge.
FTR 8.11 Adult Silver Figure Test (SFI): Judging panel required: One or Tthree intermediate or higher rank figure judge(s).
FTR 8.12 Adult Gold Figure Test (GFI): Judging panel required: One or Tthree high or higher rank figure judge(s).
Note: Rules JR 6.01 and JR 7.01 will be updated accordingly.
Implementation date: July 1, 2017 Committee vote: 23 yes, 2 no, 0 abstain
Rationale: With renewed interest in figures in some areas of the country, it is important we maintain our ability to support and encourage participation in this discipline. Allowing a single-judge panel option for figure tests would help to ensure we have qualified figure test judges available.
A single-judge panel for all levels of tests within a discipline is consistent with solo pattern dance tests (single-judge panel option for solo preliminary through solo international pattern dance tests, rule JR 7.01). This judging panel option is in place to encourage participation in both solo pattern dance tests and in the Solo Dance Competition Series.
Figure tests are their own entity. The passing of any figure test does not serve as prerequisite for any other non-figure test or competition event.
Financial impact: Makes it easier and less expensive for clubs to offer figure tests

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 12:06:25 AM »

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 10:58:16 AM »
C. For adult candidates (intermediate through senior moves in the field tests), the candidate should show the same level of achievement as that of a standard candidate at one test level below. For masters candidates (intermediate through senior moves in the field tests), the candidate should show the same level of achievement as that of a standard candidate at two test levels below. For masters candidates (adult bronze through adult gold moves in the field tests), the candidate should show the same level of achievement as that of an adult candidate at one test level below.

Only problem is that judges have differing opinions of what the standard candidate achievement levels should be in the first place.  Still, it's good to know.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »
Hey, Figures Advocates:

You know this is great but I think it's time they start implementing a trial-judging track for figures judges again - I would LOVE to judge figures but have no opportunities to trial judge them.  A lot of our figures judges are retired from judging or don't want to walk out on the ice anymore so it is only a matter of time before there will be no judges left to judge figures.

I hope they are working on this because I would be very interested!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »
You know this is great but I think it's time they start implementing a trial-judging track for figures judges again - I would LOVE to judge figures but have no opportunities to trial judge them.  A lot of our figures judges are retired from judging or don't want to walk out on the ice anymore so it is only a matter of time before there will be no judges left to judge figures.

I hope they are working on this because I would be very interested!

I never knew it, but after I was glancing through the figures tests, but there's a preliminary figures test. I could set that as my goal. I mean, maybe if they used moves judges for the preliminary figures, it could get more people at least to TRY testing figures.

What's the point of having a test if no one is there to judge? Or you have to travel to a once a year testing location but if you get a retry, you have to wait a year?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 07:40:05 AM »
A few of us at my rink are going to try the Adult Bronze figure test next month. The judges are tickled pink to get to judge it! We figure we'll learn a lot even if we don't pass.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 10:07:20 AM »

I never knew it, but after I was glancing through the figures tests, but there's a preliminary figures test. I could set that as my goal. I mean, maybe if they used moves judges for the preliminary figures, it could get more people at least to TRY testing figures.

What's the point of having a test if no one is there to judge? Or you have to travel to a once a year testing location but if you get a retry, you have to wait a year?

You should try the prelim figures test!!!!  Once you get that, you can try the 1st test, too.  The FO8 and FI8 will re-appear there as well as 3's, although not as intricate as that waltz 8. Plus Serpentines are fun.

I think it's bril that the USFSA is re-defining rules figures tests.  Hopefully lots will jump on the band wagon, and there will be more tests, so icedancer's wish for opportunities for new judges to be trained will come true!!!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »

Go for it!!  There is also Adult Bronze which is very much like the Preliminary Test!!

Most areas still have some figures judges willing to judge and some will even drive long distances out of their area to judge a figures test so that is not such a big deal! 

The problem might be finding a time to test on a test session - but what I think most people do is find some time during the day to do a figures test - they take more times than any moves or dance tests and have to do be on pristine clean ice.  I took my Adult Bronze Figures test on a quiet public session just after an ice-cut - we coned off part of the rink for the test which was fine with the other skaters.

And yes Moves judges (all judges are Moves judges actually) - could do the lower-level figures tests with some training as to test standard etc.  When we had our Figures Competition we had a judge who had done figures as a kid as one of the judges for a lower-level event and it was just fine!

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »
The Combined Report of Action has now been posted.  This shows all of the rule changes that were agreed upon at Governing Council.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2016-17%20Combined%20Report%20of%20Action%20FINAL.pdf/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 02:43:37 PM »
Thanks for posting -

I don't know why but your link didn't open for me so I went to the website and opened it on my own - this is the link - the only difference being the back-slash at the end:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2016-17%20Combined%20Report%20of%20Action%20FINAL.pdf

Maybe this will work for others - I don't know!

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 06:11:19 PM »
Thanks for posting -

I don't know why but your link didn't open for me so I went to the website and opened it on my own - this is the link - the only difference being the back-slash at the end:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2016-17%20Combined%20Report%20of%20Action%20FINAL.pdf

Maybe this will work for others - I don't know!

That works!  (Also, the link they posted on their Facebook page accidentally went to last year's report, not this year's.)

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 06:14:03 PM »
Thanks for the link. I scrolled through and I wonder how competition levels are going to be handled with the new freeskate testing requirements. It makes sense that tests are reflective of what skaters need to compete at a particular level (which I think is currently really confusing). But, how is that going to work with test track, for kids who already have passed the easier freeskate test in order to skate test track but definitely aren't ready to skate well-balanced.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 10:04:05 PM »
Good question!

I think in most ways it will be the same as it has been because the test requirements haven't reflected what we actually see in competition for a long long time.

Looking at the Pre-pre I see that for a test a skater can now (well starting late next year - after Regionals actually so it won't affect this year's skating season) - do a more complex program to music rather than individual elements.

The requirements are broader for the test - waltz jump or axel - instead of just waltz jump.  They can do full rotation jumps but can still do a half-flip or half-lutz if desired (these jumps will never be competitive at Pre-Pre and never have been but they were required for the test) -

There are two spins at Pre-pre rather than just one - so that is a change in the test requirement.

For Preliminary all of the same elements for the test are there but they are broader - a skater can do an axel on a test (never could do an axel in the past until Juvenile where it was required) and they can do a couple of doubles (sal and toe I think but not flip lutz and loop) - so there are restrictions.  The spin requirement is a little broader and they have more to choose from.

Does this answer your question? Or does it just bring up more questions?

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 10:31:10 PM »
Yes, answers questions, and also yes, brings up more. :)

One nice thing for me is that our coaches are definitely on top of everything, so I don't need to worry about any of this kind of thing. I'm just curious, more than anything.

It makes sense that the test matches up better with what is needed to compete, I've always found that confusing. My child does not skate well-balanced and probably never will, so I'm not quite sure where these changes will leave her. Will she be able to pass the prelim freestyle without the axel and doubles in order to compete in the test track level? It will be interesting to see how the two different tracks mesh with the new testing requirements.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 10:46:46 PM »
Yes, answers questions, and also yes, brings up more. :)

One nice thing for me is that our coaches are definitely on top of everything, so I don't need to worry about any of this kind of thing. I'm just curious, more than anything.

It makes sense that the test matches up better with what is needed to compete, I've always found that confusing. My child does not skate well-balanced and probably never will, so I'm not quite sure where these changes will leave her. Will she be able to pass the prelim freestyle without the axel and doubles in order to compete in the test track level? It will be interesting to see how the two different tracks mesh with the new testing requirements.

Well that is great that her coaches are on top of it!  The changes sometimes confuse a lot of the people around skating - parents, skaters, judges and coaches!

What I don't know is if - say at Regionals there will be (or have been in the past) - a "Test track" Preliminary competition (for instance) and then a "Competitive level" track Preliminary - it may depend on the region. 

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 11:41:40 PM »
Our regionals have a full list of non-qualifying events that include the test track levels in addition to the non-qaulifying and qualifying well-balanced levels. At least they have for the last few years, we haven't been in the skating world for all that long.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 10:58:01 AM »
Our regionals have a full list of non-qualifying events that include the test track levels in addition to the non-qaulifying and qualifying well-balanced levels. At least they have for the last few years, we haven't been in the skating world for all that long.

What region are you in?

If that is the case then I don't think the new testing structure will affect the Test-Track skaters at all.

I am in the Pacific NW and I don't believe there are any Test Track events at our Regionals.  BUT I don't follow it that closely because I am not a parent of a skater or a coach and I am not a competition judge - I think we probably don't have enough skaters to divide it out.  I will ask a friend at the rink this morning as she has been more involved with that side of things that I have.

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
We are in the UGL region. Two years ago, just test track pre-pre had 3 or 4 flights with at least 14 skaters in each flight. The have a QR and then a final round, so even though it is non-qualifying, it is still a great competition. With my daughter's age and current skating level, I just can't imagine she will get to the point of being able to skate a well-balanced, qualifying event at regionals before becoming and adult, so I really appreciate the opportunity for her to skate in test track events at regionals, even if they are non-qualifying.