You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: jacksons?  (Read 1851 times)

Offline maddieonice

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
jacksons?
« on: March 08, 2017, 05:29:25 PM »
hello!

I'm currently skating in jackson artistes and I am working on my salchow, toe loop, flip jump, waltz and waltz-loop combination as well as spins and foot work/step sequences. I skate about 5-7 times a week, 3 of those 5/7 being lessons.
My coaches and other skaters have told me that I desperately need to upgrade my skates and that they are very surprised that I can do what I can do in those skates. I quite like Jacksons, so I think I'm gonna go with another pair of them.
I'm 16 and I weigh about 148lbs and Ive been told that since I'm older and not the lightest person that I may need a stiffer boot. I live in Texas and unfortunatly there really aren't many pro-shops around me but I'm going to try to find one to get fitted and get their opinions as well.

-For my level of skating are the freestyles/competitors a good boot for me and if you've had either of these skates before did you like them?
-If its possible to answer, about what stiffness rating should my boots be? 
-Also, how long and how hard will it be to break them in if I end up going with them?

Thank you!  ;D

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: jacksons?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 07:18:09 PM »
Have you looked in the archives or at the pinned posts about this subject?  It seems like every week somebody is asking about these skates (or others but Jacksons seem to be the most popular right now) - there is tons of information there - and didn't you post this same question last week and someone gave you a reference for someone in Texas who could help you?

If that wasn't you then I most certainly apologize - but there has been a lot of discussion on this topic and some very good information to be had by just looking at the archives of this site!

Offline maddieonice

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »
Have you looked in the archives or at the pinned posts about this subject?  It seems like every week somebody is asking about these skates (or others but Jacksons seem to be the most popular right now) - there is tons of information there - and didn't you post this same question last week and someone gave you a reference for someone in Texas who could help you?

If that wasn't you then I most certainly apologize - but there has been a lot of discussion on this topic and some very good information to be had by just looking at the archives of this site!

Oh, no I haven't, I had not seen them! I apologize, I suppose I should have checked to see if there was anything similar asked already  :sweat and I don't think I posted this question before it must have been someone else.

I will definitely take a look at the archives and pinned posts! Thank you so much.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 07:36:47 PM »
I started in Jackson Mystics and bumped up to Competitors when my heels started moving (because I was losing weight!) I was working on single jumps when I bumped up to Premieres to accommodate my super-wide ball and average heels. I weigh more than you do, but the Competitors were a good boot for singles. My first pair lasted 8 or so years of 3-4 hours a week.

Weight aside, are you a light skater or a heavy skater? I'm a heavy skater so I need a heftier boot. I have a friend that's working on axel, but is in Jackson Freestyles because she's a light skater.

My advice is that if you like your Jacksons, get properly measured/fitted. Get the right size. At 16, you should be mostly done growing and shouldn't need to get new skates in a year. Talk to your coach and other skaters about fitters and proshops. I had a Jackson rep measure my feet. Best thing I ever did, skating-wise.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:03:29 AM »
Here are my responses:   

For my level of skating are the freestyles/competitors a good boot for me and if you've had either of these skates before did you like them?

I wore Competitors for about 2-3 years and didn't like them at all.  The stock blade wasn't half as good as my Gold Seals - the Ultimas were slow on the ice with an odd rocker placement.  I ended up changing skates before the boots broke down because I just didn't like them at all. 

I have a skater at your level who was placed in Jackson Premiere's, which work well for a tall/heavy skater.  The fitter says they're better-quality than the Competitors.

If its possible to answer, about what stiffness rating should my boots be?

I don't know if the stiffness ratings are fully standardized, but you are a USFSA Freeskate 4-5 level skater, so the fitter can make a better recommendation than an internet chart.
Kinzie's Closet has such a chart, but some of our members have contested the accuracy.  I will say that my fitter does overboot heavy and tall skaters because they break down "chart perfect" boots too quickly.  Sometimes, it's worth going up a level in stiffness to make the boots last longer. 
https://www.kinziescloset.com/skate-comparison-guide.html

Also, how long and how hard will it be to break them in if I end up going with them?
That depends on you - your current boots probably felt fine within 2-3 sessions because they don't have much support.  They molded to your feet more easily.  The stiffer the boot, the longer the break in, assuming they are correct for your level.  My Competitors took about 20 hours to mold/break in, with adjustments and exercises.  The Harlicks I'm wearing now took about 10 hours of skating to break in properly. 

Proper sizing is critical - don't fool around ordering off the internet because, ChristyRN pointed out, you'll be in these skates for a while since your feet won't grow very much.  Ask the skating coaches and high-level skaters to recommend a fitter.  Ask them to measure your feet, length and width.  Be prepared to ORDER and WAIT for the correct sized skates.  Don't be tempted to buy something in stock that's not the right size.  Sometimes, people will buy a larger size when they really need a wider width.  Tripping over the toepick while skating is not fun at all.

A few years ago, I had a skater go from Classiques, which are Jackson's highest-level beginner skates, to Freestyles.  The sizing between the introductory skates and the "specialty" skates was radically different, so while you might be wearing a 7 in Artistes, you might need a 6.5 in Competitors.  You have to try the skates on to see which size fits well.

Another thing to consider is that you should upgrade to a freestyle blade like a Wilson Coronation Ace or similar if you're doing spins and jumps.  The difference between the Artiste stock blade and a CorAce is incredible.  Your jumps and spins will improve, once you get used to a blade with a rocker and more prominent toe picks.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com