You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Integrating exercise in daily life  (Read 4876 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Integrating exercise in daily life
« on: November 08, 2016, 09:51:16 AM »
I have difficulty setting time for off-ice exercise. There's always a lot more important things than exercise, and skating is the only thing I can make time for.

And exercise routines are boring. There. I've said it.  ;D

Maybe exercise can be integrated in daily activities. Aside from being more efficient in terms of time, I think it's also good if we keep engaging the muscles most of the day instead of just a few minutes in an exercise routine.

Some examples I've tried:
1. Engaging the glutes while standing or walking.
-- This worked wonders for me. I was able to correct my skating posture (previously lordotic) in less than 2 weeks by consciously engaging the gluteal muscles.

2. Using your tablet in bed with the arms pointing upwards
-- Best for mind relaxation time (aka mindless browsing). My arm muscles are weak and I find that this engages my triceps enough. I think changing the position slightly will engage a different set.

I'm looking for ways to exercise my quads without actually having to do squats as part of an exercise routine. Any ideas?

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Re: Integrating exercise in daily life
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:58:01 AM »
One of my favorites involves curling a beer stein from the table to my lips.  Return to the table.  3 sets, 20 (or so) reps.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 10:24:50 AM »
One of my favorites involves curling a beer stein from the table to my lips.  Return to the table.  3 sets, 20 (or so) reps.

LOL.  When I was a grad student (barely pre-web days; journal articles weren't online yet) my exercise plan consisted of brisk walks to and from the library, carrying stacks of weights.  Then photocopier lid lifts.  Many, many reps.  Plus I was on the vending machine diet plan.

For actual exercise, I try for short circuit training types of things I can easily do at home in just a few minutes (10 min exercise, 10-20 min stretching).  I use a goal setter app to keep me motivated.  It usually works until I get a break in the routine and fall out of the habit (which happened this fall and I'm trying to get going again).  Paying attention to glutes and core sounds like a great idea; I just never remember to do it. 

For quads... stairs instead of elevator?  Replace office chair with balance ball?

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 01:48:59 PM »
For me, it's all about the music.

It's not uncommon for me to bust out some moves when a cool song comes up on my random play.   Gotta wear those leather soled dancing shoes all day long.   

It may be fortunate that I work alone, but even if I did work in an office, I still might be inclined...

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 02:03:16 PM »
For quads without squatting, could you rearrange your bedroom or sofa, so while you are browsing the web, with your tablet raised high,  your feet are pressing into the wall, or an exercise ball against the wall?

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 08:50:06 PM »
Skip jump ropes while walking around at home and work?  :stars:  Too bad everyone will thing you are crazy.

Run around at work. No walking allowed! Make sure you step high, and swing your arms a lot.

Carry heavy things around with you a lot.

The thing is, it is supposed to be important to balance quad development against hamstring development. For that matter, full-core strength should perhaps be used along-side quad and hamstring strength for efficient movement. And, unless you are hyper-mobile, you should compensate muscle shortening by stretching. So I think it is pretty hard to do the daily life routine thing alone.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 09:49:46 PM »
One thing I do with the quads is not to sit on the toilet seat. This strengthens my quads, but unfortunately, the height of the toilet seat doesn't allow me to do bend my knees at almost 90 degrees, so it's not too useful for the knee bends required in skating.

I'm wondering if I should practice squatting on the floor while in my room instead of lying down or sitting on my desk. Hmmm....

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 07:53:48 AM »
What about replacing your office and/or computer chairs with yoga balls. You can even get or make some super cute covers for them.... :)

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 08:37:43 AM »
What about replacing your office and/or computer chairs with yoga balls. You can even get or make some super cute covers for them.... :)

I'm thinking of getting an exercise ball for the office,  but will have to check if the height is right for me. I am rather short in stature (in fact I use a riser while sitting in the office.

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 02:36:43 PM »
I'm thinking of getting an exercise ball for the office,  but will have to check if the height is right for me. I am rather short in stature (in fact I use a riser while sitting in the office.

They do come in different sizes, but if they are still too big for you, you may find a peanut or egg shape suitable, and they wont roll as much. If you cant find them on amazon,dog fitness suppliers such as fitpaws or totofit do them, but expect to pay a premium

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »
A PT once told me that we should squat instead of sit, most of the time. :)

Offline ls99

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 09:08:17 PM »
For a different angle. I hate excercises for their own sake, boring!!!!!

My routine is twice a week at the Y in a basketball court which has open time and gym mats, I lay out one mat.
Having done Jujutsu on and off for forty years, I do the warmups. They include toe, knee, shoulder, neck, arm and head rotations.  Then onto basic stepping routines, mimicking throws, and defensive arm and footwork.
On to punches and blocks. Then continue with ballett plies of a few varieties.   Moving along, do a dozen or two falling techniques.

Follow up with standard forms of the system. 20 or 30 of them depending on my mood. Intensly concentrating on proper tachnique as if there was an actual opponent.

The point being that all of the above visualizes an opponent.  Takes 45 minutes or so. Unfortunately the nearest dojo with anything similar to my system is hours away thus have not had sparring partner in years.  Then hit the sauna for a 20 minute nap.  Often after this go have breakfest, then drive 40 minutes to the rink for an hour or two of playing on the ice.  This routine I have followed for the last six or so years.

I also do a lot of lumberjacking, hauling logs and splitting wood at my camp, hiking up and down steep trails, trail ride on 4 wheeler etc.  All of this has kept me in shape, floating between 168 to 174 lb, although I have lost some height, was 5'9" now 5'8"

Again my point is to do stuff with a purpose other than excercising. I my case continuing the art of defense, counterattack, and countering the counter.   Many of jujutsu moves I have modified to be able to perform on the ice wearing skates and make them look like continuous dance moves, to avoid looking agressive or that I am shadow boxing.    Several instructors suggested I perform in their shows, none of wich I took up. I skate for my private pleasure.

YMMV

Mind you I am 68 and 9/10s year old at this writing, and retired.
There must be moderation in everything. Including moderation.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 08:57:29 PM »
I take an entire week off from skating, due to an injury.  I haven't stretched since Nov. 11th when I passed my Silver Moves.  Guess what I just did?  A full split!   Where did that come from?!?  I didn't have that on Nov. 11th.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 08:15:55 AM »
I take an entire week off from skating, due to an injury.  I haven't stretched since Nov. 11th when I passed my Silver Moves.  Guess what I just did?  A full split!   Where did that come from?!?  I didn't have that on Nov. 11th.

Wow. I couldn't do that even without an injury, haha!