You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Chicago rinks recommendations?  (Read 5006 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Chicago rinks recommendations?
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:34:47 AM »
I'll be going to Chicago sometime in May, and I'm thinking of skating there. Any recommendations? Reviews? Thanks!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Chicago rinks recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:24:34 AM »
I understand that rinks litter the ground in Chicago like the leaves in autumn.

There are so many skate shops in Chicago that a well recognized skate sharpening program won't teach anyone in Chicago because there's too many.

I've never been to any, but I understand Robert C. Crown is huge and adventurous.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 06:30:14 AM »
Where in Chicago are you going?  Will you have a car, or will you be dependent on public transportation?  There are a lot of rinks in the suburbs, but I think McFetridge is the only one actually in the city.  Robert Crown is in Evanston, for instance.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 06:38:09 AM »
I understand that rinks litter the ground in Chicago like the leaves in autumn.

There are so many skate shops in Chicago that a well recognized skate sharpening program won't teach anyone in Chicago because there's too many.

I've never been to any, but I understand Robert C. Crown is huge and adventurous.

False on all three points.  Clarice is correct that McFetridge is the only indoor facility in the city, and it it not reachable by train.  The only skate shop is Rainbo, and it came out of bankruptcy recently.  Crown is not huge (unless you were referring to the holes in the wall) it has one NHL surface and one tiny surface.

Without more information about the part of Chicago, I would say McFetridge or bust.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 11:38:19 AM »
I live in the suburbs, so I can't speak for downtown but the suburbs are littered with ice rinks. I can think of ten off the top of my head within an hour's drive from our house.

Rainbo (which is in the suburbs, not downtown) is not the only skate shop. Mr. Edge at Gephettos in Downer's Grove is a very well know tech, Triple Toe in Woodridge carries a selection of skates, dresses, and accessories, and Action Fabrics in Westmont specializes in stretch fabrics, notions, and crystals for making your own dresses (very fun if you sew). A few of the rink pro shops have a decent sharpener, although you have to know who to ask for.

I feel like we're pretty lucky in terms of a plethora of options - but again, I live in the suburbs. It is not uncommon to end up on the ice practicing with an elite competitor, either.

Offline davincisop

• Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 06:18:03 PM »
I live in Florida, but spent Christmasses in Glenview for many years.

I know there is the Glenview Ice Center in Glenview, North Shore Ice Arena in Northbrook (though it looks to be strictly hockey) and Skatium Ice Arena in Skokie.
I've only skated at the Glenview Ice Center and don't remember much. But it's ice so I never complain if there's ice lol.

Rainbo is worth a visit. Went there before it went bankrupt on a trip to see my grandma three years ago. Had John there look at my blade and help fix the pronation I was having. Really nice guy. We (mom and I) left when dad got back from Kohls and dad went in to chat with him. They had a good long conversation about fishing and the Chicago Bears.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 07:53:38 PM »
Thank you everyone!

We'll be staying at a friend's house somewhere in the city (not the suburbs). If we're lucky, he may drive us around, but most likely we'll be going to the tourist areas first.

Is there any way of reaching the suburbs by public transportation? Or will that take too much time? I lived in SoCal before, and public transportation wasn't the best way to travel around...

Also, are there any rinks with bad ice? I regularly skate in a rink with bad ice, and would like to skate on smooth ice for a change.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 12:49:25 AM »
You can reach Crown in Evanston by taking Metra or Purple Line to Central Station.  Ice is usually good.

Several others are reachable if you are determined.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 01:22:22 AM »
You can reach Crown in Evanston by taking Metra or Purple Line to Central Station.  Ice is usually good.

Several others are reachable if you are determined.

That's good to know! Thank you!