You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating Log Book  (Read 2287 times)

Offline DFWMommy

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Skating Log Book
« on: May 10, 2014, 02:19:43 PM »
Does anyone here keep a skating log book to track your skating hours and such?  If so, I'd love to know what kind of information you put in it and how you organize it.  Looking to start one.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
Re: Skating Log Book
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 02:36:05 PM »
I have a practice binder that has sections for freestyle, dance and moves. Each of those gets a page or two with a list of things to work on. I also have a page that lists my warmup. The back of the binder has blank paper to make notes on. I do keep track of the hours inbetween skate sharpenings but I record that on my computer.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 05:44:52 PM »
I keep track of date, time skated, and skills worked on. I also keep a numeric count since the last sharpening.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »
I'm a geek.  I have a spreadsheet.  It has multiple pages, with the main one being the log of date/time/location (which rink), class #, instructor, and what I worked on, with additional columns for total time skated that week, cumulative time since last sharpening, and total time skated for the year.  On the other pages I have a practice list and the requirements for ISI and USFSA basic skills levels.  I'm working on another page with specific training goals (improving on my New Year's Resolutions).  Oh, and I have it stored on Dropbox so I can see my practice list from my phone at the rink.  Did I mention I'm a geek?

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 08:52:15 PM »
I took advice from Paul Wylie (at the STARS combine at Adult Nationals) and started keeping a skating diary. I just list the date, what I worked on, and what I accomplished. My coach will write in new exercises or drills as well. Paul's advice was to write down your accomplishments of the day since we need to celebrate those rather than focusing on the negative.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 09:15:47 PM »
When I was a kid, my coach gave me a duotang with elements and columns for (approx) amount of attemps and number successful in order to make sure I always had something to do.  She'd check it to make sure I wasn't being a sloth :P

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Skating Log Book
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:46:22 PM »
I've recently downloaded the app skaterbase, which I read about on here! You can log each skate with the duration, cost etc and any notes. Then it adds up your time between sharpening! You can also map programs & I think there is a metronome?

I was using Evernote and I also like the idea of a notebook. Hmm!

Offline DFWMommy

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:16:13 AM »
This is really helpful.  I'm going to work on putting something together this morning.  Thanks all. 

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 10:50:51 AM »
When I was a kid, my coach gave me a duotang with elements and columns for (approx) amount of attemps and number successful in order to make sure I always had something to do.  She'd check it to make sure I wasn't being a sloth :P

I had forgotten that my coach designed a simple spread sheet that she distributed to all her students. It has columns for dates and eight columns for individual skills. I list all my moves patterns, jumps and spins and keep track of what we work on in lesson. I use it in addition to the book I use since I specifically use it for keeping track of our private lessons.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)