You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Testing questions...  (Read 3831 times)

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
Testing questions...
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »
I've been seriously thinking of testing someday and have some questions. (I'm only still finishing up ISI Basic Skills, so it wouldn't be for quite a bit ;) )

Is it possible to test if you've only gone through ISI? It seems like USFS Basic Skills covers more things needed for MITF--I've never seen anything like waltz 8's or power 3's on the ISI levels list.

Also, how do Standard and Adult track compare and/or differ? Am I correct that Juvenile is about equivalent to Adult Track Gold?

Thanks!

ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Testing questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:42:30 AM »
Is it possible to test if you've only gone through ISI?

You can take ISI tests.  To switch to USFS, the only requirement is to pay the fees.  However, you need a coach to learn how to pass.

Also, how do Standard and Adult track compare and/or differ?

The details are all online http://usfsa.org/New_Judging.asp?id=361 but the most important difference between the two tracks is you have to be 21 to do adult.  I think the other differences are mostly arbitrary until you reach the intermediate test, at which point adult is easier.

Am I correct that Juvenile is about equivalent to Adult Track Gold?

Yes.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 06:48:55 PM »
They aren't "arbitrarily" different.  The adult MIF tests are mostly drawn from skills that adults "need" to be better skaters, especially if they are competitors.  The standard MIF are set up so that they mostly build one upon the other.  They are not "easier" once you get to Intermediate, they are the same tests, you can choose to take the test at the Masters, Adult, or Standard track standards - the requirements are the same but the power generation is lower.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:26:04 PM »
Thank you nicklaszlo and techskater!

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:37:34 AM »
the requirements are the same

Page 251 of the rulebook, intermediate moves in the field passing average:

Standard: 3.2
Adult: 3.0
Masters: 2.8

The patterns are the same, the required scores are not.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »
Judges are also given some direction about where they are supposed to see deficiencies in adults (such as a lack of power) that shouldn't otherwise cause a successfully completed move to "fail".  Judging is still of course up to the discretion of the individual judges, but I've found that a majority are very encouraging to adult skaters and they want to see you do well.  That of course varies from region to region.

The adult test track was developed to give adult skaters the opportunity to earn their USFS gold medal - in that regard it's "easier" than standard track, but only in the sense you get that final award sooner.  Senior moves may not be achievable for most adults, but adult gold certainly is.  Each adult test is actually more difficult than the corresponding standard track test because all of them include moves from higher levels.  The focus for each move is a little different than the standard track tests, making allowances for an adults inherent lack of power compared to the kids. On the flip side of that though, the adult freeskate levels are "easier" because the requirements are a little more flexible - in pre-pre for example you have a very specific list of jumps to complete, but pre-bronze lets you choose any 3 full or half jumps you want.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
Thanks, sarahspins. :)

So for someone who started skating in their late teens (me) and has a couple years until eligibility to test Adult Track, what would you recommend?

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 03:10:22 PM »
If you want to test and are under 21, start taking the standard tests now.  You can switch to adult later.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 03:26:13 PM »
If you want to test and are under 21, start taking the standard tests now.  You can switch to adult later.

This exactly :)  There's really no benefit for you right now in "waiting" to be able to test as an adult, I'd just start with standard track when you are ready.  If at some point you wish to switch to adult track, you can simply cross over and take the "next" appropriate level (if you have passed preliminary moves, for example, you could simply take silver moves next), or you can start from the beginning with pre-bronze if you wanted. 

That said, I know several adults who skated when they were younger who have simply stayed with standard track testing - there's nothing that says you have to test adult track once you are 21.  I was really torn on which way to go myself since I had passed some tests as a kid, and I opted to just test adult since I was returning from a lengthy break and it was very much like "starting over" and don't see myself continuing on to pass senior.  Intermediate is a definite possibility, but I don't see novice happening since I've been working on loops for years and I still don't have all of them.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 10:23:27 PM »
Thanks sarahspins and nicklaszlo. That makes sense. :)

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 04:38:10 PM »
Page 251 of the rulebook, intermediate moves in the field passing average:

Standard: 3.2
Adult: 3.0
Masters: 2.8

The patterns are the same, the required scores are not.
They ARE the same, the difference being that for Masters or Adult level (as I stated in the REST of the sentence which you conveniently ignored in your quote), the expectation of power generation is different between standard, adult and masters.  You still MUST do the moves correctly, the focus on edge quality and quickness (for those moves with quickness or edge quality focii) remains the same.