You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Should I Get Dance Blades?  (Read 7739 times)

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
Should I Get Dance Blades?
« on: August 29, 2010, 09:43:59 PM »
I'm looking to get new boots soon (I hope!) and new blades and I'm super excited!! I do some freestyle and I don't want to quit doing that, but the more dance I do the more I really really like it. I'm working on pre-bronze and learning some bronze patterns. I want to keep these skates for a few years like 3 if I can do it and I hopefully will be more advanced in dance then. Is it too early to get dance blades now? Like Coronation Dance or Ulitma Syncho? Or are they pretty much the same as their freestyle counter parts just with a shorter heel? Also can I jump in the Coronation Dance? I do not have a partner, but I do partnering with my coach. Do I need anything special to do dance or is it just a "status" type of thing for lower level dancers?

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
Re: Should I Get Dance Blades?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 09:49:11 PM »
This is only my opinion, but I think that dance blades start to help a bit at bronze w/ the Ten-Fox mohawk (can't accidentally step on the tail), but it's not really that big a deal until later, like pre-silver/silver that the dance blades really start to help you.

Some people go all the way through gold on freestyle blades, so it's never a necessity, but IMO the shorter blade does make a difference.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 10:00:53 PM »
What kind of a difference do they make? are they easier to do edge stuff on? I'm currently using Ulitma Mirages and they are a pretty low level blade so I think anything will be a big jump from where I'm at but I'm curious about the benefit of using them.

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 10:28:06 PM »
When I made the switch I found turns much easier. More maneuverable, I guess. Plus, because of the short backs you can tuck your feet as tight as you want & never step on the blade.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:50:26 PM »
(
It makes a total difference in the "not stepping on your blade" category. 

But after that it is a matter of personal preference - some people like them and other people hate them.  Some skaters cannot get used to that shorter feel.

As far as freestyle goes that is also a matter of personal preference.  I think you need to look at the toe-picks and determine whether they will work for you.  I currently skate in the MK Dance (the thin ones) and cannot do any freestyle in them because the picks are really smooth, small and not very "picky"and for some reason the sweet spot is not in the right place for me to spin.  I have had other dance blades (Super Dance 99 and Wilson Dance (not made anymore) that had better picks and more appropriate sweet spot for me to spin and jump.  It really depends on what you want to do.

Good luck.  I have heard the Synchro blades are good because they are short but not quite as short as dance blades and the picks, etc., will allow you to do some jumps and spins - and they are a lot cheaper than most dance blades.

Let us know how it goes.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 11:26:22 PM »
I'm on my Bronze dances, and using Ultima synchro blades.  My coach said they were plenty good enough, and they were a lot cheaper than dance blades.  I only do single jumps, and they work great for that, but I've heard you can do through doubles on them.  Having spent over a year on them now, I can't imagine how I did my Gold MIF test on my old freestyle blades.  That toe pick feels so huge to me now, and the long tail is positively scary!

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 01:06:09 AM »
Pattern 99s have worked very well for me for both FS and dance. The tails are shorter than most FS blades and they have good toepicks.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Coronation Aces are great for FS levels through all single jumps and lower doubles (I believe people have used them for all doubles, too), plus they have a shorter tail.

I also found that the Aces really helped my edges and turns, and they have a VERY long sharpening life (upwards of 60 hours.. probably close to 100?)  :o

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 12:45:36 PM »
Personally, I love my dance blades. However, I have them on an old pair of skates that are nicely broken down and perfect for dance. I cannot and will not do freestlye in those boots, and I wouldn't be comfortable jumping in the blades.

I have Phantoms on  my freestyle boots and when I can't change skates I dance in them (working pre-silver/silver) and they're perfectly fine for dance. I just prefer the shorter tail when I'm partnering.

Offline MrBean

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 04:32:17 PM »
What kind of a difference do they make? are they easier to do edge stuff on? I'm currently using Ulitma Mirages and they are a pretty low level blade so I think anything will be a big jump from where I'm at but I'm curious about the benefit of using them.

I've just had Coronation Dance for around three weeks now and do free on Coronation Ace.  The Dance feel very free running and "slippery" by comparison - and I like it!  I expected to be more unstable and it's undeniable that the Aces are much firmer-feeling, but I'm liking the Dance the more I use them. More manoeuvrable and free feeling. They were a second choice to MK Dance which are so very popular. It just happened that an almost new pair came up on Ebay for relative peanuts so they're mine!

I wouldn't use them for free though as landing jumps might be a helluvan ask!

Just in case I picked up the thought from your question that it may be a compromise to cut down the tail of the Aces?  It is a different distribution of the rocker and a friend who did that regretted it afterwards. (I'd considered it too...)

Offline minty

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 05:11:20 PM »
I've just had Coronation Dance for around three weeks now and do free on Coronation Ace.  The Dance feel very free running and "slippery" by comparison  (...)

I've been told in the past that Coronation Dance are simply Coronation Aces with the tails cut off - same rocker, same width (and radius), and same picks.  I've never seen the blades together to compare though - in what ways do they look different to you?

FWIW, I'm on MK Dance, which are slim with squared-off picks. Compared to my old MK Pro FS blades (same rocker, different blade width and radius) it is like having power steering - faster in general, and quicker and easier to change edge.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 08:22:38 PM »

Just in case I picked up the thought from your question that it may be a compromise to cut down the tail of the Aces?  It is a different distribution of the rocker and a friend who did that regretted it afterwards. (I'd considered it too...)

Why did your friend regret this move? My first pair of dance blades were called "Wilson Dance" - I loved them but got to the point where I couldn't sharpen them anymore... then they were discontinued.  I asked the Wilson rep about them and he said, "Those blades were the Majestic with the backs cut off."  I loved those blades and have considered getting a pair of Majestics and cutting the backs off... but I guess I have better things to do with my time!!

Loved those blades though.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »
Where would you even get the backs cut off of a blade? I would not cut the backs off of my blades or buy a blade to cut the backs off of haha. I'm not sure if I even need the blades. Some days I love free and dance is just ok Sometimes I want to drop my free lessons and take an extra dance lessons, I know I never would, its just an example of my changing level of enthusiasum. I'm only pre bronze so I don't feel like its anything I need yet. I'm just not sure how long it will take to get to pre-silver/silver.

Offline sk8

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 02:51:04 PM »
Does anyone know what the difference between Cornation Ace and Cornation Comet is?  I know the Cornation Comet has a bigger rocker - I have the Cornation Ace right now but am having a lot of trouble with my back spin entrances... it just takes forever to hit the pick on them and sometimes I never hit it and do a 3-turn to start spinning?
I just got new skates and will probably get new blades soon -- does anyone know if I should stick with the Cornation Ace or switch the the Cornation Comet?
Thanks!