You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Signed up for ballet today, at a real dance school  (Read 7695 times)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Signed up for ballet today, at a real dance school
« on: November 08, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »
After 45 years of living, I've never taken a ballet class.  Never, ever.   Always wanted to do it, but just never have.  So, the local company has an adult beginner ballet class on Tuesday & Thursday.  At $15 a class (or $100 a month, unlimited ballet classes...they have "ballet fit" and evening classes too).  The ballet school is about 3 miles from my house.  I hope to survive Tuesday and then skate afterwards.  I wonder if I will be sore afterwards?  My hopes are to learn hand, arms, extension, and spirals...so I can be a graceful old lady.  I met one of the owners, and he knew I was a skater (had my practice dress & tights on, just after skating today).   Seemed nice, not a torturer, per se.  Looks can be deceiving.  Anyone else dared step into a real dance school?  How was it?

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
Re: Signed up for ballet today, at a real dance school
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »
I take an adult ballet class at a serious (pre-professional program) dance school. It's a once a week 75min class and costs me about $12 per class. I love it - it's not a "recital" school, the students are there to learn how to dance, not to learn competition or show numbers. Not gonna lie, it is hard! I am almost always sore afterwards. The dress code is relaxed for the adult class - I usually wear a tank leotard, black capris and ballet slippers. I can't stand dance tights (don't mind skating tights though!).

It really helps me with my hand/arm awareness. I don't know that it has improved my spirals per say, dance attitudes and arabesques are very different then spirals. It is a great workout though and I highly recommend serious dance schools over "ballet for skaters".

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:10:54 PM »
Well neverdull44, I took my first ballet lesson at 38  :)
I take a private formal ballet lesson 1 hour a week.  You will be sore! The next day is the worst, but it is so worth it! Caraskates is right, so much of classical ballet is quite different than skating. But even though the positions themselves are different, I think the body control, flexibility, and understanding of dance theory is very helpful even for a recreational skater. I know the muscles I've been developing since beginning ballet have really made a difference on the ice. You will really find the muscles around the knees strengthening, at least I did. My teacher alternates each week between barre and center work plus stretching every week.

Have been doing single pirouettes both ways (I forget the french term, away from and toward the supportive leg?) and I'm thinking it is easier to spin on skates than to pirouette in slippers... :-\  on a side note I pirouette far better on my left leg than my right, and I'm a leftie skater, connection?

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 01:47:41 PM »
My class is at the most serious dance school here in town.  This school mainly does ballet, and has one jazz class.    As a skater, I know I am very imbalanced. I spin counterclockwise, so spinning clockwise is something I have to really think of.   I think dancers call spins, "turns."  So, I know I will have to watch my language.  Turns, spirals, spins, arabesques.  Looking forward to it on Tuesday!  My class is 60 minutes. I can do anything for 1:40.  LOL.

Offline ONskater74

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »
pirouettes are spins.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »
Have been doing single pirouettes both ways (I forget the french term, away from and toward the supportive leg?) and I'm thinking it is easier to spin on skates than to pirouette in slippers... :-\  on a side note I pirouette far better on my left leg than my right, and I'm a leftie skater, connection?

en dedan and en dehor.

If you are standing on your left leg, then turning CW is en dehor, and CCW is en dedans.  (This is usually called a "right" turn, as you pick your right leg up; the en dedan turn is sometimes called "right inside" because you turn into your body instead of away from it. But I've never heard en dehor called outside, I think it is the default, with en dedan being the less common one).   I would say a "right en dehor" pirouette is the most common turn done by dancers.

For left turns (picking up the left leg, standing on the right) it is the opposite- en dehor is CCW, en dedans is CW.  The way we were taught to remember is "en dehor, out the door"- so you turn away from your body.

Without a doubt, this is why I am a "leftie" skater.  I was a poorly trained dancer- a good ballet school will have you do everything on both sides equally.  A competition school is more focused on making sure you can do everything in the choreography. So I probably did 100 right en dehor pirouettes for every 5 I did left.  My turning (not spinning- dancers don't spin) direction was incredibly entrenched my the time I made it to skating.  Nothing was going to change that I was a clockwise turner. 

Offline CaraSkates

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 08:39:09 PM »
en dedan and en dehor.

If you are standing on your left leg, then turning CW is en dehor, and CCW is en dedans.  (This is usually called a "right" turn, as you pick your right leg up; the en dedan turn is sometimes called "right inside" because you turn into your body instead of away from it. But I've never heard en dehor called outside, I think it is the default, with en dedan being the less common one).   I would say a "right en dehor" pirouette is the most common turn done by dancers.

For left turns (picking up the left leg, standing on the right) it is the opposite- en dehor is CCW, en dedans is CW.  The way we were taught to remember is "en dehor, out the door"- so you turn away from your body.

Without a doubt, this is why I am a "leftie" skater.  I was a poorly trained dancer- a good ballet school will have you do everything on both sides equally.  A competition school is more focused on making sure you can do everything in the choreography. So I probably did 100 right en dehor pirouettes for every 5 I did left.  My turning (not spinning- dancers don't spin) direction was incredibly entrenched my the time I made it to skating.  Nothing was going to change that I was a clockwise turner.

I always think of turns as "backspin" and "scratch spin" - so a left en dehor turn is my "backspin" (I am a CCW skater). That is my strongest turn and the only one I can consistently do doubles on! I still struggle with remembering which is which - and I am always forgetting to spot on any CW turns.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »
Backspin and scratch spin work for your spin direction, but dancers have to turn both ways :)

My right en dehor pirouette is better than my backspin (I skate cw). I can still do a triple :)

Offline CaraSkates

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 09:11:59 PM »
Backspin and scratch spin work for your spin direction, but dancers have to turn both ways :)

My right en dehor pirouette is better than my backspin (I skate cw). I can still do a triple :)

Oh yes, my teacher would never let me get away with turning only one direction! We do everything equally. I just think of backspin/scratch spin reversed when we do CW turns.

Offline ONskater74

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 10:35:54 PM »
Spent half the lesson tonight jumping like a handful of popcorn :o
Went from releve and pirouette to changement from fifth... plie then spring stright up pointing as you do then change your feet and land in a plie. Then she had me plie in fifth, spring up, point, change feet and back again in midair then land and plie...I forget what that was called.  My legs are trembling and rubbery... half hour of popcorn jumping :o :P

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 11:05:23 PM »
Then she had me plie in fifth, spring up, point, change feet and back again in midair then land and plie...I forget what that was called. 

Sounds like you're describing an entrechat-quatre.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline ONskater74

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 08:38:13 AM »
Hi neverdull, your lesson is tonight? Eh? :P
I would recommend you spend a half an hour or so prior to, before leaving home, stretching and warming up. I have a hot shower then get dressed in what I'll wear to the lesson. Then I spend 20-30 minutes warming up and really stretching so that I'm as ready as I can be. Then I throw on some warm pants and a coat over me so I stay warm and head out. I find even after a 40 minute drive I'm still benefitting from the advance warmup. Once I arrive I leave my warmies on and begin stretching again in the hallway until I'm called in, then I slip the outerwear off and I'm ready to go.
Stretch and stretch. especially the feet so you don't cramp when pointing.
Have fun. :)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »
I had my first lesson!

I hurt my lower back/right hip last week , so I did alot of cat stretches & spinal twists before class.  I was 30% sore going into the class (skated competition yesterday, making me a little sore afterwards).  I was the chunkiest person in the room!  There was a dance instructor, an elderly lady taking her 2nd class ever, two gifted ballet adults (20s, I'd say), a lady probably in her 60s with alot of ballet, and me.

We did about 20 minutes on the bar.  Plies, grand plies, routoundants, arabesques, bending backwards, bending around in all directions, attitudes, kicking at 12, 3, and 6 o'clock, sideways, standing on my tippie toes and then letting go of the bar, the whole eclair (pardon my bad ballet spellings).  I made it through that part.  I could do the leg pull (holding leg up to side with hand, and even stretching it straight) which some of the others couldn't do as high!  (So, I was a little proud).  But, spirals are different then arabesques.   I had to use the lower bar for those. 

Then, we left the comfort of the bar to do stretching.  We each did our own thing.  The great thing is that I wasn't sore anymore. 

Next, we did "floor work".  This was doing alot of the same things, but without the bar.  That was hard on grand plie, I almost fell over!  Skating boots help alot with balance.  Then, we did across floor work (diagonal footwork).  Footwork across the floor, with jumps at the end.  There was a ballet jump, a version of falling leaf, and split jump (not Russian split).  I made it through, though no where near as graceful as the other dancers.  We did it as a group, so it felt like we were in ballet chorus.   I didn't follow my hands with the eyes, etc.  Plus, It take more strength to jump in ballet because you don't have momentum.  And split jumps are not assisted with the toe pick to catapult you.  We did Jete and Pas de Chat, which I did alot better in one direction then the next. 

Then, we did diagonal footwork with turns at the end.  I don't know what it was called in ballet, but we did a forward spin with our leg coming to Yoga tree position, in both directions.  At first, I was doing it like a scratch spin, with 3+ revolutios.  So, I had to learn to open to the side and then come to the knee.  Arms are to a side, but in an open position, and then come to center open.   Similar principles, but you stop the spin in third position (feet crossed in front of you).  I want to either exit the spin or do a show stop (i.e. just pick it with the toe pick).  So, ending the turn was very different.  By putting our foot out to the side to step out of a spin, we are greatly altering our axis center.   But, maybe balet will help me from popping out of my jumps or "two footing" them as I get more used to a true one-sided axis.  The instructor also wanted me really over my turning leg axis.  All skaters sit a little on our inside edge to do a forward spin.

Overall, I was never out of breath.  In skating my program, I am at my upper limit.   I was never in any pain or doing anything uncomfortable.  I am not sore (we'll see tomorrow).  So, I am proud that I appear fit enough to do that "beginner" ballet clss.

I can't wait until the next class.  For me, that will be Tuesday because I have another appointment on Thursday.  I recommend ballet, even for adults.

The instructor used to teach in Sun Valley and get skaters from there, of course.  So, she knew what to do with me!   LOL.   She told me that I might feel like I am "stuck" in a dance class as alot of the time is spent in one place, whereas ice skating is like flying.   She tried skating one time, but was afraid of the speeds.  She said her one leg almost went out from under her in a split. 

Oh, this is South Florida.  The room was hot, 85 degrees outside.  (Aren't you jealous if you are getting cold & snow this weekend/)  I sweated like a pig.  But, I even sweat on the ice.  Always been a heavy sweater.  Now, at 45 and with hot flashes . . . . the heat is on!

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »
"Then she had me plie in fifth, spring up, point, change feet and back again in midair then land and plie."

We were doing something like that.  It was like cross your feet completely (that's 5th), jump quickly, land with the feet opposite crossed, do that about 4 times quickly, land with the feet in a small spread eagle (second, but on the balls of the feet, I think), jump back to the crossed position.  But, the number of times kept changing.  So, I was out of synch with everyone else.  At first, I was doing small split jumps, never landing on the floor for the open first position.   That was really funny.  Every time I tried to land, I wouldn't.  I'd land with my feet crossed, after doing the small split jump.  So, then I figured it out.  I didn't feel stupid because she had a hard pattern to remember.  It wasn't 4, 1, 4, 1, 4, 1.... The numbers kept changing.  So, I was a step behind and totally out of synch.  It was really funny.  You have to have a sense of humor in ballet class. 

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »
Day after report:  Moderately sore quadraceps.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »
All this ballet talk is making me want to take up ballet again.

But I never regained full plantar flexion in the ankle I broke, though, so I'm not sure if I could actually do relevés on my left foot  :nvm:
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline ONskater74

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 04:31:17 PM »
I'm surprised you were doing all that jumping at the first lesson... You must be a natural. my teacher spent the first month with me just working on turnout, flex, posture, positions, terms, mostly at the barre, some gentle center work. I've only been jumping for a week and pirouetting for 3 weeks, and I started in mid Sept. I guess I'm slow :P

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 04:35:47 PM »
I am not a gifted jumper by any means!  I can 'do' a sort of split jump, but I am no where near 180'.  Probably more like a 'v' (but upside down).....  With skates on, I don't do them currently.   A new challenge!

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »
Today's ballet class was a testamony to quick feet.  Petit Bettement is super hard when you get faster.  Keeping the upper thigh from moving one of the world's greatest challenges of body control.    Frappe too!  Frappe was first slow, then faster.   I think these are great for jumping, where you have to quickly bring in your feet.

Petit Battement

Frappe

Then, for floor we did this thing called a Waltz.  It was ALOT of fun.  This could work into something for skating footwork!

Offline ONskater74

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 05:28:37 PM »
Unless I'm on demi pointe I'm made to physically strike the floor  for frappe. Ballet is really its own world for sure. I liked his comment re separating the arm and shoulder from what the leg is doing and to not overdoing it thinking that speed means strength. I really struggle with frappe, all instructors seem to like hi speed  :o

Offline ONskater74

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 09:15:53 PM »
I'm with Caraskates comment above re: taking a traditional REAL ballet class, not some cobbled up bits of this and that supposedly to suit a particular niche.

For me it has helped me immensely in only 3 months of lessons. The whole body focus is incredible. I will also say that for a mature man it is good for improving flexibility, it forces you to sometimes painfully push your boundaries and then you can push them a bit more and a little more after that, until you realise you are stretching WAY beyond anything you could have achieved any other way.

Also for muscle development it can't be beat. In ballet you have to use every single little muscle ligament and tendon along the way. My knees, calves, ankles, feet, thighs, hips, are really supple and a lot stronger, especially around the knees. Also, for a skinny guy it does wonders for your glutes... :) Skating helps, but all that barre work reaching to derriere really starts making things pop, so to speak. :blush:

The muscles don;t develop short and hard, but long and limber. So you are strong, but not hulky. I'm not looking to be hulky, so that suits me just fine. The edge control that comes from increased lower leg strength is great. For a figure skater I think classical ballet is the ultimate cross-training workout.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 07:29:23 PM »
I'm still with the adult ballet class.  After 4 lessons, I am feeling my back limber up.  Definitely, finding balance in ballet shoes is harder then in skating boots.  I surprised myself with a split jump.  I can actually do those alot better without figure skates.  Ballet teacher had me push off/jump with both legs going into the split jump.   Ballet teacher also corrected me on my shoulders.  I hunch upwards, so I am learning to engage my shoulder blades more when putting both arms over my head.  Despite having a group class, my ballet teacher sees everything.  I think she either has eyes in the back of her head or is a former figure skating judge.   

Offline KateSkates

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 08:11:57 PM »
Glad you are still enjoying the class. I miss ballet, I left when I pulled my hamstring trying to keep up with the kids in my level two class at a serious dance school.