You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Is your rink putting on a holiday show this year?  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
Is your rink putting on a holiday show this year?
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:39:10 AM »
Mine is, and I've put my name down. I'm very, very excited, already! Today coach asked me which I'd prefer, to be in a group freestyle number, or a group dance number. We had a talk, as I was a bit unsure (I'd love either, to be honest!) and we agreed I'd be in the dance group - my freestyle moves are slowly progressing, but I wouldn't be happy to go out and perform with them as they are, whereas my dance skills are a bit sharper.

I'm still in LTS, but as our rink is new, and very friendly, EVERYONE can be involved - we even have a couple of people who skate on hockey skates interested, apparently. Anyway, first meeting is October 2nd, when we'll get more info.

I'm really excited, but don't know what to expect - apparently I'll be in the opening number, our dance number, and the closing number. So I'll have 3 routines to learn, in 2 months...

Oh boy...
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
Re: Is your rink putting on a holiday show this year?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »
We'll start ours in the next LTS cycle, so either late October or early November. I am committing to the point I find out if I need surgery and whether or not it will interfere with the performance.  If we can schedule it after, I'm in.  If we can't, I'm out.  Although we adults have already picked our music and talked about dresses.  I hate to miss out because of surgery.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 07:26:54 PM »
My coach wanted me to skate to "If I could only shimmy like my sister Kate.", for our christmas show, but I don't think I'll be on the ice until mid october. Stupid shingles.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »
Mine is... and it's the same weekend we're doing a holiday thing with my inlaws.  So no holiday sparkles and spandex for me.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 11:58:58 PM »
None of the rinks I skate at have a Holiday show/exhibition.   :(

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 01:11:01 AM »
Ours is, and anyone is LTS is encouraged to participate.. though I must admit that this year I'm a a little bit disappointed as it takes the place of our normal full-ice specialty class instead of just running alongside LTS, so that will be gone until after the holidays.

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:06:39 PM »
Yes, my DD is excited about skating.  I haven't thought about it much yet.  Not sure-that is one of my super busy times of year at work.

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »
I'm sure every rink I skate at is having a holiday show.  Unfortunately, none of them allow adults.  Well, I should say, they do not encourage adults to participate (other than helping out).  If you insist, you're told that the program is full, but you can try next year.  And then the cycle continues... :nvm:
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 05:49:00 AM »
We had our first rehearsal on Wednesday. I'm in the big opening number and the adult dance number. It was hard work, a little crazy, but great fun. Roll on the next rehearsal - can't believe we perform in 7 weeks!
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »
More sparkly dresses than normal, santa hats, and giant plastic candy canes have been seen on empty mid-week publics.
My rink likes adults to participate. There's a lot of adults with an axel, and a lot of adult dancers. The only dance coach at the rink  must be minting money.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/