You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: More tights questions  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Kat

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 19
More tights questions
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »
Right, so y'all are like, "would this chick stop with the obsession over warm legs already?"  Alas, no.  It's not that I'm entirely unhappy with what I currently wear...I'd just rather not have to use layers, so it'd be nice to have something specifically designed for cold weather.

Has anyone ever tried the UnderArmour ColdGear Evo tights?  (They happen to be what my local REI carries:http://www.rei.com/product/801807)  How do they compare to the other ColdGear tights, like the Frosty tights everyone here likes?  (I admit I don't know the difference between all the types of ColdGear tights, and even the UA website doesn't tell what the difference is between all the kinds...but there must be a difference or they wouldn't sell like 4 different models of ColdGear tights,  But I don't even see the Evo tights on UA's site.  Capris, yes [who wears capris in ColdGear???  Are you cold or not???].  Tights, no.  And yes, I'm sure there are tights as well as capris, because while I thought them short when I held them up to me, they fit fine when I had them on, and my legs are short but not THAT short!)

i tried on a pair tonight, but they just don't seem very thick (the thickness seemed like any other pair of running tights would be, rather than what I might expect for cold weather), and without taking them into the cold, I haven't a clue how well they'll serve me (and it's a lot to spend on something that might not keep me warm!).

Alternately, I tried on a pair of REI's Activestretch tights, and they seemed thicker and had a brushed fleece-like lining.  THOSE I could see keeping me warm, but I could be wrong; maybe Underarmour has some sort of fantastic technology I don't know about that makes their stuff just as warm.  http://www.rei.com/product/801219  I can get these for $64.50.

(I'm thinking along REI lines because I have a 20% off coupon so that'll ease the pain a bit, and because being able to get it locally rather than paying shipping makes for a happy Kat)
"The only thing you have to be afraid of is to not fly."

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: More tights questions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:34:38 PM »
Capris are useful for when you want to put knee pads on. At least that's what I use them for.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Kat

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
Oh, that makes sense.  Although in that case, you would be wearing them to hold the knee pads under another pair of pants, right?  So the ColdGear still wouldn't be necessary as you'd have two layers.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »
I don't appear to be of the same generation as you so I go for a less shape revealing solution. I just use an old pair of stretch capris from aerobics, tuck my skating safe knee pads in, and then pull on a pair of full length loose trousers over it. If I was younger and much, much slimmer, I'd just wear tight pants and wouldn't need the second layer. If you want to avoid that second layer, then yes the capris are kind of a waste.

If however, you do find you ever want to wear a pair of capris under your tights either for warmth or knee/hip/tailbone pad retention, I'd suggest giving Spanx a look.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Kat

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 06:56:18 PM »
Ah, I get it.  I wear tighter pants because of everyone's horror stories about catching blades!  It's not like I backspin, but still it makes me nervous!

I still am in a lot of confusion about the UnderArmour tights.  My local Dunham's carries them, but while I can see they have at least two or three different types of ColdGear tights, the tags on the tights don't actually say which model they are...they just say "ColdGear."  Which is not helpful at all when trying to decide which kind to get!  The ones at REI definitely said which tights they were, though.  Very weird.  I might end up having to call UnderArmour and simply ask.