You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Competing without a coach present  (Read 10020 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Competing without a coach present
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 11:35:24 AM »
I also think that the timing of the return call was a coincidence.  During June and July, the clubs have meetings to go over the information and guidelines issued by the USFSA.  The USFSA has issued guidelines and held online conferences/training to roll out this initiative over the last month since the new membership year just started in July.  (Which reminds me - make sure your daughter's membership for 2013-14 is renewed ASAP.)

At this club, they no doubt met to discuss the upcoming competition and the new SafeSport coordinator explained the rules to the competition director.  In May, our brand-new competition director was unaware of this rule and another club's director brought it to the Club's attention.  The director had to scramble to comply because our club has NEVER credentialed coaches for competitions.  It was a learning experience. 

This "registered coaches only" issue has come to head over the past few weeks with the training for the new SafeSport initiative - it really drives home the point that clubs have to start enforcing the rules about who can be in the coaches' areas during tests and competitions.  The brand-new SafeSport Chairpeople were told that it is THEIR responsibility to verify coaches' compliance and have ice monitors police the coaching area for credentials.  It's likely that the SafeSport person corrected the competition chair.

Several coaches and board members have said the same thing about the timing of the return call.  Don't assume the coach is maneuvering against you.  That said, it sounds like you don't care for the coach's style because you've painted her to be a controlling, manipulative shrew.  I think you're being unfair, but it's probably best if you change coaches since you distrust her so much.  You should talk with the coach and tell her why you want another coach for your daughter, then approach someone else to do a few trial lessons.

As for the other parent ignoring the jump coach in favor of hiring a stranger to save a few dollars, be an adult.  Ask the jump coach what the cost would be and discuss what you've budgeted for this fun competition.  It sounds like you're going off half-cocked and making assumptions that may not be accurate.  By the time you pay for an intro lesson/coaching presence , you'll probably be paying $30-40 for a stranger to put your daughter on the ice.  If the jump coach, who knows your DD, can do it for about the same cost, you're slighting the jump coach. 

Amazing that these scenarios are coming up at the Basic Skills levels.  What drama will unfold if your skaters go beyond the basic skills level of skating?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 11:47:43 AM »
I'm aware that the USFS has rules about who is allowed rinkside, but in this case the director had personally told me it would be OK for me to accompany my DD and put her on the ice.  Then, shortly after me relaying that to our coach, she changed her stance.  Perhaps she had received a reminder letter from the USFS and that's what spurred her call, but the timing was really strange.  In addition, the director knew I had hired a local coach for the event and wasn't planning to be enter the competitors' area (she helped me arrange it), but felt compelled to call and let me know about the "misinformation" anyway.  The whole thing was just weird.

We watch too much TV. Sometimes an error is just that!  :)

I think it is rather nice to take the time and set things straight. Shows attention to detail and a good bit of integrity instead of leading you to believe false information they had passed along.

But it seems like you are set for your adventure!
let us know how it turns out!

:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline ~Twinkies~

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 03:21:55 PM »
It's entirely possible that the timing was just a fluke.  Thank you for educating me on the new push for SafeSport and how that could have been the reason the club director took the time to make sure I had the right information.

I really think my view is just skewed against my DDs coach right now and I'm probably assuming the worst of her.  She seems to be discouraging her instead of encouraging her and I guess I expect the opposite.  I'm disappointed that when my DD wants to stretch herself, that her coach is not cheering her on, but instead making her doubt in her abilities.  I've contacted another rink that is slightly further from home but has a more diverse figure skating program and am set to speak with the director next week.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 03:38:46 PM »
Twinkie, I think it is time for your daughter to switch coaches.  Sounds like it isn't a positive relationship with your current coach.  I hope you able to find someone like at this new rink.

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 03:47:30 PM »
Twinkie, I think it is time for your daughter to switch coaches.  Sounds like it isn't a positive relationship with your current coach.  I hope you able to find someone like at this new rink.

yes.

Offline ~Twinkies~

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2013, 09:17:39 PM »
An update- my DD skated in the away competition without her coach present.  I had hired a local coach to assist her rinkside and the coach we worked with was super nice and spent lots of time giving DD pointers.  She went over the schedule and where she should be when (time dressed, time stretched, time to put on skates, time for on ice warm-up) and about how to adjust the landmarks she used in her program to the new rink and tended to her entrance onto the ice.  She skated beautifully and the coach complimented her afterwards, then attended the awards ceremony to congratulate her on her silver medal.  Overall it was a great day and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

We have since changed rinks and are using a new coach.  The transformation in both her skating and her attitude is startling and tells me I should have changed sooner.  Live and learn.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2013, 02:30:28 AM »
Congratulations to her.
It's nice that the local coach spent so much time with her. A true professional, which gave you all a wonderful experience.
Sounds like after all the stress it's all worked out for the best.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »
I understand the safety issues, but it's always a shame when a very few bad eggs can mess things up for everyone else. Sigh.

Could a child enter the skater's area without an accompanying adult? (Not an ideal solution for a particularly emotional child, but plausible in some other cases.)

Also, do they need a coach present to sign in at a Basic Skills competition?

Could a single designated coach, like the figure skating director herself/himself, nominally act as coach to all otherwise unaccompanied skaters for registration purposes?

It isn't really plausible for Basic Skills students, many of whom just pay $5-$15 / week to  take group lessons, to pay the out-of-town costs of a private coach, or maybe even the in-town costs of local coach. They'd likely have to pay more (though $1000 sounds extreme) than the costs of all their lessons and gear.

I hope this doesn't adversely affect our free charity-funded program. We don't have much money to spend. If it does, maybe the PTB would decide to go with ISI - unless they have the same rules.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »
The "registered coaches only" rule is supposed to be enforced at all 2013-14 US Figure Skating events, which include Basic Skills.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 02:44:55 PM »
An update- my DD skated in the away competition without her coach present.  I had hired a local coach to assist her rinkside and the coach we worked with was super nice and spent lots of time giving DD pointers.  She went over the schedule and where she should be when (time dressed, time stretched, time to put on skates, time for on ice warm-up) and about how to adjust the landmarks she used in her program to the new rink and tended to her entrance onto the ice.  She skated beautifully and the coach complimented her afterwards, then attended the awards ceremony to congratulate her on her silver medal.  Overall it was a great day and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

We have since changed rinks and are using a new coach.  The transformation in both her skating and her attitude is startling and tells me I should have changed sooner.  Live and learn.

Good to hear!
 :stars: :toppts:

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 05:25:27 PM »
Wonderful.  Glad she is happy at her new rink.