You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: First Freestyle session - kinda nervous!  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
First Freestyle session - kinda nervous!
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:21:50 AM »
So, on Monday night my coach is going to run a beginner dance group, that I'll be attending. I'm going to be at the rink early and she's always said, even from the beginning, I'm welcome on freestyle/patch ice. I need to practice a few things, and so am going to skate the session before dance group, but I'm a little nervous!

I know all the ice etiquette, about not getting in people's way etc but our rink is new (opened last October) and tiny and I've never been on a freestyle at any other rink, whereas a lot of other skaters have. I don't really know what to expect, and am a bit self conscious as I'm only working on back 1 foot glides, forward outside 3's and things like that, whereas I think a lot of the skaters who go to that session will be younger kids who re all jumping/spinning etc.

So come and share your first freestyle experiences with me, and reassure me that it won't be that scary!
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline pompeiii

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: First Freestyle session - kinda nervous!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 02:39:39 PM »
Well, I went to my first freestyle session last week so I completely understand how you feel! I was in a lesson the whole time which made it easier, but it was still a nerve wracking situation! That said, I survived and while my skills are A LOT lower than most on the "low level" freestyle session, I wasn't as out of place as I expected. I don't feel ready to practice on my own yet during freestyle (though I think I technically can), I hope after a few weeks, I'll feel comfortable on my own. Right now, I'm taking a lesson for the entire session, but financially I'm not going to be able to keep that up forever. If I can get to the point where I can split the session, I'll be much happier.

Anyway, no real advice, but good luck!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »
You will be fine. Don't worry. Just practice your stuff.  Try to use the whole ice surface and don't camp out in any one spot for the whole session or even half of it. You have every right to be there practicing. If you accidentally get in someone's way, just politely say "Sorry" and keep going.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »
Shameless self promotion and blogrolling, but directly OT.

http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2013/01/first-time-on-freestyle.html
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 05:10:39 PM »
I remember my first time on free skate as an adult.  I was pretty nervous but tried to keep moving and also to keep my eyes peeled.  I didn't get too much done but I did manage to learn how the session seemed to move and the next time I went I was a lot more comfortable.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »
Personally I found it helpful to have my coach with me the first time.  Failing that going to watch a session from the stands can give you an idea of how things work at your rink.  Good luck and have fun!