You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Tear near boot sole plate  (Read 4968 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Tear near boot sole plate
« on: May 12, 2013, 06:32:58 PM »
Well, my boots are breaking down. I have been secretly hoping to hold onto them until the end of June, after my tests are over. However there is a tear in the leather near the right inside sole plate, and my right foot somehow thinks it's colder while setting up spins on deep, extended RBI edge. I am yet to talk to the pro shop sometime next week. Fingers crossed that the boots can handle another month and half...

What do you think about this tear? The right boot always felt a little wonky and probably that's why it broke down faster than the left boot.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: Tear near boot sole plate
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 07:36:45 PM »
Isn't skating with compromised equipment a risky prospect?  While it's understandable you don't want to break in new skates before you test isn't that the lesser of two evils (so to speak) :-\

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
I would be worried that something like that might give on me while skating but I also understand wanting to get through a test.

Also, though your skates are probably past any sort of warranty period, I would contact the manufacturer... that's a really odd place for a tear.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »
I skate just fine for now, but can't afford a sudden breakdown near or in the test. Getting new boots right now is out of the question due to testing and some other reasons.

skating buddy suggested that I take it to the local shoe shop. now I'm not sure which one to visit first.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »
I would take it to local shoe repair, especially if they were closer/could get there faster. My skate guy can do some stuff but he is 45mins and only has evening hours. I have a friend who works at a shoe repair shop and the repairs they can make to leather shoes are amazing. The shop she works at is walking distance from a rink and they do repairs/extras on skates for coaches/skaters. Shoe repair shop is also more likely to have machines/materials needed for repair then pro shop - at least my pro shops/skate guys. Could be different for you.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 10:41:17 PM »
skating buddy suggested that I take it to the local shoe shop. now I'm not sure which one to visit first.

http://mcshoerepair.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 10:56:35 PM »
Oh sorry. I meant whether to visit the pro shop first or just go straight to shoe repair... Website is handy, thx! Hope a quick patch can fix it!!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 11:26:39 PM »
Definitely call first.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 11:32:33 PM »
You say it's broken-down, but that's not an ordinary sign.  I don't think that's reparable, but if it's just cosmetic (not structural) I wouldn't worry.

Just a thought: perhaps that skate feels colder because your foot presses more on that spot?  That could have caused the problem, so it might not have been a defect.  IIRC, you bought these used and they were a little snug, right?  (I might be thinking of someone else.)  Stretching dry leather can cause it to crack this way.  That doesn't mean the skate has broken down, although it is common for one boot to wear out before the other.

I would say to go to the skate shop and have them determine how broken-down the skate really is right now.  If they're really shot, replace the skates.  If not, and you can't feel the tear on the inside of the skate with your fingers, just tape it up well to get through the test.

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 11:59:13 PM »
Thank you!  :love:  you are recalling the other pair of skates that I ended up not using.

I bought this pair used from the pro shop about three years ago, they are fairly beat up. not sure if it's worth a rebuild but I'll look into that too. pro shop is not a convenient trip and I'm not due for sharpening yet, will see.

Thank you everyone :-)

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 01:37:16 AM »
The indentation around the tear sure looks like there is empty space there inside the boot that could be filled to avoid breakdown to some extant.

But I wonder if you didn't cut the skate with your other blade.

I don't recall a boot breaking down in that way (though perhaps I just don't have the experience), but it would be quite possible to cut a boot with a misplaced blade.

I don't know how to fix your cold spot.  Perhaps a little skate tape - it looks like you've got tape on some other parts of the boot?  Better yet, a thicker foam insulation tape or moleskin?  Or neoprene boot covers, if you have them?  If there is an empty air spot on the inside of the boot next to the tear or cut, you could fill it with something sticky (like moleskin).  Just don't create a high pressure point, because that would make the adjacent skin cold.

There are leather repair liquids that could fill a tear or cut, but they don't provide much structural strength.

I bet your pro advises you to get new skates.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
So I made an appointment and went to the shoe repair shop today. The repair guy applied glue on the rip first, stitched a piece of semi-circle shape leather of 2" diameter on top of the damaged area, then glued to the sole plate. Originally he worried about the finished look, I told him I wear boot cover all the time and can't care less about this old boot's look. Since the heel area was slightly loose from sole plate, he also put some nails / glue there. Overall a pleasant experience, took about 40 minutes and charged for $30.

After the tests are over, I may or may not be back for rebuilding. Will visit pro shop for sharpening and ask for their opinion.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 03:05:05 PM »
The indentation around the tear sure looks like there is empty space there inside the boot that could be filled to avoid breakdown to some extent.

But I wonder if you didn't cut the skate with your other blade.

There are multiple cuts on the boot that are obviously caused by blades, but I am clueless about the rip / tear. The indentation may or may not come from a recent flight where maybe the boot was squished a bit (even though I fillet it with clothes).

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 09:47:03 PM »
Here is the patch on the side

And the heel, turns out he also put in a metal plate

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 09:54:13 PM »
Interesting repair -- please let us know how it holds! I hope it will hold until your test. Good luck! :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 10:10:35 PM »
Thank you, I surely hope it did not negatively impact the fit of the boot :)  Will report back as soon as I get to skate in them  :angel:

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 10:02:58 PM »
Sounds like the guy knew what he was doing.

Hope your test goes well!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 12:00:03 AM »
I'm not hundred percent sure about the metal plate under the heel. hope the jump landings are ok, shock absorption and all.

eta: I'll continue to use the yellow insoles

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 06:34:46 AM »
Well, since you're only going to be using th skates for a few weeks, just buy some of those shock absorbing footbeds from the drug store and cut them up so theres' a piece over the heel. They won't last very long maybe only a a couple of hours, but they're cheap and you an cut the heel patches from them and just replace them.

Then test over, new boots.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 03:28:02 PM »
I survived the first session after this repair. Did dances, MITF, spins, and waltz jumps.
Could feel the right heel is raised a bit, but so far so good.

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 03:58:26 PM »
That's a really quality looking repair. Actually very impressed by it. Much better than me putting in like 15 self tapping screws to keep my old plastic soled Jacksons together.