You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: skating in Frederick, MD  (Read 1617 times)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
skating in Frederick, MD
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:26:36 PM »
My parents are likely moving to Frederick. We seem to have a lot of skaters from Maryland here, and I was wondering if anyone skates there. I'll probably skate there one weekend every three months or so.

I live in Podunk, so anyplace with two ice surfaces is the big leagues for me  :D.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
Re: skating in Frederick, MD
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 06:28:26 AM »
Will you be going to FS sessions or public sessions? I am under the impression that the only people allowed to skate the FS sessions, are those who are taking lessons from one of that rink's private instructors. Their public session schedule isn't very good, and in summer they cut out a lot of public skating.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 06:53:10 AM »
http://www.skatefrederick.com/figure_skating/

The page says they're a member of "Excellence on Ice". <shrug>

The freestyle schedule says "Skaters must be private lesson students" Why not just call the skating director and say you're a freestyle skater from another rink and visiting and ask the rules. They may be flexible since you'll only be there once in a while or they may have such a crush of skaters they say no.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »
I did see freestyles were only for people taking private lessons, and I wouldn't be doing that. I might call and ask. But I'm also OK with publics if freestyle elements are allowed. I was more just wondering if there was anyone here I might run into (hopefully not literally.)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 08:35:30 PM »
It may be more of a "students taking private lessons" vs "students in group classes" distinction to weed out lower level skaters.. not necessarily a requirement that you are taking private lessons with a coach at that rink to skate on freestyle.