You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Y Spiral and Hydroblade Help!  (Read 4783 times)

Offline Pandafan00

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Y Spiral and Hydroblade Help!
« on: March 16, 2013, 04:12:20 PM »
Hi guys!  :)

I've been skating since I was little, but stopped for 2 years. Now, I've restarted, and doing pretty well; I've been competing in the Primary level, and can do up to a lutz. But in both competitions, I received last place, which was quite disappointing. :-\ My coach decided to completly redo my program, and put a Y-spiral AND a hydrablade in it. I'm sort of flexible (my spirals are a bit over 90 degrees) but my leg refuse to create that beautiful Y shape. I stretch every other day, for my spiral, but I was wondering if anyone had tips on stretching to get a Y lift. Also, for my hydroblade, anyone know stretches for the leg muscles so I can go lower? Thanks!  ;)

Offline Pandafan00

• Rink Rat
Re: Y Spiral and Hydroblade Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »
Bump?  :P

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »
I know  nothing about skating a Y-spiral, but I think I may be able to provide a trick about the off-ice stretching. This is sensible, and if you don't see improvement or it feels uncomfortable don't do it. The trick is to do the stretching initially lying down so that you don't  have to worry about balancing or messing with equipment. This can help you get a much deeper stretch so that when you go to do it standing, you have greater flexibility than you need. A sort of flexibility reserve, so to speak.

Also, I'm getting physical therapy now, and I'm supposed to do the stretching every day, twice a day. Take that for what it's worth.

I can do a catch foot spiral off ice now, with the  leg which I've never been able to get to bend so I can touch my heel. I'm 61 with some serious knee damage.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Pandafan00

• Rink Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:04:40 PM »
Thank you! That's a great tip!  :) And congratulations on your catch foot.  ;)

When you say, lying down, what kind of stretches should I do? My goal is probably to stretch twice a day, so my spiral will eventually go over my head, too. Any suggestions there? :) 

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 07:27:55 PM »
Thank you! That's a great tip!  :) And congratulations on your catch foot.  ;)

When you say, lying down, what kind of stretches should I do? My goal is probably to stretch twice a day, so my spiral will eventually go over my head, too. Any suggestions there? :)

There I have no clue.  I've just found doing stretches for spirals at first, without having to worry about balancing really helped me.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 08:41:58 PM »
Practice the y spiral backwards so even if you hit a bump, you won't get knocked off your foot.  If you drag the toepick, that's okay.  When you stretch off-ice, start with a high counter for your free leg.  After a few weeks, you can use a wall to stretch upwards.  Just make sure you have something to use for balance.

For the hydro blade, I'd suggest getting into the position off-ice and just stretching gently.  The real difficulty is moving into and out of the position on the ice.  That's less flexibility and more strength.

Whenever you stretch, first warm up thoroughly.  Do jumping jacks or jump rope until you start to perspire, so that your muscles are warm and pliable.

Secondly, move into and out of the stretches slowly with no bouncing or yanking into position.  If you force or push too hard, you could tear a muscle or ligament/tendon.  Hold each stretch for 30-60 seconds to allow the muscles to stretch easily and thoroughly.  Fewer is better than too fast or too short.  Regular stretching will bring progress.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Pandafan00

• Rink Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »
Thanks so much! Do you also have any good stretches so I can get into my front splits soon?  :)

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »
In this old thread, I shared the stretches that got me my forward splits and also helped me get a Y spiral:

The most important thing is to hold each stretch for 30 seconds in a correct position (30 seconds with a stopwatch, not counting to 30 as fast as you can, LOL!).  Don't push until it hurts, just get to a position where you can *maintain correct form* and you *feel a stretch* and hold that for 30, taking slow, deep breaths.  Then go a little deeper and hold that position for another 30 seconds.  Stretching for 30-45 minutes 4-5 days a week for a year gave me my forward splits in both directions for the first time in my life in my 40's, so that's proof that persistence and patience pay off. :)

The main stretches that got me my forward splits were these:

- Seated hamstring stretch:  http://blog.hhchiro.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/stretch-hamstring.jpg  Try to touch your belly to your upper thigh so you aren't rounding your back; don't try to touch your head to your knee.  Also, be sure to keep your non-stretching leg in the position shown--bent, with bottom of foot against the inner thigh of the stretching leg.  Hold for at least 30 seconds each time (use a stopwatch).  When you can hold your torso flat down on your thigh for 30 seconds so your face is below your knee, you have enough hamstring flexibility to do a split with that leg in front.  Always stretch your calves before doing this stretch.
      I do the seated hamstring stretch with my back against the wall.  That way, I can put one hand on the wall right behind my lower back and push my lower back away from the wall so that I press my belly button toward my thigh and don't have a rounded back.  This helped me A LOT and I still need to do it to loosen up my lower back and upper hamstrings as I work toward folding my torso flat over my leg. 
This is the correct back position as you do a hamstring stretch: http://www.dreamstime.com/seated-hamstring-stretch-thumb3196121.jpg 
This is a bad position: http://www.teachpe.com/images/jenny/hamstring_lower_back_stretch.jpg

- Hip flexor stretch: http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/1/12981/33_2007/lunge.jpg  Also hold for at least 30 seconds.  When you can get your thighs in at least a straight line (preferably a little beyond that) and hold for 30 seconds, you have enough hip flexor flexibility for a split with that leg in back.  I prefer to do this stretch as a "half split" on a low bench with the back leg straight back on the bench and the front leg bent at a 90 degree angle with the foot on the floor.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
Thanks so much! Do you also have any good stretches so I can get into my front splits soon?  :)

More than specific stretches, I would also stress to stretch *daily* even when you don't skate.. the progress will feel very slow, but flexibility is increased gradually over time, not all at once.  Your muscles absolutely need to be warmed up, but a quick jog around the block (or to the corner and back) is fine for that, or you can stretch after you skate - but never stretch cold. 

In addition to the hamstring stretches butterfly stretches and straddle stretches are helpful.

You can practice the spiral positions off ice - just use a wall or doorway for balance.