You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Turkish Pairs Team  (Read 7650 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Turkish Pairs Team
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:43:12 PM »
I had a coach who flat out told me she'd never seen a student who started skating after 30 get an axel.

She should check out Ilhan Mansiz. This former soccer player started at 32 and is aiming to compete in pairs at Sochi Olympics, representing Turkey! He certainly got the lower doubles fairly fast.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Turkish Pairs Team
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »
aiming to compete in pairs at Sochi Olympics, representing Turkey!

Unfortunately, since Turkey doesn't seem to have a worlds-eligible pairs team, they can't earn a spot at the olympics.  Of course one can, in principle, earn a spot at Nebelhorn.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:44:18 AM »
Unfortunately, since Turkey doesn't seem to have a worlds-eligible pairs team, they can't earn a spot at the olympics.  Of course one can, in principle, earn a spot at Nebelhorn.

Yes nebelhorn is the plan according to latest reports. Their chances are slim but I applaud them for the courage and determination.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:56:19 AM »
Even if they don't make it, it could pave the way for future pairs teams from Turkey, so it is still an accomplishment.  Just as Tugba Karademir paved the way for all Turkish skaters.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 08:59:08 AM »
The thing I don't 'get' about Mansiz is it appears he is ONLY shooting for the Olympics.  Why not try some other competitions too?  Yes, they'll have to go to Nebelhorn to qualify, but it seems they could have been doing some other Senior Bs as they've trained for that (which would probably help them get some judges feedback to better their chances of qualifying.)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:12:54 AM »
They probably have to gain the support of their Federation (and government?) to receive funding.  Competing at a high-profile comp would be a stronger showing, making a case for the need for more support/funding.  That's how Japan and South Korea built their programs.

A few years ago, there was a similar couple from India who converted from roller skating.  They didn't do all that well at competitions, but they garnered attention.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:17:44 AM »
They probably have to gain the support of their Federation (and government?) to receive funding. 

Based on reports elsewhere, the guy is a multi-millionaire.  They probably need the support of the federation to be allowed to enter, but I think this team funding is not an issue.  Since the guy is famous in Turkey, I haven't seen anything that makes it sound like the federation doesn't support the team, even if not monetarily- this is raising so much awareness of the sport for them.

Competing at a high-profile comp would be a stronger showing, making a case for the need for more support/funding.
Nebelhorn is only high-profile in an Olympic year, because it is the qualifier.  Basically, Nebelhorn IS the olympics for the teams hoping to qualify (they have no shot of doing well at the actual Olympics, they just want to be there).  So why would you go to the 'big one' as your FIRST competition? 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:17:41 AM »
cross posting from an older thread.

On a related note, I am kind of interested in the progress of a retired Turkish soccer player Ilhan Mansiz, who picked up skating very fast on "Dance on Ice", and decided to start pairs skating in 2010 with his GF - a former Olympian, aiming at Sochi 2014.

According to the Absolute Skating interview (interesting read!), he was working on double jumps in 2011. It's rumored he has triples now, but I haven't found sources to back it up. Seriously, how much can an adult skater achieve with athletic talent, limitless resources, and strong dedication in 4 years?

I think the triple jump rumors are indeed rumors, but STILL!! There was also recent video of a beautiful double twist.

http://twitter.yfrog.com/nb6e1nsomusmciiipeikdoahz

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »
Dance on ice performance from December 2007

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »
Lot of progress in five years.  That was solid!

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 12:05:55 PM »
I'm impressed!  Granted, he's already an athlete and has money and time for constant training (a lot more than most adult skaters ever will), but still, I admire his accomplishments and drive!

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »
Apparently they train in Scottsdale, AZ at the Ice Den.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 03:36:26 PM »
Add that he had multiple knee surgeries due to career ending injury... simply wow.

Nebelhorn is only high-profile in an Olympic year, because it is the qualifier.  Basically, Nebelhorn IS the olympics for the teams hoping to qualify (they have no shot of doing well at the actual Olympics, they just want to be there).  So why would you go to the 'big one' as your FIRST competition? 

Hmm maybe they hope to get more technical elements that are fitting to international competitions before subjecting themselves to tons of scrutiny? There are certainly many skating fans writing them off from the very beginning. (e.g. the first page of their FSU thread)

Maybe there will be some small competitions for them (not necessarily international) during the summer?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 11:14:23 PM »
They just competed at Nebelhorn! Maybe a video will surface soon. So much courage!!
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/26/61846866

The 38-year-old Mansiz began training with the Slovakian Beständigová in 2010, falling in love with her in the process. Their program was slow and their elements shaky, but they were happy with their performance. 

"I would never recommend figure skating to any football player because it's hard, but I recommend everyone to fight for their dream, no matter what it is," Mansiz said.

"We probably won't make it to the Olympics, but still it is our victory," Beständigová said.

ETA: here is a video link. I had tears in my eyes watching him.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 08:38:38 AM »
I remember the first Indian pairs team from 2006.  They had switched from roller skating to ice skating, so they weren't at the top of their game, but it was cool that they had the opportunity to skate.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 10:45:11 AM »
Wow the Turkish team did pretty well! And to think they're both in the 30's -- and one of them started out late. It's inspiring.

I doubt I'll ever make it to an international ISU competition, but this pair is just inspiring.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 03:02:57 PM »
here is the free

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
I doubt I'll ever make it to an international ISU competition, but this pair is just inspiring.

Nebelhorn is an ISU competition.  Senior B competitions such as Nebelhorn do not require a minimum score.  If the competition is not full, anyone can be entered by their federation.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 10:19:31 PM »
ETA: here is a video link. I had tears in my eyes watching him.

Removed by the ISU. 

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »
Nebelhorn is an ISU competition.  Senior B competitions such as Nebelhorn do not require a minimum score.  If the competition is not full, anyone can be entered by their federation.

nicklaszlo: I also have another problem -- I don't have a dance partner. :p Still though, even if I do get a dance partner, I'll need to pass the senior dances, which will take quite some time, if I do get there. Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »
nicklaszlo: I also have another problem -- I don't have a dance partner. :p Still though, even if I do get a dance partner, I'll need to pass the senior dances, which will take quite some time, if I do get there. Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it.

I guess I confused "I" with "They" in your post before.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 08:52:33 PM »
Does this pair need to pass some formal skating test (similar to senior pairs test in the US) to qualify for senior B event? Or is it completely at the federation's discretion?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 09:03:54 PM »
I don't know the answer to your question BUT I can tell you that without looking at their program in great detail it would most likely pass the US Senior Pairs test.

And if this program didn't they could construct one that could pass the test.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 10:10:28 AM »
Imagine how brave that girl is.  She basically has to be strong and skate for herself and her partner.  I give her massive kudos.  It is tough being in that position.  Good for them for trying.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 02:40:55 PM »
thank you icedancer, good to know this is enough for the senior pairs test in the US!!

Imagine how brave that girl is.  She basically has to be strong and skate for herself and her partner.  I give her massive kudos.  It is tough being in that position.  Good for them for trying.

unbelievably brave for those rotational, over the head lifts!! I wonder if they will continue to skate and maybe appear in some shows?