You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Level for step sequences  (Read 3605 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Level for step sequences
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:28:27 PM »
I found the official definition here: http://www.skatingaheadofthecurve.com/StepSequences.html. What I found confusing is how (a) very few skaters get Level 4 step sequences, and (b) the same step sequence can be  considered Level 3 or Level 4 depending on the competition where it was performed.

My guess is that it's the "full use" of the upper body that's crucial here to get Level 4 (because the variety criterion is clear), but I could be wrong. (I've seen Mao Asada's step sequences, and I can't believe she's only gotten Level 4 *once*). What should one look for in step sequences to see if they're Level 3 or 4?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Level for step sequences
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »
and (b) the same step sequence can be  considered Level 3 or Level 4 depending on the competition where it was performed.

This would be more accurately stated that it's scored based on the skater's performance - it doesn't take much to drop from a level 4 to a level 3.  Likewise it's very difficult to get a level 4 on a step sequence in general - I've heard it said that it's much harder now than it was just a few seasons ago because the judges are getting pickier as skaters are executing these better in general.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 09:15:34 PM »
Variety (Level 3): Must include at least 8 turns and 4 steps, none counted more than twice.

Complexity (Level 4): Must include at least 5 different types of turns and 3 different types of steps all executed at least once in both directions.

sarahspins: I'm still confused. Based on this criteria, Level 3 and Level 4 are different. Do you mean that you can map out a Level 4 sequence, but if the judges don't like it, you'll get downgraded to a Level 3? How do the sports commentators know the level of the step sequence without knowing the judges' scores?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:24:43 PM »
sarahspins: I'm still confused. Based on this criteria, Level 3 and Level 4 are different. Do you mean that you can map out a Level 4 sequence, but if the judges don't like it, you'll get downgraded to a Level 3? How do the sports commentators know the level of the step sequence without knowing the judges' scores?

It happens a lot. Anything that has levels can be called much lower based on execution. (spins, dance lifts, etc)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
How do the sports commentators know the level of the step sequence without knowing the judges' scores?

They will often say what is on the planned program sheet. So if the skater plans on doing a level 4, they will call it that, and it may or may not actually be called that by the tech. panel.   

The other explanation is that many competitions, especially in the United States, are not broadcast live.  The commentators record after the protocols are available, so they are able to say what the judges did, but they keep the illusion for the viewer that they don't know what happened (I've seen a few competitions with slip ups where they clearly mention something that hasn't happened yet, in terms of the broadcast, like 'ooh, this SP flip will get downgraded, but in her long program she gets positive GOE).

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:15:03 AM »
The Planned Program Components Sheet (PPCS) only records the code representing the shape of the sequence: straight-line/SlSt, circular/CiSt, serpentine/SeSt.  There's no place to enter the intended step sequence level.

The commentators are either doing voiceover after the fact and reporting the actual results, or they have some foreknowledge based on previous competition scores or interviews with the skater/coach. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 09:19:31 AM »
Thanks for the correction.  I know I've seen live competitions where they call a triple jump when it was clearly a double, so I know they are reading planned program sheets- I guess that isn't the same for step sequences.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
I've only started getting to know how figure skating is judged, so sorry for my ignorance...thank you for all the clarifications!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 09:55:04 AM »

Exactly.. it's more common that a planned level 4 is downgraded to a level 3 based on what is actually done on the ice, and the technical panel is responsible for calling the levels, it's not just up to the judges to decide at random (same for spins, which jumps were performed, etc).

I would presume that most elite skaters plan on level 4 elements in their programs, but spins are easily downgraded to level 3 (or lower) if minimum revs aren't met, and with footwork if the edging and turns aren't clear enough (turns done on flats, for example) that you could easily lose credit for some of what you do.