You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Alternatives to off-ice lunges  (Read 4105 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Alternatives to off-ice lunges
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »
Part of my gym routine is doing 3 sets of 12 reps per leg of lateral lunges (the numbers were given by the trainer who gave me an endurance program). Unlike my other routines, my body hasn't gotten used to this yet. Every time I do it, my muscles (especially the glutes!) start to spasm by the 2nd set.

I'm thinking maybe I should try to go easy on this and let my body gradually adjust. I've tried reducing the number of reps to 8, keeping the 3 sets. It helped, but not much. I think I should change the routine, but I don't know what to replace the lateral lunges with. Every other lunge variant seems to be just as difficult.

Btw, I also do wall squats (with the balance ball). Those aren't very problematic.

Should I try isometric (static) lateral lunges instead? Or are there other easier exercises that you can recommend that will prepare my muscles for lateral lunges? Thanks!

Offline nataxa

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
Re: Alternatives to off-ice lunges
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »
Try to stretch your muscles before and AFTER each rep. It could help you with spasms. Stretching before and after is essential!!!
For example:

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:01:12 AM »
First of all, when starting a new exercise, you should never start with 3 sets of 12.  Your body has to get used to an exercise at a low rep count first until you build strength to do more.  Begin with a set of 10, progress to 2 sets of 10, then 3.  (This is how we progress all exercises in our videos). This is the safest way to exercise.  It sounds like your glute medius muscle isn't strong enough to stabilize your hip yet for this exercise. It fatigues very quickly then goes into spasm.  Stretching will help alleviate it, but not prevent it.  To strengthen this muscle, you can do a clamshell exercise with an exercise band, side leg lifts w/ a small weight, band walks, or lateral step downs. As your glute medius gets stronger, you will be able to do the lunges.  Also remember when doing lunges, the knee never should go past the toe.  Let me know if you have other questions!
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 06:21:56 PM »
nataxa: Yes, I do this stretch too -- but only after the exercise. I should try it before. :)

First of all, when starting a new exercise, you should never start with 3 sets of 12.  Your body has to get used to an exercise at a low rep count first until you build strength to do more.  Begin with a set of 10, progress to 2 sets of 10, then 3.  (This is how we progress all exercises in our videos). This is the safest way to exercise.  It sounds like your glute medius muscle isn't strong enough to stabilize your hip yet for this exercise. It fatigues very quickly then goes into spasm.  Stretching will help alleviate it, but not prevent it.  To strengthen this muscle, you can do a clamshell exercise with an exercise band, side leg lifts w/ a small weight, band walks, or lateral step downs. As your glute medius gets stronger, you will be able to do the lunges.  Also remember when doing lunges, the knee never should go past the toe.  Let me know if you have other questions!

This is spot on! I do have a problem with my gluteus medius (just searched the muscle up, so now I know what it is, lol!). It's definitely not a strong one.

Anyway, it turns out the my whole leg goes into spasm -- the glutes are just the only ones most noticeable. I iced them the night after my workout (I lie on ice packs all night, that's the only way they work), but I didn't have enough ice packs so I left the hamstrings out. Now they're the most sore.

Thanks for your advice! I checked out the clamshell exercise, I think I'll start with that. Do you have any similar exercise for the hamstrings? Thanks!

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »
You can stretch your hamstrings with toe touches.  Do both the uncrossed and crossed leg versions.  Be sure to cross legs both ways >> that is right over left and left over right.  Finally a really nice passive hamstring stretch is to lay on your back with your tush as close to a wall as possible, place your legs up against the wall at a 90 degree angle to the rest of your body.  You might also want to consider investing in a foam roller to help with the spasms.

Offline rsk8d

• Sk8Strong
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 06:28:24 PM »
Hamstring exercises include single leg bridges and single leg dead lifts.  But make sure you start with low reps, or they will be quite sore!

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »
But make sure you start with low reps, or they will be quite sore!

Yes, I'll remember that! So low reps for 1 set, and then gradually increase the sets, before increasing the reps? Or is it the other way around?

Offline rsk8d

• Sk8Strong
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Start with one set of 8-10 reps, then progress to 2 x10, then 2x15

Offline sampaguita