You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating on Medication  (Read 1224 times)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Skating on Medication
« on: January 09, 2013, 04:50:33 AM »
Out of curiousity does anyone here skate while taking coumadin? And do you take any special precautions?

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Re: Skating on Medication
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 09:51:08 AM »
Yes, I was on warfarin (generic version of Coumadin) for awhile when I first started learning to skate.  It was a very low dose for a chemo port.  I never really asked my doctors or nurses about it, and they never expressed any concern either.  I'm no longer taking the med.  I was working on loop, flip and lutz, camel and sit spins (hmm, still working on same things!)

I didn't notice any difference in bruising from falls while I was on warfarin or after.  The bruises from my more spectacular falls would be so deep that I wouldn't have much discoloration on the skin.  I am pretty cautious and don't fall very often.  When I do fall, they're usually fairly dramatic.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Skating on Medication
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »
I seem to be getting different reactions from the doctors with regards to skating. Some see it as a positive (I'm exercising) and others are a little concerned about falls. I don't generally fall, but when I do they're always pretty dramatic. I've also been having problems with little bleeds from the drugs so that's making me a little anxious about falling.