You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: I managed to kill my RI edge  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
I managed to kill my RI edge
« on: September 23, 2010, 05:46:04 PM »
Normally I am very careful with my skates but today I was leaning out the door where the matting ends and the hard floor begins, lost my balance, and touched my right skate to the hard tiled floor. Thought it'd be okay since I barely touched down, so went on the ice and it was definitely dull, so dull that even putting my weight on the edge would cause it to slide right out from underneath me. So took the skates to the pro-shop and asked the guy there to fix my edge, and he sharpened it then showed me that the edges were level with one of his tools. So very thankful that somebody was there who could fix it, as half the time there's just a hockey kid there, otherwise I woulda lost out on 1.75 hours ice time.

Moral of the story: Never let your skates get within ten feet of a hard surface. Something will happen.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: I managed to kill my RI edge
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »
You're lucky they were able to salvage the blade so quickly.  I had to have a pair of blades replaced after a similar incident. 

FWIW, I usually wear down my RI edge lower than the others because I do one-foot stops on it all the time.  The sharpener mentions it after every sharpening.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 09:35:11 AM »
My RI edge was always awful due to snowplow stops.  I had to try really hard to remember to do them on my left foot, or to do a t-stop and use the RO instead.  LO never had to take any stops at all...

Glad you got your blade fixed!

Offline Sierra

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:40:45 AM »
You're lucky they were able to salvage the blade so quickly.  I had to have a pair of blades replaced after a similar incident.
:o :o :o They coulda been ruined?! They are fairly new and have only been sharpened twice before this incident. Maybe that's why they could be easily saved?

-dizzy- I'd have really been in a hole if something irreversible happened to them.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 10:45:58 AM »
I was standing on a small rubber mat.  I lost my balance reaching for something and I twisted/hopped to catch my balance, which dinged the edges badly.  The concrete I stepped on wasn't smooth.  The blades were pretty old/sharpened so there wasn't enough hard steel left to correct the damage.  When the sharpener fixed them, they weren't the same.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 12:50:02 PM »
Blade to concrete contact = bad.  Blade to blade contact = also bad.  I killed my RI edge once when my feet got badly tangled on a nasty axel wipeout.  It took two or three sharpenings before it felt completely normal again.

And when daughter was testing her pre-juv moves, she and another skater collided on the warmup.  Unbeknownst to me (as I was in the upstairs lobby trying to stay out of the way) they "clinked" blades pretty badly and that wiped out the entire back half of her left inside edge.  Which is not what anyone needs when they are about to test power pulls!  Somehow she managed to pass the test and we didn't even realize there was a problem until the following day when she kept tanking badly on her 2sal attempts (which she was able to do just fine normally).  You know it's bad when my relatively untrained eye could see the edge was gone.  Took them right back to our sharpener...he was like "she tested WHAT on this?"  As we had just had them sharpened a week earlier in preparation for the test session, he didn't even charge me to re-do them.

Offline Sierra

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 02:57:19 PM »
Blade to concrete contact = bad.  Blade to blade contact = also bad.  I killed my RI edge once when my feet got badly tangled on a nasty axel wipeout.  It took two or three sharpenings before it felt completely normal again.

It was tile. Ceramic? I think it was something very soft though, because I left a little mark on it. I shudder at the thought of my blade touching actual concrete. I have only walked on concrete in my blades once (with hard guards on), and it was because I was desperate for an ibuprofen and I was in the middle of an ice session. Normally I don't trust the hard guards to safely take my blades through non rubber surfaces.

I am unbelievably uptight about people coming close to me on the ice. Not because I'm afraid I'll get hurt. I'm afraid their blades will collide with either my blade or my boot, both of which I paid good money for.

Power pulls with a wiped out heel? No way! How did she not kill herself?

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 11:13:01 AM »

Power pulls with a wiped out heel? No way! How did she not kill herself?

No kidding.  I need my blades very, very sharp to even try power pulls (and only on a day when my knees aren't already bothering me, and the sun, moon and stars are in correct alignment...hehehe).  To say nothing of the FO/BI 3's.  I don't think they even asked her to reskate anything, I think one judge marked her down on her power pulls but had her marked up elsewhere so the test passed anyway.