You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Another injury question-rotator cuff this time  (Read 1181 times)

Offline jwrnsktr

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
Another injury question-rotator cuff this time
« on: October 15, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »
 :-\

Anyone come back to skating after rotator cuff surgery, and if so, when was it OK to get back on the ice.....  I'm an adult skater with some one rev jumps, just skating for fun and exercise, but I miss it......  surgery was 2.5 weeks ago and I know it's way too soon but would love to know an approximate number of months....  thanks..

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
Re: Another injury question-rotator cuff this time
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
I've never had rotor cuff surgery, but I did do something to both of mine last year.  And let me tell you that after 3 months of PT, they still hurt!  Do not go back on the ice too soon.  Talk to your orthopedic surgeon and ask him/her what his/her opinion is.  The last thing you want to do is return to the ice too soon. 

Good luck and I hope you're better soon.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 07:17:39 AM »
I had rotator cuff surgery several years ago.  The doctors said no skating until PT was complete; original estimate was 12 weeks and, honestly, it was 11 weeks of torture and then , presto, on the 12th week it felt fine.  I also did the exercises faithfully every day.

The doctor's big fear was that I'd fall on the ice and undo the healing. 

Offline jwrnsktr

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:21:19 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you blue111moon.  I'm in week three of physical torture, I mean physical therapy.  Sooooo painful!  Good to know it's a normal progression which I've been told, but have trouble swallowing it because it's just miserable.  My ortho told me I could skate when he feels, "you're not going to hurt yourself."  I can barely raise my arm twenty degrees so I know it'll be months.  Just wanted to see if anyone else has had the experience - thanks again and thanks Kitten too.