You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: I will never look at Johnny Weir's skating the same again  (Read 2487 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
I will never look at Johnny Weir's skating the same again
« on: September 03, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »
This is from ISU. I think it might be for judge's or choreographer's training.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoPfHsPs-Nk&feature=relmfu

It has full programs without commentary. It's interesting how that affects the intensity of the viewing experience.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: I will never look at Johnny Weir's skating the same again
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 03:38:42 PM »
The video aims to explain how components scores are given, not sure if it's for judges or just casual fan education. Did they pick the emptiest Johnny LP? I was shocked that 1) how front loaded the jumps were and 2) there was zero transition connecting those jumps.

Have to say I am not sure how your opinion was before and after :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:40:28 PM »
People online have been pointing out how few connections Johnny actually has in his program, for how much he says artistry is really important. Alissa Czisny had very empty programs last year too- surprisingly, for how amazing her PCS score are, and how gorgeous she is on the ice- almost no transitions.

However, watching Johnny's show, I noticed his choreographers give him fabulous programs- and then his coaches make him dump almost everything interesting...

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »
Well, the video was pointing out the program should be judged based on the actual content, not how the skater usually skates or is capable of.  :pop: :pop:   I understand Johnny isn't quite working the COP to his best advantage, but this particular long program must be one of the emptiest of his?

I have a feeling this thread will end up in spectator skating forum or media center :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 04:29:56 PM »
Yeah, he goes, skate skate jump, skate skate jump.

But, dang it, he does it beautifully.

Too bad his straight line foot work is always the same.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 04:35:04 PM »
I haven't watched this video yet but I would have to agree with its premise.  What I have noticed watching Johnny is that his programs look like programs from the mid-90s prior to IJS, etc.  Bit empty programs with lots of great jumps and good skating but not nearly as complex as his rivals.

I will watch later in my spare time... http://www.abestweb.com/smilie

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:17:38 AM »
Quite interesting.

I think for skaters who were raised/started their Senior careers under 6.0 it would become harder to adapt to IJS. Plushenko won an Olympic silver medal with a pair of programs that wouldn't even get a second glance today. Yagudin won Olympic gold with a footwork sequence that was considered difficult and advanced at the time, but wouldn't even get a level 1 now, probably, for example.

A lot depends on the attitude of the skater too.

I actually like watching programs without commentary, or only with certain countries' commentators. The Russians and several other European channels tend to be quite quiet during a program (which I like) but North American commentators (US and Canada) annoy the absolute crap out of me by talking incessantly, mentioning useless/pointless trivia, making snide comments about a certain skater, or comparing them to other skaters.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 09:59:51 PM »
Karne, I will agree with you regarding the endless talking from the US commentators.  I used to video tape competitons so I could mute the talking.

I watched several of the videos while at work (shhh... don't tell).  I was never an Elvis Stroko (sp?) fan and now that I've watched his skating again, I'm STILL not a fan.  Crossovers, crossovers and more crossovers.  Two-footed skating.  Could he hold an edge?  At least that's my opinion.

And to think, I failed a freestyle test because I was told I needed more footwork (okay, and I fell on a jump, but footwork?)
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/