You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Curtsey at the end of class?  (Read 9100 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Curtsey at the end of class?
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:45:23 AM »
I have had two coaches who require the students to curtsey at the end of group class. I think the Russian coach requires that from his younger private student too, not sure about adults. At some point the other coach needed to teach us how to curtsey properly (instead of bowing lol) and I admit I still don't do it right. Is class-end curtsey common in your area? :)  Funny stories?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Curtsey at the end of class?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:56:47 AM »
Absolutely. The girls are expected to curtsey or "present" as they would at the of a skate in a competition; the boys are expected to bow, all at the end of each session.  Then they may exit the ice.  They present to the onlookers. This is coach not club specific.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
Never at the end of a class (Four different rinks in 3 different states, two midwest one southwest).  We either just leave (i say thank you, not everyone does) or maybe high five.  The end of program curtsy is taught if you skate a program.  Most group kids never will.

In ballet, we have reverance which ends in a curtsy and applauding teachers.  That is likely where it came from.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 11:00:20 AM »
I was brought up clapping and saying thank you at the end of any classes.  We did this of on ice classes, off ice classes, any skating classes really.  I still do it today.  I may be the only one often but it is what I learned to do.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 12:41:36 PM »
I've never heard of that, except when we have a guest coach/presenter.  Makes sense that it would have come from ballet; I'll have to ask my students who take ballet if it's common after those classes.  Could be a regional/cultural thing.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 01:24:47 PM »
It was required at the end of every ballet class I've ever taken.  Only my Russian coaches ever had me reverance at the end of a skating lesson, and they were ballet dancers who worked with us on presentation.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »
I've never heard of that before! Going up to the group coach and saying thank-you... definitely, yes! (As a child we couldn't leave a group class until we did this) But anything more than that... no...

As an adult we aren't required to do or say anything in group or 1-2-1 lessons. Saying thank-you is basic good manners though!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 01:40:09 PM »
Required at the end of music lesson too ... it's a gesture of respect to the instructor, and to practice for more formal performance. Ballet, absolutely, as well.

It's actually quite nice. The skaters line up, they make their bow/presentation/curtsey to the onlookers, parents, etc and then skate off; it signals the end of the session. However, remember, this is a private club, and these are not adult skaters, it ranges from 3 years on some sessions up to late teens. It's not public ice - I can see it being a bit of a head-scratcher if they did it on a public skate session :)

Thanking the coach is also a normal expectation, and, at comps, test days, etc, thanking all of the volunteers and officials. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 04:11:19 PM »
Ummm.. well I had a coach have us practice them IN class, but I've never heard of it being done to end a class or session.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »
Required at the end of music lesson too ...

Really? I've taken private and group lessons in piano and viola and never heard of curtseying to the instructor.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 04:36:48 PM »
Only reverance at the end of ballet....nothing else for any other class (and I've taken skating, music lessons, private tutoring for math, horseback riding & barrel racing lessons, gymnastics, belly dance, etc).
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 04:37:50 PM »
Only reverance at the end of ballet....nothing else for any other class (and I've taken skating, music lessons, private tutoring for math, horseback riding & barrel racing lessons, gymnastics, belly dance, etc).

Oh, we ALWAYS curtsey at the end of private tutoring for math  ;D

(I think it makes sense in the context of skating, since many skaters will have ballet training. I've just never heard of it.  Same with music- you have to do it at the performance, but I've still never seen it done.)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 04:46:57 PM »
Really? I've taken private and group lessons in piano and viola and never heard of curtseying to the instructor.

String instruments. Bow at the end of the lesson in the same way that you would do exiting the stage. Then again, all of these kids are heading for public performance/orchestra membership with this instructor, so it does have a purpose.

Again, it's all subject to the idiosyncrancies of the instructor. I remember having to curtsey at the weirdest times when I was little (showing my age), including, gasp, in school after standing up beside my desk to answer a question, or after I'd spelt my word at a spelling bee. 

I've got very old-school, formal, and traditional instructors for my kids for all of their activities for some reason.  It works for us, and they've told us that they like the formality and the "traditional" feel that they get from this sort of stuff.

Offline Sushi

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 06:06:03 PM »
Only the Russian coaches makes us curstey after group lessons with them.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
Required at the end of music lesson too ... it's a gesture of respect to the instructor, and to practice for more formal performance.

This is a hallmark of Suzuki training.  I've never done in in other music lessons, and don't require it of my students.  But my children, who were Suzuki trained violinists, always did.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 11:08:09 PM »
How do you all curtsey? I have never heard of being required to curtsey at the end of class. I pick one toe back behind me and do a quick dip of the knees after my programs, and it feels pretty silly. But I'm usually so tired or dizzy that I feel like anything else would be risky.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 11:18:36 PM »
How do you all curtsey? I have never heard of being required to curtsey at the end of class. I pick one toe back behind me and do a quick dip of the knees after my programs, and it feels pretty silly. But I'm usually so tired or dizzy that I feel like anything else would be risky.

That's pretty much it.. you're supposed to bow your head as well.

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 11:23:48 PM »
I've never done it in ice skating lessons or music lessons.  I didn't do Suzuki training though.  I haven't seen any of the coaches require it but I'll be looking now.  I do tell my teacher thank you at the end of lessons. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 11:41:58 PM »
We either just leave (i say thank you, not everyone does) or maybe high five.  

Hmm never did high fives at the end of session, but did that with fellow skaters when they do well.

I always make sure to thank the coach. Always. So sad it's not that common.

I agree it likely came from ballet. Also more likely with Russian coaches.

I pick one toe back behind me and do a quick dip of the knees after my programs, and it feels pretty silly.

I feel OK with a plain vanilla curtsey, not the fancy ones lol. Was told to step sideways to the right, then pick left toe pick behind and dip.

It was funny to see the older girls gather around to curtsey, but the substitute coach was not expecting it.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 04:00:42 AM »
My coach has never required a curtsey, but we always high-five and often air-kiss as well, and I always thank her.

For off-ice class, however, we do the ballet-style reverance with the Russian coach.

At the end of a competition program, I do a half-curtsey/half-bow - toe pick behind, dip and bow to the judges, turn and repeat to the audience. (The judges sit on the opposite side of the rink.)
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 05:27:51 AM »
We don't do it at our rink.
We did it in ballet but I don't think they do it in the off-ice class either.

In kids' lessons, my coach gives them chocolate at the end and he does a 'man hug' with another student (roughly the same age). It depends with my lesson. Usually it's a wink and "Monday" from my coach and "See you Monday" from me (I had group classes with him too and it was the same then).

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 08:31:02 AM »
One coach at my rink expects kids to curtsey to her at the end of their lessons. And at the end of club, they like us all to curtsey (I refuse).

I just say thank you to my coach, who dosn't expect anything else!

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 09:14:29 AM »
Pet peeve - at the end of a program, when the skater has finished at the end of the rink, they go back to the center and make a big deal out of their bow.  Why not just do it from your ending position, unless the center is on your way to the exit anyway?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 10:19:41 AM »
Pet peeve - at the end of a program, when the skater has finished at the end of the rink, they go back to the center and make a big deal out of their bow.  Why not just do it from your ending position, unless the center is on your way to the exit anyway?

Probably because it is modeled that way by elite skaters, and the rulebook says to.
1323 Competitors shall take their accolades in center ice and exit without undue delay.

(I originally thought this was in the part for qualifying competitions only, but it is in the 'rules that apply to all competitions' section.  I don't think there is any problem with bowing at an end of the ice, despite it saying center ice, but if the judges are at the other end, you haven't really acknowledged them.  But I agree with the idea- unless you are a novice + skater, just bow where you are.   It takes too long to get to the center!)

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 10:24:45 AM »
Huh, that's interesting - never noticed that rule before.  None of my coaches ever mentioned it.  Even at the end of the ice, I always acknowledge the judges by bowing in their direction, then the audience, then exit.  At club competitions, it's just unnecessary delay, and the applause is always kind of anemic because the audience already applauded at the end of the program.  Personally, I like to choreograph my kids' programs so they end reasonably center anyway, and thus avoid the awkwardness.