You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: test scores  (Read 1276 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
test scores
« on: June 15, 2012, 03:36:58 PM »
Have you ever seen more than a 3.9 on a test score element?  I didn't realize that the elements are on a 6.0 judging system, I've only seen as high as a 3.3.  Which is mediocre by the judging handbook.  :D

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
Re: test scores
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 03:55:55 PM »
It depends on the test. Generally judges mark test elements either at the passing score, .1 above or .1 below. Sometimes +/- .2. They usually won't mark a preliminary test as high as they would a senior test. Does that make sense?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
I think Michelle Kwan could come take the pre-pre test again and she might only get .5 or 1.0 above the passing standard...  

Judges give you a few extra tenths if it is excellent, or use the amount they mark below to show how much you have left to do (.1 = very close, .3 = not even close to passing), but it is very rare to get much different from the test average.  My coach has a senior test in 3 disciplines and has just started testing dance- his first scored dances (pre-bronze?) he said were marked only .2 and .3 above passing average.  Without a doubt, he performed them to a MUCH higher standard than the average test taker.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 05:40:40 PM »
Have you ever seen more than a 3.9 on a test score element?  I didn't realize that the elements are on a 6.0 judging system, I've only seen as high as a 3.3.  Which is mediocre by the judging handbook.  :D

Starting at Junior, for MITF the passing average for each element is 4.0 so yes, we definitely score above a 3.9 for some tests.

I have also seen very good ice-dancers (International competitors from another country taking our dance tests - they have to start at the beginning) - get VERY high scores from some judges just because the dance was so beautiful and a pleasure to watch.  Not all judges will do this of course and will not stray from just a few decimal points above the passing average.

It is kind of shocking when you would go to big competitions like Nationals before IJS and the lower placed Senior Dance teams would be getting 2.5s and 3.0 when clearly their dances were better than any we see at test sessions but in order to rank them against the other teams they had to get scores like that (because in effect the 6.0 system is just a ranking system).

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 05:44:07 PM »
(because in effect the 6.0 system is just a ranking system).

This is a good point.  When I score basic skills competitions (which admittedly the scores are not released) the ref will tell us a range to say in.  So for example, Basic 2, we might score from 1.5-2.5.   There is no reason we couldn't score from 5.0-6.0, as the only thing that matters is where in the range you are.