You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: showcase program idea  (Read 7884 times)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
showcase program idea
« on: June 07, 2012, 09:47:59 PM »
I've never done a showcase program, and I'd really like to do one this year, so I've been racking my brain for ideas. What can an adult do that is PG-rated but not super childish or corny?

I finally got an idea when I was voted "Ice Queen" by our club's members at our end-of-season awards ceremony. Get a crown and blue dress and skate to a medley "Cold as Ice" and "Cold-Hearted Snake." I'd like to get a third song in there but that might be too much. This would probably be a bronze level program.

Thoughts? Too silly or stupid? Are there better songs out there about ice or being cold or cold-hearted or ice that I'm missing?

Also, I've heard a bunch of terms for events. What's the difference between showcase, light entertainment, artistic and spotlight? This would probably start off as a USFS program; could I turn it into an ISI program pretty easily?

I'm hoping to talk to my coach about it Saturday.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: showcase program idea
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 02:58:29 AM »
Hmm...how about Black Swan?

Offline davincisop

• Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:42:46 AM »
You could do Heat Miser and Snow Miser, do a half red and half blue costume. :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »
Do you skate fast or slow?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 05:24:06 PM »
iCE, iCE bABY! is fun.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »
I'm not sure how I compare to other adults at my level (there aren't that many in my area) but I skate fairly slow, especially compared to pre-pre and preliminary kids. I think compared to other bronze and pre-bronze adults, I'm about average. When I complain to my coach that there's not enough time in my program, she responds, "Skate faster."

I would like to avoid Ice Ice Baby if possible  :).

Davinci, we actually did the Heatmiser song for an adult group holiday show number two years ago!

Sampaguita, did you mean the music from Black Swan or a complete Black Swan theme?

Offline sampaguita

• Total GOE: 44
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »
Sampaguita, did you mean the music from Black Swan or a complete Black Swan theme?

Black swan costume with Swan Lake music. I would think that's definitely adult level if Black Swan matches your personality -- to play that role requires a lot of experience that many children have not yet had.

If you like a ballet-themed but slower paced song, you might want to consider The Dying Swan. It is also another ballet piece that is slow and mellow: Misha Ge performed the best skating rendition of it that I have seen so far.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 09:01:27 PM »
Sampa, I like the idea, but I'm not sure I have the personality or the makeup abilities to pull it off. But the point of this is to learn to express myself better on the ice. I didn't talk to my coach; I think I'll wait until next month since I've got a test and competition coming up soon.

Offline Laneybug7

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 25
  • Unicorns and glitter:P
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 12:57:55 PM »
Hmm..I have a couple suggestions.  What about 'Ice Dance' from Edward Scissorhands..it's soooo pretty and very ballet like.  Or 'Ice Castles theme aka 'Looking through the eyes of love' or you can be the White Queen or Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland..I'm sure there's a theme for them.  Now these are more artistic than showcase. 

Offline Landing~Lutzes

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:47:43 AM »
When I was 13 I did a ballet/lyrical piece to "Fade to Black" by Apocalyptica at IDC, it was a very powerful piece and I've always wanted to use it in skating. I think it would be great for an adult/showcase piece!
Here's a video of the routine: http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/892/c6s.mp4

Hope this could help...anything by Apocolyptica I think is awesome :D

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions! I'm still unclear on the difference between artistic and showcase; can someone explain? Are they the same in both USFS and ISI?

My current program is actually to Apocolyptica's version of "Until It Sleeps." I love them too.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 08:35:38 AM »
In the USFS competitions I've seen, Artistic generally has no props and looks more like a freeskate program without jumps.  Emphasis is on expression of the music, timing, flow and presentation.  The announcement describes the criteria and may vary from competition to competition.  Showcase is more entertaiment style programs: costumes and props are encouraged and very often the application asks for the name or theme of the program.  Characters are common.  Sometimes jumps are limited but the judging criteria may include technical difficulty.  Again read the announcement for the description. 

In my mind, I think of Artistic as closer to Show Dance and Showcase as Entertainment Free Skating, but that's just my simplistic shortcut.

In ISI, I think Artistic is a form of Free Skating only without the jump requirements, but I could be wrong. 

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 11:05:55 AM »
When I was 13 I did a ballet/lyrical piece to "Fade to Black" by Apocalyptica at IDC, it was a very powerful piece and I've always wanted to use it in skating. I think it would be great for an adult/showcase piece!
Here's a video of the routine: http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/892/c6s.mp4

OMG Emily that is such a beautiful lyrical ballet number.  You were only 13 ... on point and and so poised.  Why did you stop dancing?  All that ballet will make your skating look so beautiful.
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com