You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: OTB or OTF tights at competition?  (Read 6879 times)

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
OTB or OTF tights at competition?
« on: April 29, 2012, 06:10:02 PM »
I searched and tried to see if there was a topic about this somewhere and couldn't find one, so I thought I'd just create a topic.
I was wondering, how do you decide whether to go over the boot or over the foot tights at competition?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: OTB or OTF tights at competition?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:12:06 PM »
I don't know that there's really much of a decision making process, it's simply personal preference.  Some people just don't like OTB tights, so they don't wear them :)

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 06:20:42 PM »
Oh, I see lol.

Another question I had - I am very very pale, and the only tights I have are sutan color (definitely makes me look like I'm wearing orange pants lol.)  I'd like to try to find a pair of tights that are pale, just because I don't like the look of dark tights on me. Are there any online stores that sell them?

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 06:35:26 PM »
I usually skate barefoot, so over-the-boot tights allow me to do that. I really like the look of them, and I'd estimate about 3/4 of the skaters in my area wear them.

But if I have lunges in my program, I make sure to practice them with the tights on. The tights rubbing against the ice feels different than the bare boot. It's not hard to get used to, but I don't want to be caught by surprise during a competition.

This site has Mondor tights in a "light tan" option: http://www.tidewaterice.com/tights.htm. I've never gotten anything besides the standard suntan even though I too have pale legs, so I don't know how they look on.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »
I was wondering, how do you decide whether to go over the boot or over the foot tights at competition?

Preference. And whether your skates are in presentable form.
(I have to wear OTB tights lol)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »
For me it depends on the costume.  Some costumes look better with otb tights but my fave is the look of itb tights.  With those if you buy dance tights you have many more skin color choices (and they are less expensive) and I love freshly polished white skates and clean laces. :WS:

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »
For me, OTB tights. It covers all the cuts and scratches on my boots.  :)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »
Also OTB tights lengthen the leg line. 

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 09:05:13 PM »
Coach preference.  Some coaches don't like a particular tight style/don't permit them (depending on how dicatatorial the relationship is  ;D)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »

And sometimes makes the feet look like hooves.

That said, I wear them because I skate barefoot. But footless tights over the ankle look way worse.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »
I have light tan mondor tights and when I opened the package I thought I was sent regular suntan by mistake, but I compared them to my old tights and they are a few shades lighter.

What is with the footless tights hate? I don't mind the look of them.

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 09:56:36 PM »

Another question I had - I am very very pale, and the only tights I have are sutan color (definitely makes me look like I'm wearing orange pants lol.)  I'd like to try to find a pair of tights that are pale, just because I don't like the look of dark tights on me.

I have occasionally seen skaters with the combination of skin tone and color of tights that do give the impression of orange legs, and it just looks weird. If the Mondor tights do not have the correct shade for your skin tone, try dance tights, or surgical compression support sheer-to-the-waist pantyhose. They may not have the life of skaters tights, but if you use them only for competition, they may last longer that what you would think.  

The choice of OTB tights or in-the-boot tights is really a matter of personal preference. But I always thought that OTB tights were for synchro skaters, and seeing them on other ice skaters just looks a bit odd, IMO. But that's just me.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 10:29:21 PM »

I think it might make you think your legs are longer when you are looking down at them but I don't think it does anything good for anything.  When a skater is wearing them the flaws in their skating look really obvious like unpointed toes and poor extension.

Just my 2 cents as a judge.  I like the itb tights with nice white boots and yes I do notice if you have dirty skates/laces.

It's all in the details.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »
I think it might make you think your legs are longer when you are looking down at them but I don't think it does anything good for anything.  When a skater is wearing them the flaws in their skating look really obvious like unpointed toes and poor extension.

I've always preferred the OTB look on competitive skaters, although they all seem to have long leg lines to start with.

When it comes to myself, OTB tights somehow makes me feel more graceful. With very short legs, even deception in leg line is better than brutal truth ;)

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 12:28:10 AM »
I always wear footed tights, but I am a sucker for the classic white boot look. I look after mine and cover them with sk8tape so they're always white and shiny. Then I always wash/change my laces. I can't stand the idea of competing with less-than-white skates/laces!

I loathe the look of OTB tights and they really only work on certain body types. On me they make me look short and fat.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »
What is with the footless tights hate? I don't mind the look of them.

They really truncate the leg line when they are pulled over the top of a boot.  One or two skaters in the qualifying round of World's wore them and it really hurt the look of their positions.  Like there is no stretch to the leg...

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 09:18:03 AM »
Have you tried OTB tights on? I bought some OTB ones but they looked really odd on me. My skates are quite bulky (Riedell 2010 LS) so it just looked like I had huge misshappen lumps at the end of my already fat legs. :blush: I gave them to a friend!

I'm tall AND overweight so I'm hoping footless tights will be a little more forgiving on the staying up versus foot comfort front than footed (& I can still wear my normal ankle highs!). They'll be tucked in and hopefully look just like footed tights. (I don't think the ankle end would stretch and stay put over my extra padded boot top and it would probably look a bit odd too!)

Can't decide on which colour to order though - Mondor suntan makes me look like I've been tangoed, but matches the padded back of my boot better than the light tan. Light tan is more my skin colour... Choices, choices!  88)

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 09:00:26 AM »
I'd go with what matches your skin color best.   Sometimes i wear a thin pair under my thick pair because my legs stay warmer in warm up. 

I like the ones that are not OTB, but my skates are so beat up right now, I would opt for OTB.  Some brands are REALLY thin, so go with Mondor.  Now they make them with velcro instead of snaps which makes EVERYTHING so much easier.  I like to re-lace at the last minute, which may be a bad habit, but the velcro simplifies that stress!

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 09:32:47 AM »
Different Mondor models also have different shades of "Suntan". I think it has something to do with (a) how thick the tights are, and (b) if the tights are satiny, matte, shimmery, etc.