You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: practicing right before a competition  (Read 5406 times)

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
Re: practicing right before a competition
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »
You always want to practice your test elements on the ice surface where you'll be testing.  If you can do it sometime in the week leading up to the test, that's great.  If you have no choice but to do it the day of the test, I think it's still better than not doing it (but, of course, don't tire yourself out).  Different rinks have slightly different dimensions, and some rinks have slower/faster ice, or even hills on the ice that you need to compensate for.  And all rinks have different visual cues, which can play a bigger part than you realize.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 06:59:16 PM »
You always want to practice your test elements on the ice surface where you'll be testing.  If you can do it sometime in the week leading up to the test, that's great.  If you have no choice but to do it the day of the test, I think it's still better than not doing it (but, of course, don't tire yourself out).  Different rinks have slightly different dimensions, and some rinks have slower/faster ice, or even hills on the ice that you need to compensate for.  And all rinks have different visual cues, which can play a bigger part than you realize.

I agree! I have not tested myself, but my daughter seems to do much better on ice she has skated on before. For competitions, we have been known to participate in 2 practice ice sessions for her freeskate program. Generally speaking, it helps her out a lot. Definitely practice at the rink of possible. Also, if there is a possibility of your test being double paneled(meaning 2 skaters on the ice), find out what end you will be testing on. That helps to know where you will need to begin your moves.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 08:36:07 PM »
find out what end you will be testing on.

Is that decided in advance at your test sessions?  My past experiences were:

- When there was one other adult taking the same test, agreeing between the two of us in advance.  The judges didn't give instructions.

- When I was the only adult, the judges changed which group I was testing with at the last minute.