You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: (Mature) Adult Aches and Pains ...... How is everyone coping?  (Read 12243 times)

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
Hi ladies (and gents, if there are any out here) .....   I'm cranky this week.  School is out so my rink is crowded.  My legs are aching, my back is sore, my bad knee is stiff and my good knee is starting to experience twinges of pain.  I'm lapping up Joint Juice every day and chewing Trader Joe's calcium supplements.  I'm going to the gym 2-3 times a week for additional cardio and strength and stretching and I sit in my hot tub every day before I skate to warm up and every evening to relax.  I guess it's just the price I am paying for trying to participate in this sport at my age, in my condition.   I wonder if skating 2-3 days per week instead of 4-5 would benefit me?  Anyone else feel like they have been run over by a Mack truck sometimes?

Mod note: thread moved.
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: (Mature) Adult Aches and Pains ...... How is everyone coping?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 09:32:23 PM »
It has been 4 months since I was last in physical therapy and my knees are starting to get mad at me.  I don't know if there is anything I can do to keep them from acting up.  I keep up with (most of) the exercises, I use the foam roller religiously.  I've started plunging them to help mobilize them, but without the target massage by the PT I don't know if I can prevent myself from needing to go back.  They just don't like skating- or any other form of exercise.

My hip is okay as long as I stay away from spirals.   Although after a particularly intense lesson of loops, it gave out on me the next day. I stood up, walked two steps, and nearly fell over.  I couldn't bear weight at all.  Took a few minutes of rubbing before I could continue on.

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 09:39:53 PM »
It has been 4 months since I was last in physical therapy and my knees are starting to get mad at me.  I don't know if there is anything I can do to keep them from acting up.  I keep up with (most of) the exercises, I use the foam roller religiously.  I've started plunging them to help mobilize them, but without the target massage by the PT I don't know if I can prevent myself from needing to go back.  They just don't like skating- or any other form of exercise.

My hip is okay as long as I stay away from spirals.   Although after a particularly intense lesson of loops, it gave out on me the next day. I stood up, walked two steps, and nearly fell over.  I couldn't bear weight at all.  Took a few minutes of rubbing before I could continue on.

Hey girlfriend .. I said "mature" .... you are too young!!!  Ha ha.... hey regarding the foam roller.  My trainer at the gym put me on this to get my muscles working correctly.  He says my knee is going in and my foot is going out when I do deep knee bends ... but the foam hurts my leg SO much ... like it's rolling over bruised tissue .... do they always hurt like that?
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »
The foam roller hurts like crazy.  But I can barely walk without it, so I love it.
My husband won't touch it, he doesn't think it is worth it.

My PT has shown me ways to support some of my weight on other parts of my body when I roll certain spaces that cannot tolerate the full pressure, and I gradually increase the weight.  For example- my IT band, instead of rolling in a side-plank type position that would put all my weigh (except what is on my hand) on the roller, I cross my free foot over my rolling leg and hold it on the floor to hold up more of my weight.  

For squats, I use an exercise ball against the wall to hold some of my weight. Especially one leg squats I can't support my entire weight on my knees.  I only do these in front of the mirror, as I have to watch my knees, but also watch where my weight balance is.  I tend to squat 80% on the right side and 20% on the left.  Apparently it should be 50/50.  I am so right side dominant it isn't funny.

As for young- yeah, but I'm falling apart.  I have tendonitis pretty much everywhere I can (ankles, knees, hips, wrists, elbows, shoulders),  I have bad tracking in my knees, I have a labral tear in my hip, I still haven't gotten back my full range of motion from my wrist sprain this year, plus the cervical fusion always causes troubles...

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »
The foam roller hurts like crazy.  But I can barely walk without it, so I love it.
My husband won't touch it, he doesn't think it is worth it.

My PT has shown me ways to support some of my weight on other parts of my body when I roll certain spaces that cannot tolerate the full pressure, and I gradually increase the weight.  For example- my IT band, instead of rolling in a side-plank type position that would put all my weigh (except what is on my hand) on the roller, I cross my free foot over my rolling leg and hold it on the floor to hold up more of my weight.  

For squats, I use an exercise ball against the wall to hold some of my weight. Especially one leg squats I can't support my entire weight on my knees.  I only do these in front of the mirror, as I have to watch my knees, but also watch where my weight balance is.  I tend to squat 80% on the right side and 20% on the left.  Apparently it should be 50/50.  I am so right side dominant it isn't funny.

As for young- yeah, but I'm falling apart.  I have tendonitis pretty much everywhere I can (ankles, knees, hips, wrists, elbows, shoulders),  I have bad tracking in my knees, I have a labral tear in my hip, I still haven't gotten back my full range of motion from my wrist sprain this year, plus the cervical fusion always causes troubles...

Im glad I am not the only one who feels pain on that thing.  I am trying to continue but use less weight where it hurts... good idea.  I'm doing squats on that 1/2 ball thingy ... it's flat on top and a ball on the bottom.... really hard to balance
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »
Im glad I am not the only one who feels pain on that thing.  I am trying to continue but use less weight where it hurts... good idea.  I'm doing squats on that 1/2 ball thingy ... it's flat on top and a ball on the bottom.... really hard to balance

ooh- the bosu is hard.  I never had to do squats on it, I have enough issues with regular ones to add that- but had to do one leg balances with my eyes closed.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »
at 60 my best friend is Advil. First one two hours before skate, second one an hour before skate. Skate without pain.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »
I'm fighting with an upper back muscle spasm, and a blister on each foot. The spasm is from sleeping wrong...and the blisters are from wearing some really hot shoes that were a bit too tight.  I've shelved the shoes and have been applying heat/ice to my back. 
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »
A.M. pains, arthritis, back pain from spiral positions including camel spin positions are rapidly becoming my nemesis. Walking around on my toepicks, which my coach put into both my programs, seems to set off the arthritis in my toes and the cold (okay, also flat ironing my hair and knitting) sets off the arthritis in my hands.

My knees have always been pretty manageable other than the Baker's cysts I have, but I've been working on getting my sit spin lower and while I'm doing pretty well in getting fairly low for "a woman of a certain age," getting back up is quite the struggle! It might be partly because I've been working my jumps pretty hard and that seems to be causing more trouble for my knees.

I'm using ibuprofen and the hot tub. When my back or my knees get bad I use an ice pack and then a heating pad.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 12:15:58 PM »
ooh- the bosu is hard.  I never had to do squats on it, I have enough issues with regular ones to add that- but had to do one leg balances with my eyes closed.

A bit off topic, but I saw Lindsey Vonn's gym workout on youtube and she was doing squats standing on one of those large fitness balls.  Her trainer was throwing heavy medicine balls to her to the left and to the right and she had to catch them without losing balance!  I was so impressed and amazed!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 01:22:25 PM »
My trainer makes me lift weights and squats at the same time on the bosu ball. Also, one legged balance.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
The foam roller hurts like crazy.

Where can I get this foam roller?  Is it like this:
Amazon

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 01:32:28 PM »
Ok, I feel better (in that I am not alone) ... but I do feel for each and everyone suffering with all these ailments .... and yet, we keep on skating.  I have had 4 days off the ice and tomorrow I will start a new week and hopefully make a little progress!!
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »
Where can I get this foam roller?  Is it like this:
Amazon
Yes. Mine is a bit shorter and looks harder.  I am going to order what you found on amazon as it looks more forgiving.....
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »
Yoga.

Yoga.

Yoga.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 02:56:53 PM »
I noticed a skater at our rink who always brings her foam roller with her has started bringing a white stick instead.  I might try that- easier to travel with.  (I take a tennis ball with me to competitions to roll out all the muscles before hand.)

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »
I noticed a skater at our rink who always brings her foam roller with her has started bringing a white stick instead.  I might try that- easier to travel with.  (I take a tennis ball with me to competitions to roll out all the muscles before hand.)
I haven't participated in a competition yet, just my first test.  I am still having issues with getting to the rink early enough and finding a place to stretch out and warm up.  I feel awkward warming up (again I skate at public sessions) .... kind of like I'm sneaking in somewhere I am not supposed to be .... feeling..... does that make sense to anyone?  I usually soak in my hot tub at home before I go, then do a few stretches in the kitchen, but not a whole warm up routine.  I would probably skate better if I did!
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »
Yoga.

Yoga.

Yoga.
I tried 2 classes and I am terrible.  Even the basic positions hurt.  I even tried a "coached yoga" for older people or those with issues ....
One thing I notice about Yoga is so much is done on a flat foot ... toes spread.... which is so unlike skating ...... what are your thoughts on that?
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »
The motions of the sun salutation in yoga are good for your back, shoulders, hips, and core. :)  Yoga is also good for helping figure out body awareness and breathing.  My personal trainer also teaches yoga...Our PT sessions have gotten more intense (except F and this coming M due to ANs) and I hurt some the next day, but my strength, conditioning, and body awareness are WAY up.

Offline LilJen

• Total GOE: 56
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »
I now regularly hear my knees crunching as i ascend stairs, but it's not painful.

Strangely enough, my right knee has not been bothering me much at all lately, whereas up until like Feb it was really hurting to the point where I nearly made an appointment with the orthopod.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
I tried 2 classes and I am terrible.  Even the basic positions hurt.  I even tried a "coached yoga" for older people or those with issues ....

I think I am in a somewhat unique position - I have been doing yoga (hatha, asana, kundalini, bhakti, you name it) for over 40 years, since I was in high school actually in the early '70s.  For the last 36 years I have been involved in a yoga community and have watched the evolution of the types of yoga that we teach/practice.  For about the last ten-fifteen years I have done regular asana practice but a lot of it probably does not resemble the yoga that is taught in most classes that you can find.  I have worked with a PT that does a yoga-based physical therapy along with regular "PT"-types of treatments.       Occassionally I will attend a class or workshop from different teachers who people think are "great" but generally find them lacking in basic understanding of what yoga is - the "vanity yoga" that is so popular now which is maybe not so great for everyone.

Anyway, maybe yoga is not for everyone but seeing as this thread is about how we are taking care of our aging bodies I think that yoga, pilates, some form of conscious movement is important if we are to stay healthy and strong as we age.  As far as being good for skating?  Who knows?  Definitely good for body awareness.

One thing I notice about Yoga is so much is done on a flat foot ... toes spread.... which is so unlike skating ...... what are your thoughts on that?

Well, my skating foot is flat, toes should be relaxed at least so you can get the best flow.  I have found that my feet are very strong probably from skating but also the yoga helps with basic awareness of your foot on the ground or on the ice.  I don't see a difference really.  Flexed-foot, pointed foot, all of these foot positions can be done in what can be called yoga.  Maybe some of the postures and movements can help with knee and ankle and hip flexibility.  Definitely shoulders and back flexibility.

I have scoliosis, lordosis and kyphosis in my spine.  Ten years ago I started to get that "caved in chest" look - working with the yoga physical therapist and having a dedicated yoga practice I can say that my chest is more open, shoulders back, eyes forward - my body looks completely different than it did ten years ago and I am in much less pain.

Diet is key also - in the last month I have experimented with a gluten-free diet.  The changes have not been particularly earth-shattering but my back hurts less and I feel lighter although I have not lost any weight.  Being careful what you do with and what you put into your body is important especially as we age.

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »
I tried 2 classes and I am terrible.  Even the basic positions hurt.  I even tried a "coached yoga" for older people or those with issues ....

Any treatment you try you should give a few weeks, you often have to work through a few weeks of pain to get the gain...

Have you tried Reformer pilates? I started 7 weeks ago to help with nagging pain from old injuries & its really helping - my stuffed wrist that I injured 18 months ago that never fully responded to treatment - has suddenly started feeling less restricted (something I never expected) & my turn outs have improved too :)

My mother comes along too - so she'd fit in your age group. For her its been a more painful slog BUT she's really starting to feel the rewards now.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
I found that for learning any new off-ice practice I had to do it for 6 weeks.

I did yoga and I saw gains in flexibility. But it was in the Y and I just couldn't stand the smell of the disinfectant they used.

Also, the yoga teachers dimmed the room so if you didn't know the routines you couldn't see her very well.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 10:38:37 PM »
I found that for learning any new off-ice practice I had to do it for 6 weeks.

I did yoga and I saw gains in flexibility. But it was in the Y and I just couldn't stand the smell of the disinfectant they used.

Also, the yoga teachers dimmed the room so if you didn't know the routines you couldn't see her very well.

This is so true re: doing it for at least 6 weeks!  I have definitely had the experience of not having practiced any yoga or anything for a while, maybe recovering from an injury, etc., and having the first few classes be very uncomfortable, no matter how gentle the approach...

Also if you are really sore afterwards or the instructor can't give you any modifications for the poses and asanas, then try another class, another teacher, because it is not supposed to hurt and there is no "one way" to do any of it (kind of like skating!) - you have to find what works for you.

Yeah, I don't like when they dim the lights too much in yoga classes - kind of makes me dizzy...

And the atmosphere studio or yoga room or whatever really does make a difference in how you experience the practice!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 03:27:53 AM »
at 60 my best friend is Advil. First one two hours before skate, second one an hour before skate. Skate without pain.

We were wondering if they'll sponsor our adult synchro team given the amount needed to put a full team on the ice!