You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ISI vs. USFS  (Read 5197 times)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
ISI vs. USFS
« on: March 06, 2012, 09:22:39 PM »
Do you only do one or the other when you compete and test? I notice people here seem to talk more about USFS. My club is a USFS club, and I'm doing USFS tests, but more of the competitions in our area seem to be ISI.

I prefer USFS because it has the adult track, and my USFS programs seem to emphasis my strengths more than ISI does. I'm probably going to do ISI Freestyle 3 again this year, but I still struggle with the change-foot spin in it, which requires stepping from a forward scratch into a back scratch and then back into the forward scratch. Even when I pull it off, I'm hopelessly dizzy afterwards, and it seems to come so easily to the kids at this level!

The nice thing about ISI, though, is the competitions are generally 1/2 or 1/3 the price of USFS.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: ISI vs. USFS
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 09:28:54 PM »
ISI is really fun.  I like that there are a whole slew of events I can enter (and it is usually affordable- often $10 for a second event...) I love doing the rhythmic events and the "interpretive" (improv) is my favorite.

Our USFS competitions often have events like spins or jumps, but at $30 a pop, it isn't worth it to me. 

I don't like how rigid ISI is about the elements though (but their new open levels change this, I just don't know anything about them).  I did ISI 3 and had a change foot at the time, but I can't do it anymore.  I like that the USFS levels are flexible and you can put in what you can do.  Around here, no one in the adult levels really takes advantage of this (sandbagging...) however I've seen kids in no test doing elements that could beat the kids in preliminary...  They were from areas that don't test up as quickly- I would bet if the coach's knew that our area tests sooner they wouldn't have skated up at to pre-pre...

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »
The ISI open levels are really meant to encourage USFSA skaters to participate in ISI events.  The open levels are much more flexible than the traditional levels in terms of requirements for both the test and the program, and you can just take whatever test is your current level - you don't have to take all of the preceeding tests if you have passed at least pre-pre or pre-bronze with USFSA.

You can read more about it here: http://www.skateisi.com/site/contentPDF/openFSx.pdf

If you've already taken ISI tests, there is some overlap in the open levels too.  I've passed FS5 (ages ago), so I could compete in either silver or gold without having to take a test.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »
We do both.  ISI is a great season warm up for testing out new programs (open levels are awesome) and esp for kids - the skating is fun.  No one tracks results, it's just kind of relaxed and when your rink holds it it's filled with friends and it tends to be less expensive.

USFS is a different experience.  It just feels more serious.  You only know a handful of kids, you travel a little further, and there can be a higher quality of skating to view.  You'll see some comps that are heavy with Senior skaters, while with ISI the highest levels tend to top out at FS6/7.

I really think both organizations compliment each other well. 

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:02:31 AM »
The rink where I skated before my long years of break from skating, was ISI focused, so most people didn't do USFSA testing.  In all the time I skated there, there was only ever 1 USFSA testing session.  I did preliminary FS and Figures tests at that time and never had the opportunity to take higher tests.  I was not into competing, so testing was not a big deal anyway (only competed in ISI twice, though placed 3rd and 1st respectively). 

Now that I'm back to skating, I'm thinking that after I get all my elements back, I might do the USFSA testing on adult track.  However, I really don't like that MIF is prerequisite of FS tests, and the requirement is going to be a big decision-making factor. 

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:07:20 PM »
However, I really don't like that MIF is prerequisite of FS tests, and the requirement is going to be a big decision-making factor. 
I don't LIKE it, as I think I could pass the FS tests more easily, but I know it's good for me to work on those moves.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:13:48 PM »
I don't LIKE it, as I think I could pass the FS tests more easily, but I know it's good for me to work on those moves.

Agreed - I think the moves tests put more emphasis on developing strong skating skills and not just getting jumps and spins.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 03:05:38 AM »
Let me clarify... I don't like the MIF requirement because it is not an adequate replacement for  compulsory figures.  I can't anymore about it without hijacking.

Offline LilJen

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 56
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
I've ended up doing both. Am VERY happy about the ISI open bronze/silver/gold levels, as they allow much more freedom, as does the new "you can do any spin at any level" rule. For a recent ISI competition, I only had to change a jump (which I didn't really "have" and wasn't passing to USFS standard anyhow) in my USFS freeskate program. And like Skittl, I like (1) the much lower cost of ISI and (2) the variety of events--footwork, artistic, interp (ie, improv), jump/spin teams, compulsories, etc.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »
I've ended up doing both. Am VERY happy about the ISI open bronze/silver/gold levels, as they allow much more freedom, as does the new "you can do any spin at any level" rule.

I, too, really like the new open spin rule.  I used to feel really limited by change foot, 1 and 2 foot spins.  My last ISI Open Bronze, I did camel, attitude, and scratch spin. 

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 08:44:52 PM »
The open levels are always an option on my competition forms, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone enter them. I wonder if it's a regional thing?