You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Tightening skates and blisters in my pinkie fingers  (Read 6549 times)

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 16
Tightening skates and blisters in my pinkie fingers
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:52:28 PM »
Dumb question, but I have new Jackson freestyle skates that I'm Still breaking in, and I just can't seem to get the laces tight enough around the ankle.  Right before you go up the hooks..in trying to do this every time I come home, I have tiny blisters on The outer sides of both my pinkie fingers...

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Tightening skates and blisters in my pinkie fingers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:58:07 PM »
It's the laces.  New laces stretch as you use them - takes a few weeks for them to stop stretching.

You can tie a half-knot above the eyelets before you lace the hooks and that will keep the lower part of the boot from slipping.  If you apply the laces around the hooks from top to bottom (instead of bottom-to-top), it helps keep them taut.

The pinky callouses are from the nylon in the laces.  Wear bandaids/gloves to protect your fingers or switch to cotton or cotton/poly laces.  A pumice stone/moisturizer or "Pretty Feet & Hands" will help the callouses go away. 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »
Is it also normal to feel like I have to tighten them a couple times a session....

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
Yes.  You should be relacing every 40 minutes or so with new skates.

New laces stretch a little everytime you skate.  After a bit of skating, the skates will feel loose.
Then you have to unlace and retie the laces.  It's annoying and time-consuming initially , but it does stop after a while.

-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:15:27 PM »
Ok..good..I was getting nervous that maybe my skates were too big...but I think I was sized correctly by the pro shop...

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »
You might also try a metal lacing hook. I use one because of arthritis in my fingers. It makes it a lot easier to lace snugly, without hurting your fingers.

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:17:24 PM »
Thanks, I was just thinking of that:)

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »
I've got calluses on my index fingers from tightening my laces. I think it's normal.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 05:29:05 PM »
The blisters will eventually toughen up and become calluses, which is what you want.   In the meantime- you can use bandaids (I use a roll of soft athletic tape).  I personally hate thick cotton  laces, because they take a lot more force to pull through the eyelets and I ended up with bleeding blisters many times. I think a medium lace that is a nylon-cotton blend will be better.
Laces will eventually stretch and will not need to be tightened frequently, but for the break-in period it is very normal and expected to be retying the boots all the time.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 10:24:06 PM »
I have very dry skin and rink air, especially in the winter, is no help.  My pinky calluses (from all the tying and retying new skates) recently split open!  Trying to tie skates burned.  I grabbed my husband's NUskin and not only did it cover the open cut, it seems to have helped the healing quite a bit.

Offline emitche

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 08:53:43 AM »
Have you tried pulling the laces down and not up?

Skaters Landing recommends pulling the laces down next to the boot, as there is less resistance.

These videos might be helpful:

Also, the last part of your tounge above your ankle does not have to be super tight and flat against your leg. You also don't need to lace to the last hook, especially if you are breaking in new skates.
Adult Pre-bronze Moves (Oct 16)
Adult Bronze Moves (May 18)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »
Totally OT: at times, the SL narrator sounds like Casey Kasem, lol. 
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 01:51:57 PM »
I think the videos are great.

But for me, if I don't tie a double knot at the top, they slip over time, so I do.

BTW, if you can't tie a bow tie without loosing tension, as your finger in the middle of the knot comes free, recognize that a bow tie is a double slipped granny knot. In other words, tie the initial overhand (where one lace is looped around the other), then grab the laces closer to the hooks, so you are holding a loop (technically, a "bight") in each hand, and complete the second overhand with those loops. That way you never need to release tension.

I know it's a little slower, but I also initially tie the bottom loop loose, and lace things up moderately tight all the way up the holes. Then I go back, and tighten each level loop in turn.

Perhaps it's because I don't use waxed laces, but I find that if I let go of the laces at each level, the way he does, they slip back a little, and won't be as tight. So instead of just letting go, the way he does, I put two fingers over the holes, so they can't slip, and tighten with the other fingers. That's part of why I need two iterations - my hands can't stretch enough to tighten while using the two fingers, so I only do the two finger thing the second iteration. When tying the hooks, I don't let go, but keep tension on the laces while switching hands.

It seems like we all spend a lot of time figuring out how to lace our boots so they work. Such a simple skill, yet we have to relearn it for snug lacing! Sometimes skating makes us feel like little kids again

I used to use a lace hook, but with this method, I don't need it. Like the video guy, I have no callouses or blisters. Maybe someone who used hand lotion to make her skin soft would need gloves, or would get callouses or blisters.

Not many people even can do this, but laces can be too tight. You don't want laces so tight they create a break down crease by direct pressure, nor do you want the "lace bite" to make your feet hurt or go  numb. And, like the video guy says, you still need to be able to flex and point your ankle forward and back.

The hockey kid in a local shop claims it's a lot easier with waxed laces. He says the laces don't slip, so you can tie everything normally. I've never tried waxed laces. I wonder if there is a downside. The ones he had in the shop only fit hockey boots - too wide for my holes.

One last thing. Some people here have said that lacing is a lot easier if you use the "Lace Vice" device, where you just pull the laces, then slide them into the sailing-style jam cleats.

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 03:05:41 PM »
Great videos and info ! Thanx

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 07:32:59 PM »
I have permanent calluses on both of my pinkie fingers from tightening my laces so much lol:) I found that I definitely would need to tighten my laces when I was breaking in new boots, but I still find myself readjusting almost every time I skate.  And as someone above had mentioned, its from the nylon in the laces.  I have Jackson elites and they come with a cotton/nylon blend type of lace, I believe or at least that's what my pro shop told me ;)

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 07:11:29 PM »
Oh yeah. It helps a lot to use laces that aren't twisted too.