You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Runny Nose Solution  (Read 7972 times)

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
Runny Nose Solution
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:07:15 AM »
I've seen other skaters talk about the need to use colored tissues while skating, so that if you drop a Kleenex on the ice, it doesn't vanish. Well, I've got a major problem with my nose running when I skate. I don't know if it's the cold, or the activity, or what, but I have to stop every 10 minutes or so to blow my nose while I'm in class, and every 5 minutes when I'm practicing. (I go longer in class because I know I'm wasting valuable time to blow my nose when I could be learning something, so I'm typically miserable for several minutes until I finally interrupt the session to stop and blow my nose.) I've tried taking decongestants, I've tried allergy pills, I've tried nose spray. . . . Nothing works. I'm doomed to a perpetually dripping nose when I skate.

At any rate, I tried Kleenex, but I got tired of the fuzzy dust sticking to the tip of my nose. Besides, I was going through a ton of them, and I didn't want to have to carry around a whole packet of tissues in my pocket while skating. And I didn't want a pocket full of used tissues, either. My solution? I have a large, soft, white men's handkerchief that belonged to my late grandfather. It works perfectly! I keep it in my pocket and pull it out whenever I need to blow my nose. It doesn't waste dozens of tissues, it doesn't leave dust on my nose, and it's soft enough that it's comfortable to use. When I get home, I toss it in the laundry (in a lingerie bag, usually with my skating tights) and hang it up to dry. It doesn't need ironing, thank goodness, but if it did, it would only take a few seconds.

Now, the trick is finding new ones. This is a vintage handkerchief. You can buy lace-trimmed or embroidered "vintage style" handkerchiefs on eBay, but I worry that they'll be too thin and too small. No way of knowing for sure without buying one. I bought a pack of men's handkerchiefs at Wal-Mart, but they were very stiff and brightly colored, very masculine-looking, so I didn't care for them at all. I've considered sewing my own, but I haven't had the time. Probably my best bet will be to find men's vintage handkerchiefs on eBay. Meanwhile, I'll just keep using my grandfather's handkerchief.

What do you do for your runny nose when you skate? Is it even a problem? Have you found anything that helps? Would a handkerchief work for you or does the idea gross you out?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Runny Nose Solution
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »
I prefer a tissue because I don't usually have pockets on the ice. Tissue boxes can sit on the boards.  I've never seen a tissue dropped on the ice.

I only occasionally have runny nose issues, but since pretty much every elite skater prepares for their program by blowing their nose while a coach talks to them, I'd say it is something pretty much everyone experiences to some degree.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:00:02 PM »
I also have the runny nose issue.  I always bring a box of ultra soft 3-ply Kleenex with me and put it on the boards.  The used tissue go in the pocket of my warm-up jacket that I hang next to the box.
What I found is that if I fight the urge to blow my nose in the very beginning of the session, I can go a lot longer without having to blow it frequently.  Granted, it can be uncomfortable for a few minutes as blowing the nose is all I can think about, but it is definitely worth it.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 01:00:42 PM »
Tissues here on the wall as well.  There is a garbage right in the box so they are used and tossed.  It might seem like it takes awhile, but it's only a few seconds.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 03:45:22 PM »
I use handkerchiefs. I've a stockpile so they get cycled around and dumped in the wash. I make sure I'm wearing a top with a zip pocket to put the handky in. 

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:35:04 PM »
I use handkerchiefs. I've a stockpile so they get cycled around and dumped in the wash. I make sure I'm wearing a top with a zip pocket to put the handky in. 
Yay, I'm not alone!  ;D

I always wear an athletic-style jacket that has pockets at the front hips, so I stash my hanky in there while I'm skating. It has the unfortunate effect of making me look pregnant, but there's not much I can do about that.

When I'm not in a lesson, I always leave the ice before I blow my nose, just to keep from embarrassing myself. In a lesson, that would waste a lot of time, so I do it wherever I happen to be, but I try to be quick about it, so we can get on with the class. I'm grateful that my teacher is so understanding. She never complains when I have to stop to blow my nose, but I try to time it for while she's explaining or demonstrating something. I would just be standing there idle, anyway, so I might as well use those precious seconds to take care of my nose.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »
I've found that I only worry about dropping a tissue during lessons when I like to keep going and not waste my time going to the trash in the hockey box. I stuff them in my pants pocket and they've been known to escape.

I'm the one who recommends colored tissues for that reason.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:46:27 PM »
I prefer tissues in a travel pack that I can carry around in my pocket, and I put the used tissue in my pocket (so I always have a pocket, whether on my jacket or on my pants). As for the handkerchiefs, have you tried Target?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:13:03 PM »
This thread really make me miss handkerchiefs from childhood. Ebay does have some cheap cotton ones but it's hard to tell whether it's soft.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:39:47 PM »
I haven't checked Target, but I will the next time I get a chance. Thanks!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 02:00:04 AM »
Kirkland baby wipes allegedly work nicely as reuseable tissues / handkerchief replacement, very soft on the nose and lasts several dozens of washes. Anyone tried it before?

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 02:02:31 AM »
Kirkland baby wipes allegedly work nicely as reuseable tissues / handkerchief replacement, very soft on the nose and lasts several dozens of washes. Anyone tried it before?
I've never used baby wipes for my nose. What an interesting idea! I mostly use them when I paint, to wipe smudges of oil paint off my hands. They work great for that purpose. I'll have to give them a try as disposable hankies.

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »
I thought I was the only one that had the nose blowing problem.  No matter what I have the worst runny nose and it takes so much time.  It's like this when I am outdoors bike riding or running.  ANNOYING!

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 08:39:16 PM »
I keep a tissue or a pack of tissues in my jacket pocket, and I just stuff them back in once I've used them. I guess it is gross, but I just don't think about it.  :D

I've never heard of a tissue "disappearing" on the ice. Seems like a balled-up one would be pretty easy to spot, and an unused, flat one would float down so gradually you could grab it or spot it.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 11:09:04 AM »
A lot of elite skaters get reminded by their coaches on TV to blow their noses just before they step on the ice. Sometimes TV cameramen with their parabolic mics get us a little too close!

In a typical camping goods store, you can find lots of handkerchiefs you can touch, and test for softness. I don't know if any of them will be feminine colors. You could also try washable scarfs. Or cut yourself a swatch of soft washable fabric, like fleece, from a fabric store.

I sometimes wipe my nose on my machine washable fleece jacket sleeve. It takes too much time to dig a handkerchief.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 08:16:21 PM »
I use old pillowcases cut up and hemmed for utility handkerchiefs.

I started that because I noted that when I used handkerchiefs my colds didn't last as long, and they weren't as bad. I theorize that the fluff off of tissues, irritates the inner nose and sinuses, and makes the cold worse.

Also my nose doesn't get as scabbrous as it does with tissues.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 08:29:03 PM »
Also my nose doesn't get as scabbrous as it does with tissues.

"Scabbrous".  Love that word!!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 09:19:39 PM »
I use handkerchiefs mostly, and put them in the pockets of the light jacket I use for skating.

If I don't have it on...well, I'm afraid I go all gross and just wipe my nose on the back of my hand.  :blush:
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!