You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Custom Boot Query  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Custom Boot Query
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:35:35 PM »
One of the posters in the Kling thread made an interesting comment: that their Klings fit like tennis shoes, but, perhaps that was because they were custom.

IF custom skates are made to fit the skaters feet, then, how are the custom skates of different manufacturers differentiated?  They all seem to have the same basic options available; the point around "Riedell foot" vs "SpTeri foot" should be eliminated, as they are fitted to the skater ...  I'm curious as to what makes a "Kling" custom better/worse than Harlick, SPTeri, Jackson, etc.

The only experience we have had thus far is in Kling customs; however, we're changing manufacturers as we're queasy about the longevity of Klings and figured it best to bite the bullet and move on (plus couldn't manage a trip to NYC right now). Just intrigued as to the experience with other customs ... :)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Custom Boot Query
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:25:13 PM »
Boot makers vary in how what measurements are taken, how they are taken, how they assume the foot is loaded, and how they compensate for assumed shape changes with loading, and what modifications to the shape of their lasts they are able to make.

The changes they make are mostly minor.

That answers your question about why you can have feet that matches one brand better than another, but it does not help you find what type of foot you have. Sorry.

BTW, the brand that works well for your coach or your friends may not work well for you.

Offline bambucci

• Teacher | Learner
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:04:18 AM »
I'm curious as to what makes a "Kling" custom better/worse than Harlick, SPTeri, Jackson, etc... Just intrigued as to the experience with other customs ... :)
I used to skate in SP Teri: Super Teri, SP Teri Deluxe, then later Advantage.  I loved them.  Once my feet stopped growing I switched to Harlick per coaches' advice.  I still have them today, granted they've been on a eight-year hiatus.  I had some initial pain re-breaking them (or more likely, my feet) in, but now that I've been back on the ice for awhile, they fit fine again.  They still look sharp and feel good.  Looking back, had I gotten SP Teri Customs, I believe I would have been just as happy.  I know someone who skates in them and swears by them.  I've never skated in Jacksons, stock or custom, so I can't tell you much about them, but another coach has a larger pair as back up for when her feet are swollen from her day job and she likes them.  Our SD has Klings and I told her they are closing - She will eventually need a new pair, but I think she's going to go with Riedell.  Good luck finding what works for you!
β€œIn three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.” ― Robert Frost

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 04:38:16 PM »
I am the one that said that and still to this day, my Klings fit and feel so dang good.  I love them!  I have skated in Ridell when they had Royal's and those hurt my feet constantly.  Then switched to SP Teri Super Teri Deluxe had the same problems.  Went to Klings and never had a single foot pain or had to wear bunga pads or anything.  I hope the SP Teri customs I get next are the same way.  I have long narrow  toe area, wide ball of foot and narrow heel.  I have some sensitive nerve spots that my Klings never bother. 

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 04:47:39 PM »
Custom Klingbeils and Harlicks have the footbed molded to the skater's foot, so think of it as a custom orthotic built in.   That's the difference. 

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 03:19:38 PM »
Don Klingbeil can make a skate fit any way you want it to. He's brilliant. I DON'T like mine fitting like a sneaker, so he doesn't make them that way.